Author Topic: Easyrider Streamliner`s Horsepower?  (Read 34960 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Re: Easyrider Streamliner`s Horsepower?
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »
GEEEZE
That was a lotta years ago old man !
The SU had a hose run to the carb body where the jet would normally go and it worked like a Posa-Fuel.
That Dually  behind Sonny at EM was mine.
That is what makes him look better in the picture.

Old Man.  Now you've done it, Jack.  You've blown my cover.  What do I mean by that?  Ask a sailor.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
How much hp does it take to go 400 mph?  It depends on two factors.  Aerodynamics, or drag, and traction.  If you look at my streamliner #5 on the vincentstreamliner.com, that body configuration was put in a wind tunnel in Vancouver, Canada by my friend, Dan Smith.  Two college students conducted a two week test as a project.  They were studying to be aeronautical engineers, and used the liner as a test project for aerodynamics.  I received the term project papers, and the conclusion was that that shape would take 385 hp to 425 hp to go 400 mph.  The only factor that was guess work was the loss of horsepower in the gear train from the engine crankshaft to the rear wheel.  This year was the first year that I put the Vincent streamliner on the dyno with the big engines and the 1.60 overdrive on the blower.  The engines made 573 hp, and 385 ft. lbs. of torque. 

Oh yeah.  Someday she's gonna go fast. 

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2007, 11:04:17 AM »
Here is a totally unconfirmed SWAG on horsepower vs speed.  "In 1962 the Joe Dudek streamliner with a 670cc T120 engine tuned by Johnson motors set an FIM approved world speed record of 224.57 mph".  I heard that they had 65 horsepower.  Or maybe I got it confused with the Johnny Allen Triumph-powered liner (214mph).  Or maybe nobody.  Any one have more (accurate) info?
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »

The record I would be quite impressed with would be the speed per cc.
It wouldn't matter to me if the operator sat on it. in it , or around it, and suck, blow, gas, nitro , or shoe polish.

'Their is considerable satisfaction in going faster than anybody, but going better is best." (me):-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline willieworld

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
you mean like 200mph with 1000 cc =.2 mph per cc
                    125mph with  50cc =2.5 mph per cc         the lower speeds would always win  aerodynamics  but it would be intresting and a great challenge of which i am always intrested --i wonder who has the best mph per cc and has a land speed record  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2007, 07:33:30 PM »
you mean like 200mph with 1000 cc =.2 mph per cc
                    125mph with  50cc =2.5 mph per cc         the lower speeds would always win  aerodynamics  but it would be intresting and a great challenge of which i am always intrested --i wonder who has the best mph per cc and has a land speed record  willie buchta

Kathy.. :-D

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
Went back to my Kreidler notes:

Fastest ONE WAY run was 228 KPH -abt 142 MPH- that was in '77 with a 21 HP machine, still 50cc or 3 c.i.

Budfab guys are gettin' close!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2007, 09:36:12 PM »
I would build the project around a really small person.
Even most horse jockys are too thick. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »
Good information, I only considered open bikes..yes Eric and John are running great with the little liner of theirs.

John

Offline tortoise

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2007, 01:55:15 PM »
The record I would be quite impressed with would be the speed per cc.
Due to the inherent physics of speed and power, the advantage in such a competition is to the lowest displacement engine. Put a good 10 cc motor in The Buddfab 'liner and 27 mph shouldn't be too hard.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2007, 02:39:01 PM »
"with a record" the best i can find is 131.546 mph 50 cc =2.630 mph per cc
                                            # 2  121.700 mph 50 cc =2.420 mph per cc
         that would be like my 1000 cc going 2420 mph --something to think about
                                               willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2007, 02:44:43 PM »
now who was the guy that said you couldnt go 200 mph with 40 hp take one step forward
       willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
There's a "class" for this sort of foolishness at Bub's.  I remember the first Bub event, when Rick Yacoucci rode a pocket-rocket bike powered by a 2cc (or something) model airplane motor.  I think he zoomed through the traps at 20 mph, or maybe it was slower.

Then there was the next time I paid attention, when Derek McLeish rode his 'liner (or was it the sidecar bike?) powered by a similarly tiny motor -- and "won" the prize by virtue of having been towed/poushed up to 100 mph or so by the push truck.  But the little motor was running and contributing to forward movement as the bike went through the traps.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2007, 03:58:01 PM »
now who was the guy that said you couldnt go 200 mph with 40 hp take one step forward
       willie buchta

It wasn't me, but I'll take the step willie.  I know about how much HP the Bubfab has now to run in the 130's and 40 would not push them to 200.  Now if we designed a small liner for Kent's squirrel to pilot and put a turbo model airplane engine in it there might be a chance

c ya and you had better get back to work.  I think Sheri is going to be checking up on you any minute now,

Sum     

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2007, 04:26:16 PM »
Some small size streamlined MC data from the 60's.

50cc Kreidler (THREE cubic inches).  Single cylinder, supercharged by a Wankel-like blower. 137 mph two way average. 15 claimed horsepower. Frontal dimensions published 20" by 29".

If those numbers are accurate, it would need 47hp to go 200

Went back to my Kreidler notes:

Fastest ONE WAY run was 228 KPH -abt 142 MPH- that was in '77 with a 21 HP machine, still 50cc or 3 c.i.

Budfab guys are gettin' close!

and this one is 58 theoretical HP for 200

willie buchta

Willie, now it is your turn... who is the guy that said you could, so far I haven't seen anyone say or show it is possible, haven't heard from the 7070 guys yet, but I'll guess they are easily above 40 HP
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O