Author Topic: testing  (Read 30455 times)

Offline Old Gringo

• I only drive with the motor not running.
Re: testing
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2007, 02:04:21 PM »
It all depends who you talk to...........I live approx. 20
miles from El Mirage (up in the mountains) and use ElMo for test runs...............Unloaded the trailer a couple months back
and here comes the "green truck"   ....."what are you doing".........".taking some pictures of our racers".........".O.K., but remember there is a 55mph speed-limit on the lake"................PU left down the lake........I made my
"outlaw" run........................So who is right?????????

I am so BAD.........and will never do that again!!!!

Here is a page from the B L M site. Hope this helps.
   El Mirage Lakebed
The lakebed is a flat playa formed in an undrained basin. Silt and clay are deposited into this basin during periods of heavy rain. When the "lake" dries, a hard pan dry lakebed is left.

This hard, smooth surface is ideal for the unique activities conducted at El Mirage. These include ultra-light aircraft and gyrocopter flying, model rocketry, remote control airplane flying, landsailing and straight track racing. Many private pilots land on the lakebed to spend the day. The surface character has attracted the interest of many filming companies. Several major movies have scenes filmed here.

There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety, OHV rules and regulations, and knowing what is going on around them. The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas.

During permitted events, special speed limits and traffic restrictions are posted. Please watch for these events. To maintain a smooth surface, the lakebed is closed when wet or muddy. The California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, and BLM Rangers patrol the area to encourage safe use by visitors.

Camping is permitted on the lakebed, but no more than 100 feet from the edge. This keeps the smooth center section of the lakebed clear for night riders.

Ex Hound Dog Crew Chief. Retired Xeroid.

Offline promachine

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
Lots of people test at Elmo during the week. Been going on for years. Most
people know about this. I try to run about the crack of dawn, bring plenty
of freinds with radio`s, and set a cone out about half mile. Even at 6 am there
will be people out there so we drive around and tell them to keep their eyes
open. Tested Fri. morning once before a two day race but got done and had the
car back in the box before anybody showed up. I allways assumed this was ok to do. Willie`s buddy just did not pick the right time to shake it down, to many
people around. I allways thought testing before a race was a good idea.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

dwarner

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »
We stopped pre-event test runs when the lakebed became crowded. Didn't want to run the risk of hitting some one while running the race car.

DW

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »
A few times I showed up at the lakebed with one of my street bikes and took it for a ride and a day later they had some time trials (fancy that) so I entered and ended up with a Red brass tag with my name and speed..cute little thing I tell ya. :mrgreen:

J
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 03:36:56 PM by John@JE Pistons »

Super Kaz

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 12:14:26 AM »
A few times I showed up at the lakebed with one of my street bikes and took it for a ride and a day later they had some time trials (fancy that) so I entered and ended up with a Red brass tag with my name and speed..cute little thing I tell ya. :mrgreen:

J

Your Modesty Kills Worlds Fastest :evil:! How can I get me one of those Red BrassTags with my name and speed :??

racin jason

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 01:12:46 AM »

Your Modesty Kills Worlds Fastest :evil:! How can I get me one of those Red BrassTags with my name and speed :??
[/quote]

You have a better chance of a red tag if you get out and race Kaz!! :-D
Hitch hike, beg, borrow , steal, sell an organ just get out here Kaz. We miss you!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 01:31:13 AM »

You have a better chance of a red tag if you get out and race Kaz!! :-D
Hitch hike, beg, borrow , steal, sell an organ just get out here Kaz. We miss you!
[/quote]

Jason,

Better sell him one of yours to ride... :mrgreen:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:20 AM »
i think there was someone who totaled a busa last year doing some private testing... heard they broke some bones and spent a few days in the hospital....recently there was some drift cars doing there verson of testing out there..... some of you probably noticed the tore up areas... i was told by an old timer that the damage will take 5 years to repair.... its a general concenses that as the lakebead becomes more popular, and funding for BLM patrols dwindle, our days of use are numbered....
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2007, 08:43:43 AM »
TIME TO VOTE

Can we see a show of hands ? :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »
vote for what?  where ya been the last couple of days old man....
kent

Offline willieworld

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2007, 02:29:17 PM »
thanks old gringo looks like someone finally posted that knew the answer --i will continue to ride my bike at el mirage --i hope all that is past us --now about this dictator thing -i was voted into the gear grinders-we just voted for new officers  -i went to a rules committe meeting at el mirage where there was an open discussion and voting --anyone can submit a rule change form--  doesnt sound like a dictorship to me --yes there are some things i dont like and i will work to change this next year-- over all though i am very proud to belong to a great group of people i dont care what club you are in --i think we are all in the GO AS FAST AS YOU CAN CLUB   ----------  thanks everyone for a great first year  willie  buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2007, 03:45:15 PM »
Yuck.... Gear Grinders.... :-P

Kidding.... :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2007, 04:42:52 PM »
If you are suggesting the first person did not know the answer, I suggest you didn't want to hear it. :roll:

OBTW: I saw somebody with a BLACK timing tag once.
What are they for ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2007, 04:47:13 PM »
If you are suggesting the first person did not know the answer, I suggest you didn't want to hear it. :roll:

OBTW: I saw somebody with a BLACK timing tag once.
What are they for ? :wink:

Melting down for the scrap value I would assume... :-D

Offline willieworld

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2007, 06:08:14 PM »
im not suggesting anything
willie-dpombatmir-buchta