Author Topic: Goodyear Tires  (Read 15786 times)

Offline bharmon77

Goodyear Tires
« on: December 14, 2007, 11:00:08 AM »
I see that practicaly all cars at Bonneville are running Goodyear rear tires that appear to be the same tread pattern and size range as the drag racing "Front Runner" tires. Are all tires at Bonneville the Goodyear LSR tires or are many of them the drag race "Front Runners"? What Goodyear tire dealer knows LSR tires?

Bruce Harmon
Still chiseling away in Ohio.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Goodyear Tires
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 11:36:07 AM »
I see that practicaly all cars at Bonneville are running Goodyear rear tires that appear to be the same tread pattern and size range as the drag racing "Front Runner" tires. Are all tires at Bonneville the Goodyear LSR tires or are many of them the drag race "Front Runners"? What Goodyear tire dealer knows LSR tires?

Bruce Harmon

The way I understand it they are made in the same mold, but the Land Speed tires have more plies (maybe just on the sidewall).  I'm using the land speed in the back and the front runners in the front.  There is a slight difference in diameter between them.

You can find a link to the Goodyear's and see the difference on the following page along with where I bought mine:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillecarpage-parts-used.html

c ya,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 11:38:53 AM »
If you didn't already know Goodyear does make a lsr tire using the drag frontrunner molds. They are speed rated to 300 mph at the given loads that can be found on the Goodyear web site. Some of the folks use the front runner drag tire at el mirage then switch to the lsr tire at Bonneville. The choice is up to you as it depends on the speed and weight of your vehicle. I'm not aware of what tires they use at the other venues like Maxton.

Carroll Shelby Enterprises in Las Vegas will have the tires if Goodyear has them avaliable at the time you call.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 11:41:24 AM by Dynoroom »
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 11:42:54 AM »
Are all tires at Bonneville the Goodyear LSR tires or are many of them the drag race "Front Runners"?

Bruce Harmon

Both run at Bonneville. Just depends on car speed and weight.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 11:56:25 AM »
Thank you for the help! The Goodyear web site shows both drag race and LSR tires under the heading for the Front Runner tires. This matches what Sum said. They have a speed rating on the site for the LSR tires but not for the drag race tire, the speed rating of a drag tire used for LSR would have to consider the sustained speed of a long course? Maybe someone at Carrol Shelby could shed some light on the drag tire used for LSR? Or maybe I could just ask some racers that have used them. I would hate to show up at Bonneville and not pass tech because I had Drag racing front runners on the car!
Thank you again for the help!

BHarmon

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 12:04:09 PM »
As Sum was saying, the difference is in the sidewall, 2 vs 6 ply I believe. During Tech @ El Mirage in November the Inspector notices some separation in the rear Goodyear Eagles and should be replaced before next year and mentiones they were inexpensive. I mentioned that they were the LSR tires ($300 each) and he said "hey, no problem".

You get what you pay for. Got mine from Carrol Shelby in LA.

Tom

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 03:31:16 PM »
.................... I mentioned that they were the LSR tires ($300 each) and he said "hey, no problem"..............Tom

Tom I think you will find that they are over $400 now  :cry:,

Sum

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 04:03:12 PM »
.................... I mentioned that they were the LSR tires ($300 each) and he said "hey, no problem"..............Tom

Tom I think you will find that they are over $400 now  :cry:,

Sum

you guys don't know hardship..... ...in your money we paid $1275 for our pair of 28" Goodbeer landspeeds........We've got Frontrunners on the other end......they were less than a third of the cost ,  hope they're at least a third as good. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »
Help me out guy's, I am not trying to cheap out where saftey is concerned but if you can run drag racing front runners on the front succesfully then why not on the rear of the same car? Or maybe the answer to my own question is; if the car is heavy enough and fast enough then you would use LSR tires front and rear??

BHarmon

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:35:46 PM »
You get what you pay for. Got mine from Carrol Shelby in LA.
Tom
They moved to Las Vegas.

