Author Topic: Dec 7, 1941  (Read 3361 times)

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
Dec 7, 1941
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
Thanks to all you past & present Veterans that answered the call and keep "Ole Glory" flyin' down at the courthouse and over our LSR venues. And Welcome Home all Vietnam Vets! You WWII Vets will never be forgotten. Please think of those Service men & women far from home this Holiday Season.
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Dec 7, 1941
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:30:24 PM »
Today has special meaning to me as my dads best friend was on the Arizona when it was hit. My dad and his friend were seperated by the war, dad went to Londondary Northeren Ireland and Dan his friend to the Arizona at Pearl Harbor.. Today at our local convention center is the Viet Nam traveling wall. We saw the one in DC a few years ago. The traveling wall gives others a chance to see it as well. It was raining pretty hard today while I was there and I had to think about those listed how much bad weather they went through for us. A little rain did not take away this moment for me. All were special people and God Speed to all of them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 10:58:51 PM »
     Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the weather Glen.  I have been to more than one ceremonial gathering when the weather hasn't been the greatest and remarks made as to that fact.  My first thoughts and replys have always been "the brothers and sisters didn't get to choose the weather for when the time came to give their all, small sacrifice for us to show up to honor them".

Was moored within sight of the Arizona memorial for a brief time in '67 and spent more than one reflective moment gazing in that direction.  One of the biggest regrets in my life has been not making the time to go over and set foot on it when I had the chance.

Ed

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »
As someone who was after Korea and before 'Nam  and therefore lucky,I've gotta honor a lot of names from WW II till now that NEVER got on the records lists at El Mirage, Bonneville  etc.- cause they NEVER CAME BACK to set them!

Many of those made our pastime today possible.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 11:49:58 PM »
For 15 years the license plate on my car was DEC7TH.

I attended the 65th Memorial service at Pearl Harbor. It was decided at that time
that no more special ceremonys would be held because of the declining numbers
of survivors.

It was a tribute that I will never forget just as I will never forget that Sunday
morning when the car radio announced the attack. It made a profounded
impression on me and to this day I have never forgotten it.

ALL HAIL THOSE WHO SACRAFICED THEIR LIVES THAT DAY AND THEIR
COMPANIONS THAT SURVIVED TO DEFEND US.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »

Offline wolbrink471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:13:27 AM »
Freud

At the risk of prying......what are the details/circumstances when you heard the radio announcement?

I believe these 'touches' with the past deserve telling!

Thanks

Mark

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:21:23 AM by wolbrink471 »
more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike at...... www.wolbrinkrace.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 03:41:50 PM »
Panic, the date we honor is Aug 9, 1945, the date the last nuclear bomb was dropped in anger.... by the lesser known airplane...
it is totally restored in the Air Force Museum, not in a million parts buried in controversy at the Smithsonian....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:07:55 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 05:31:22 PM »
Thanks.

Of course, we still speak English, and vote, today because we were able to convince most of the world that it was only the most recent - but not the last.
The controversy to me is "if we had been able to do that on December 8th, 1941, how many lives would have been saved?"
When someone tries to kill me, his opinion as to the manner in which I behave is forfeit.