Author Topic: How OLD can my tires be  (Read 9266 times)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
How OLD can my tires be
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:59:28 PM »
 :-D I am considering going ahead and purchasing my tires for my streamliner. I thought there was a time limit on tires but I can't seem to find it in the rulebook so I am wondering how long would they be good for before they would be too old to pass tech. The tires in question are Goodyear Land Speed tires. I am still in the early stages of fabrication and at the rate I'm going it might be ready to run in about 4 or 5 years. I don't want to use up the life of the tires just holding the frame off the ground.  :|

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline interested bystander

Re: How OLD can my tires be
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:54:16 PM »
REEEALL OLD.
 Check out the Firestone Monza tires that show up still- they raced at Monza in the 50s. (Last century)

Suggestion- get Goodyear's opinion and/or invest in roll-around tires till you KNOW you'r e ready to race.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:03:02 PM »
on the motorcycle side of things.... V,Z,ZR DOT tires have to be less than 10 years old... no age limit on "race" tires... on the car side of things....there aint no such thing as a old tire :-D
kent

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 10:49:19 PM »
I'd have to agree with Kent. He's old. hahaha I mean, I agree with what he said.

So Kent, I hope you had another number besides 142????   How's snitty. spelling?
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 11:49:07 PM »
Build a car.  No one cares how old your tires are.  Some race car tires have so many cracks its like looking at the back view of a nudist convention.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:36:59 PM »
Build a car.  No one cares how old your tires are.  Some race car tires have so many cracks its like looking at the back view of a nudist convention.

It might not feel like no one cares now . . . but once there is a serious accident or fatality that will all change.

Used to see lots of 'chute failures and it felt like "no one cared" but that has changed.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:55:02 PM »
You REALLY should change your tires when they look like this.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »
Hey! you want mustard , horseradish or gravy on that?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »
While there may or may not be any definitive rules regarding this issue, it occurs to me that tires are something you wouldn't want to cheap-out on.  For me, the question isn't "How old can my tires be?', but "Do I want to outlive my tires?"

But then, I'm not into rollcage testing.

On top of that, if you buy your racing tires now, who's to say that a rules change in the next 4 to 5 years won't make your tires illegal?  Then you might have paid for 4 expensive racing tires that are of no use to anybody.

I think Interested Bystander has the right approach.  With my SCCA and dirt track buddies, they get some old skins that are the same size as what they intend to race on in order to build their cars, and then get something new (or newer) when they're ready to race.  An old, cheap set might be the way to go for build-up, but do you really want to be the guy on YouTube who throws a shoe at speed? 

And at the risk of sounding selfish, I know I wouldn't want to be the guy patiently waiting behind you in 100+ degree temperatures while 4 to 5 years of your hard work and countless thousands of dollars were being painstakingly dragged off the lakebed because you got a good deal on tires in 2007.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 10:14:50 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:45:37 PM »

What happens if in four or five years, the tires you need, and built the car around, are not avalible?
I would buy them when they are avaliable.  My 2 cents.  Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:46:37 PM »
.......................because you got a good deal on tires in 2007.

I don't think it is a matter of a good deal, but can you get them when you need them.  I bought tires 2 maybe 3 years ago hoping I was going to need them before now, but mainly wanting to get them while I could.  Yes there has been tires available since, but not all the time and you never can count on them in the future for sure.  I'll invest in 2 more soon as it doesn't take much to ruin the ones you have accidentally on the course or off.

I do store them according to the Goodyear dealer's suggestions who I got them from and don't have them on the race car.  Since the car will soon be a roller I need to start looking for some tires to use on it while I work on it and move it around.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 10:50:57 PM »
    P.S.  I keep mine covered in heavy black garbage bags to protect them from UV rays and keep them in the shop ( mild temperatures)     Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 11:40:32 PM »
Another problem with building to a specific tire is that said tire may not be available in the future. Ask Sam Wheeler.

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:58 AM »
The main thing is protect the tires when not in use. Store them as noted, Have a set of roll around shop tires and and don't have the race tires mounted on the car during the trip to the race track. Lots of chafing etc.
I have seen wooden disks, alum disks etc. used to transport the cars. Many of the racers have some sort of towing rig to keep the tires off the ground after each run. Each inspection we see new methods of this and at the cost of tires it's important to protect them at all times.

I hope to take pictures of tow devices at speed week and the lakes next season and post them for everyone to see.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »
Availability - sad fact and good point.  Go to Sumner's link to GOODYEAR EAGLE LANDSPEED TIRES in his Lakester build up diary, click on it, and you get the following -

"We're Sorry - The page you requested may no longer exist on www.racegoodyear.com."

Ouch.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: