Author Topic: gas or fool  (Read 15696 times)

Offline willieworld

gas or fool
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:06:15 PM »
i have read the new gas rules and have a question --what the hell does it mean-- can i bring my own gas to bonneville--and what is it going to mean at el mirage --now i bring my own gas to el mirage its 100 oct. unleaded from my neighborhood 76 station --can i now blend in other things besides gas not that i want to because i also run the fuel class -- thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: gas or fool
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 08:17:01 PM »
Willie
Bonneville is a "vendor approved" race your gas will only qualify in the fuel class...as for elmo, you can run your 76 pump but be prepared for some scrutiny and possible disallow...I set a record in June with pump gas and it failed the meter....to much alki in it...when I told them it was pump from a shell gas station Russ looked it up in his little book of checked gas (yes I believe this SCTA volunteer went to all the local gas stations and bought samples and tested them all cuz he had a list as big as a book) keep in mind that all pump stations change there fuels as the wind blows...also your tune up can vary greatly on pump crap....do yourself a favor and don’t cheep out on fuel….. race gas is usually a stable formula and the only thing stable in pump is the water in it...
Kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »
Well I hope they didn't disqualify you from competition for 5 years.....  :-o
Will they check gas before the races at EM Kent?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 09:15:35 PM »
Willie
Bonneville is a "vendor approved" race your gas will only qualify in the fuel class...as for elmo, you can run your 76 pump but be prepared for some scrutiny and possible disallow...I set a record in June with pump gas and it failed the meter....to much alki in it...when I told them it was pump from a shell gas station Russ looked it up in his little book of checked gas (yes I believe this SCTA volunteer went to all the local gas stations and bought samples and tested them all cuz he had a list as big as a book) keep in mind that all pump stations change there fuels as the wind blows...also your tune up can vary greatly on pump crap....do yourself a favor and don’t cheep out on fuel….. race gas is usually a stable formula and the only thing stable in pump is the water in it...
Kent

I'm fairly certain that if the gas comes by pipeline, the only thing the purchaser is assured of is the octane, not the actual manufacturer of the gas. So in theory you could show up at one event and be ok, and show up at the next and get a surprise.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Offline promachine

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 10:33:22 PM »
Another thing is , don`t mix your race gas, Say like ya got sum 110 sunoco and some 112 VP, if ya mix em you will be a fueler. The specific gravity freaks out when ya mix two diferent types of race gas!
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »
this part is real simple--when i go to el mirage i take my own gas when i go through tech i have it tested havnt had a problem yet--when i went to bonneville i bought event gas i thought it was mula --when i went to the erc website today the chart there said that the 110 was purple and the mula is not--at bonneville i got a leak in my gas tank and the salt on the front of my engine was purple that wasnt mula --they pumped it they sealed it if it wasnt for the leak i would never have known -- o well  willie buchta

have you guys read the new rule postings
kent if you want i will bring you some 76 in may
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:27:25 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 08:25:25 AM »
As the rule states;

"Event gasoline" is vendor provided, usually at salt meets only. There are no guarantees that there will not be other "event gasoline" meets. Better to write the rule now than at the event.

El Mirage is ususally bring your own and have it tested at impound or prior to running. If you fail prior to running what is your fall back? Are you bringing more than one gasoline?

DW

Offline willieworld

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
dan  the first time i went to el mirage i had the gas tested when i went through tech --i have done so each time since even when i run in the fuel class and havent had a problem --the gas has always tested the same--i always buy it at the same 76 station from the pump --its 100 octane unleaded --i always run unleaded as i run a 02 sensor for my AFR guage  and leaded gas kills it      thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
Bonneville is event gas. Don't bother bringing your own.

Sockjohn, you can't guarantee the same gas from the same vendor at two different locations. Different days at the same station will vary. Winter gas is different than summer gas. This has been tested and verified.

El Mirage isn't event gas. The gas should be tested in tech inspection so you don't waste run time and parts only to be turned down at post race. Kent, the gas that failed last year will not only pass next year, but won't be competitive. The rules say 10% methanol, but I'm going to guess you can run more.

I think to be competitive you will need your own DC meter so that you can tune your fuel.

In case that confuses you, the old DC maximum limit of 2.3 limited you to gas with a tinge of something else if you wanted to crank it up a little. Some of the  race gas passed, some didn't.

With a DC of 15 next year, virtually all race gas will pass, and if it isn't oxygenated you won't be competitive. Forget gas only. Adding Methanol with the oxygen it carries will add a bunch of horsepower. How will you know what is competitive? Here is a list compiled a while ago by Precision Fuel Testing Systems. They sell fuel testing equipment.
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~hideseng/dc_list.htm

The higher the DC, the higher the oxygen (or other compound) content, the faster it goes.

Racers have taken weather stations for a long time to be able to tune the gas to meet the available air that changes with heat, humidity and elevation. Taking a DC meter to tune your fuel mix to the maximum power available is just the latest twist.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »
A couple more questions on the new fuel specs. First, the 10% methanol, is that by volume or weight. Secondly, what are acceptable ranges for specifis gravity?  :-D

I'm waiting on parts for the new motor so, obviously I have nothing better to do then pick this rule apart... :roll:

Larry
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »
Is it 10% by volume or weight? It doesn't say, so I would pick the one that gets me the most bang! Sometimes they should have someone proofread the rules.

The term "specific gravity" has been in the rule book for a long time. It is meaningless with the new rules.

Every liquid has a specific gravity. Water is 1.00, methanol is 0.79, nitromethane 1.13. Drag racers blend methanol and nitromethane and use the specific gravity to check the ratio. Specific gravity is also temperature dependent. Gasoline is somewhere around 0.74, but that depends on the blend.

So even if you know the specific gravity of all of these liquids, it won't help. When it was gas only, adding nitromethane would make the specific gravity skyrocket. Methanol would raise the specific gravity also, but since the DC has changed and methanol is legal, "Gas" class has become fuel class.

I hope several of you are going to volunteer to help tech inspection, it's going to be very busy.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
And propylene oxide in an amount sufficient to stay under the 15, correct?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 09:22:39 PM »
thats a pretty nice list Dean....by the looks of it MULA would be legal.!....so i guess we dont have a problem anymore...
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 10:49:49 PM »
I've only understood about 1/10th of what has been said on this post (barely passed Chemistry), but reading between the lines I see no reason for the change in the wording on what is/was considered gas and the new DC limit and that now 10% methanol is just fine.  I thought this was suppose to be a "gas class" not a class with a bunch of secret blends that will pass inspection.  Looks to me that the ones that might succeed in the future might be the ones that did a lot better than I did in Chemistry and besides wrenches in their tool boxes they will have some pretty sophisticated gas/fuel testing/mixing equipment.  Do we really want to go down this road??

Of course we could eliminate about 1/2 the records in the record book set on gas.  In the future you would just run blown or un-blown and anything you want in the tank  :cry:.

Confused in Blanding,

Sum
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 10:54:44 PM by Sumner »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 11:25:27 PM »
im with you sumner  i cant even spell kemestree   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta