Author Topic: Art Arfons  (Read 6675 times)

Robin UK

Art Arfons
« on: December 04, 2007, 03:56:16 AM »
Just had a mail to say that Art Arfons died 4:00AM CST Monday morning. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times, the first in the UK when we showed him the chassis of SSC under construction. Later we took him to meet John Cobb's widow since like many others, Cobb was one of Art's inspirations. Watching him take a flight in a microlight at Black Rock in 97 was a real pleasure. One of the true greats without a doubt.

Robin

Offline Lynchy

Re: Art Arfons
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 08:06:58 AM »
Puts the news of Evel Knievel into the background. That's for sure! Art Arfons - Now there was a hero!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 11:41:07 AM »
Those of us who knew him and in some cases worked with him know what a great and dedicated person he was. A hero of mine for sure. Met him at Lions drag strip when he brought the 1st car out, the bolony slicer as it had a big prop and later the 1st green monster jet. Helped him and Jim Deist out at Bonneville on e year with the ant eater streamliner. A true racer, a sportsman and a friend. I will miss him a lot.
God Speed Art Arfons. :cry:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:29:40 PM »
A wonderful great friend passed away - Art was one of a kind and a real racer - Art, thanks for the time you share with me, I will miss you.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 02:10:21 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline aircap

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 01:57:38 PM »
Damn! He and Breedlove were the reasons I first found Bonneville fascinating.
He was a down to earth hero, and I'm sad to think I never met him.

"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 03:26:48 PM »
http://www.ohio.com/news/12108031.html

This fellow Buckeye is grievin' a bit today. Well we still got George Montgomery for awhile I pray. God Speed Art............... :oops:
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Tom Shannon

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 06:24:05 PM »
Don't forget to read the comments on page 2, left by his Akron friends & family. Leave a comment of your own. Drove with my city bus headlights on today. :cry:
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline crusher

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 09:08:49 PM »
  evel  was cool . ART WAS COOLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 11:51:08 PM »
 :cry: It is a sad day indeed. A lot of young people back in the '60s dreamed of setting records on the salt flats thanks to Art Arfons and the Green Monster. I remember seeing the Green Monster when it showed up at our local car dealership. What an inspiration! Art was an outstanding designer and fabricator and will certainly be missed...God Speed, Art.  :cry:

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline Tom Shannon

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 12:14:25 AM »
Send the Arfons family your online condolences:
If link  doesn't  work:go http://www.kakfh.com and search for Art Arfons
http://www.kakfh.com/obituary.aspx?MemberId=34758&MName=Arthur%20%Eugene%20Arfons
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline w3stie

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 06:17:17 AM »
I was a ten year old kid in 1966 and a recent emmigrant from England to the strange hot land of Australia. My heroes were Donald Campbell with his Bluebird, and those wonderful Americans with the Gemini and Apollo astronauts, Craig Breedlove and Art Arfons with the Green Monster. Around that time, the Green Monster was clocking speeds in excess of 600 mph. They were larger than life characters doing heroic things in a mythical land far away. Wide-eyed wonder was still alive then and I mourn his passing and the knowledge that I will probably never again know such giants in life.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 06:26:25 AM by w3stie »

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »
I went to Dallas in 1971 to be a passenger in the Green Monster when Art was making exhibition runs at drag strips. On the way to the track my taxi had a flat tire and I was delayed so Eugene Thomas Allred a local TV commentator took the first ride. Art's jet lost the left front tire at 281 mph and rolled hitting the guard rail. Mr Allred and a track worker lost their lives. I am still going to Bonneville Mr. Arfons. Start working on that J79, you have a long smooth course on high.  R.I.P.

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »
The man and his machine.   

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 12:28:09 PM »
I was a kid in the 50's and recall reading about Art out on the salt competing with Breedlove. Both are hero's of speed with this old guy and have been for many years. It was the Summers Brothers, Art and Craig who lit the candle that I have been afflicted with most of my life, that old need for speed. God Speed Art, rest in perfect peace.

Offline power58

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 01:03:19 PM »
He was so important to all types of racing and helped so many people in racing. It was great when he would test a J79 by tying it to two trees and lighting it off. When reporters would ask what calculations he used for the car he would say he just used parts he had laying around.  Very practical, very intelligent engineer. I only wish I could have met him on the salt. 
My inner child pretty much runs the place