Author Topic: Easyrider Streamliner`s Horsepower?  (Read 34958 times)

stayt`ie

Easyrider Streamliner`s Horsepower?
« on: November 23, 2007, 07:05:00 AM »
i was having a conversation with a couple off my harley davidson friends, thay were bemoaning the fact that a harley motored machine didnt hold the outright world record anymore.... the question was asked "what was the horsepower rating off the easyriders streamliner, when it set the record at 322mph ???

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Easyrider Streamliner`s Horsepower?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 10:38:20 AM »
i was having a conversation with a couple off my harley davidson friends, thay were bemoaning the fact that a harley motored machine didn't hold the outright world record anymore.... the question was asked "what was the horsepower rating off the easyriders streamliner, when it set the record at 322mph ???

I've heard completly unsubstantiated rumors that it might make a run at the record again.  My money though is on Mike and Ack Attack to put it up there were it will stay for more than a year or so.

c ya,

Sum

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 12:12:52 PM »
"horsepower rating"?

Sorry, don't understand the question.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
For a machine of that type, the best guess would be to compute the amount of fuel used per second like the estimates for a TF car are done.
That would only based on projections.
Even computers only play back what they heard, and don't tell the whole story.
 The reality of the % of available power delivered that you might be able to figure from the aerodynamics, distance traveled , under what conditions , and weight, won't get you any closer.
I saw it run more than anyone and my best answer is " IT HAD ENOUGH".
As for the future, nothing stirs the fire under the real competition more than getting beat.
When you consider how fast the cars are going (450+), and how many years and projects it took for the bikes to go 350, you start to feel like the bike liner hasn't been perfected yet.
We shall see. :wink:

"Theoretical estimates produce theoretical results."

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 01:13:53 PM »
Keith Ruxton would be able to tell ya... My guess givin the speed, sq foot, the aprox cd, vehicle weight, and known hp of a nitro shovel head. I would put her at 400hp..they probably wouldnt have told Jack since he was there doing the FIM verification... Rumer has it Jack made them wade through lots of turds as they were trying to break a record he helped to establish (team Vesco 318). The single harley motor Leo Hess had in his liner at the world finals should should be able to get the job done... by the way does anyone have leo's phone#.... He wanted me to make him new bodywork and i told him i could get to it in Jan....
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 01:25:18 PM »
You forgot to mention the black tire mark that was left in it's wake, and also Higbee and I are the only people to hear it at full song from both sides, and Keith never did.
Close Kent, but no cigar. :-D

OBTW: You can reach Leo through 800-338-1747
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 01:39:51 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 02:34:02 PM »
im going to start a mess here but   acording to the stars about 180 hp --that is the easy part though --my little 984 cc harley motor (thats 60 cu in ) makes 112 hp  two of those =224 hp more than enough hp                              willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
No cigar for Willie either. :wink:

bak189

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
Sorry, Willle..............your way off on our HP of the Easyrider Liner.....................................................

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »
nope willie... were talkin big, big shouvel heads on a big load of nitro... i would say 2 to 225 each
kent

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 06:55:44 PM »
First, the Easy Rider was never dynoed, so any hp numbers would just be a guess.  Next, Keith Thruxton was indeed the tuner, and he estimated the motors put out around 200 hp each on a big load of nitro, around 80% I believe.  Dave Campos, a few years ago was here at the house for a cockpit fitting, and we talked about the Easy Rider liner at length.  hp came up in the conversation and Dave had this to say.  The rear engine on every run was doing most of the work.  The front engine, which had a 5 degree lead, to keep the HYVO from going south, never made the hp the rear engine made.  It just didn't make the heat as the rear engine did.  At one time they even contemplated disconnecting the water cooled jackets on the cylinders to get some heat in the motor.  Anyway, from the horses mouth, the two engines never made over 350 hp.  That was enough to go the 322+ mph.  The liner was pretty aerodynamic, and the big bang on nitro provided the torque to get the job done. 

It doesn't take a lot of hp to go fast if you have the aerodynamics and traction.  Don Vesco went over 300 mph on two gas burning Yamaha motors, making 80 hp each, and he told me these were the only engines that he ever dynoed on any of his salt racing vehicles, both cars and motorcycles.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »
As far as the guy saying that the Easy Rider may be making a return to the salt, if they do it will have to be an entirely new bike, because the old one ain't comin' back.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 08:07:35 PM »
not very good aerodynamics as far as i can tell --my friend told me in a very low tone  it only takes 40 to go 200  hmmmmmmmmm guess he knows something  you guys dont 
     willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 08:34:11 PM »
kansas bad man===160 hp  300 mph now were talking aerodynamics     willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 08:48:24 PM »
not very good aerodynamics as far as i can tell --my friend told me in a very low tone  it only takes 40 to go 200  hmmmmmmmmm guess he knows something  you guys don't 
     willie  buchta

Hi Willie, if it took the Easy Rider 355 HP to go 322 it would go 200 on 85 HP..........

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

c ya,

Sum