Help me out guy's, I am not trying to cheap out where saftey is concerned but if you can run drag racing front runners on the front succesfully then why not on the rear of the same car? Or maybe the answer to my own question is; if the car is heavy enough and fast enough then you would use LSR tires front and rear??

BHarmon

Help us help you. What type of car, speed, weight, and race venue?
If the car weighs over 2800 lbs & was running at the salt I'd have lsr tires. Your milage may vary.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 06:11:51 PM »
Help me out guy's, I am not trying to cheap out where safety is concerned but if you can run drag racing front runners on the front successfully then why not on the rear of the same car? Or maybe the answer to my own question is; if the car is heavy enough and fast enough then you would use LSR tires front and rear??

BHarmon

Unless your car is front-wheel drive the rears do more than just carry the weight down the salt,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 06:18:39 PM »
As Dyno stated, what kind of a car and how much it weighs means a lot.  A typical sedan in race trim will run aproximately 3500 to 4500 lbs.  You DO NOT want to go sidways with a car weighing two tons on two ply tires.  What is your investment worth to you?  What about the drivers safety.  Land Speed Racing is a safe venue...if you use your head.  Safety gear (of which I include tires) is the most important thing you will spend your money on.  Don't F..k around, buy the best to start with.  It makes no sense to buy a SFI  5 or 10 firesuit if you think you might eventually need a 20, and likewise, why not buy the best (hence safest) tires from the get go?  I ran the 2 ply tires on my 4300 lb. car with no problem, but that was because of my own ignorance and the fact that I never spun. That brings up another point.  No car should be run on the salt without a panhard bar rear suspension.  NO chassis manufacturer recomends running a diagonal link on ANY SURFACE other than a drag strip.  Heim joints are not made to withstand side stresses such as placed on them by a spin.  Building a safe race car does not mean simply bolting on "race car parts".  Research what you are using and what it was manufactured to do. Bob 
Bob Drury

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 12:59:08 PM »
All so true! We learned this the hard way.
Sincerly,
Lucky and still learning.
As Dyno stated, what kind of a car and how much it weighs means a lot.  A typical sedan in race trim will run aproximately 3500 to 4500 lbs.  You DO NOT want to go sidways with a car weighing two tons on two ply tires.  What is your investment worth to you?  What about the drivers safety.  Land Speed Racing is a safe venue...if you use your head.  Safety gear (of which I include tires) is the most important thing you will spend your money on.  Don't F..k around, buy the best to start with.  It makes no sense to buy a SFI  5 or 10 firesuit if you think you might eventually need a 20, and likewise, why not buy the best (hence safest) tires from the get go?  I ran the 2 ply tires on my 4300 lb. car with no problem, but that was because of my own ignorance and the fact that I never spun. That brings up another point.  No car should be run on the salt without a panhard bar rear suspension.  NO chassis manufacturer recomends running a diagonal link on ANY SURFACE other than a drag strip.  Heim joints are not made to withstand side stresses such as placed on them by a spin.  Building a safe race car does not mean simply bolting on "race car parts".  Research what you are using and what it was manufactured to do. Bob 
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 06:49:37 AM »
This forum is invaluable because it brings people of countless backgrounds together---a lot of times when one has problems---it may be the inocent question that trips someones recall---OH 25 years ago we had or one of my buddies had "thisorthat and this was done to correct the problem---we ALL are reinventing the wheel or exploring new territoris with our cars, at least from time to time as we put more power and or speed in our cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  with new cars and low time experience--one tends to have more "adventure" :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 10:37:39 AM »
Just an FYI about Goodyear tires.  Here's what the construction looks like on a brand new one.  Okay not totally new... it had about 4.78 miles on it when it got cut in half (the round way) by an overly enthusiastic (i.e., too close) body part. 

I cut it in half the cross way to see what goes on inside.

Now you can too.

Merry Christmas all.  May your Speedweeks be white.

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)