Author Topic: Youth and LSR  (Read 10443 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Youth and LSR
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 07:59:13 PM »
When I went to El Mirage and Bonneville (both in 1953) we were all pretty young. Did we think we would still be doing it some 60 years later, I doubt it. Many youngsters have come and gone and a lot stayed on. Some are 3rd generation. I went drag racing in the 50s into the 70s as well as attending lakes and speedweek .. Uncle Sam slowed that down for a couple of years. It was hard to be a couple of states away and never hearing much news except in HRM.

The internet has become the best link to the LSR we have ever had. I never had any thoughts of being in the timing stand from 1983 to 1994 when Gary Cagle passed on and I was asked to take over the duties. I stayed as chief timer until 2004 when I moved to Utah. I am still very involved with the timing operation but mostly as a consultant. This pass year a few changes were made and I will be the meet and safety person and you will still hear my voice on the salt. Frank Scott is the new Chief timer for SCTA.

Our team is still very close in what we do and we also have a couple of young ladies recording in the timing trailer. The Rice's are the young guys and on top of the state of the art electronics and put in many hours.
So I was young when I started and at a young 72 still involved. I had to let go of some of the duties that goes along with the growth of the sport. The big thing is are all of the timing staff are very dedicated and will continue to be for a long time.

The youngsters are seeing what it takes and thank God they keep coming back each year and keep this wonderful sport alive. Never discourage them from getting into LSR the best family motor sport ever.

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah