Author Topic: Where am I and how did I get in this handbasket?  (Read 12931 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Where am I and how did I get in this handbasket?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 07:54:02 PM »
Why not keep it a 500 and don't use a blower.  There are attainable records in the 500 PG classes.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »
frog  pick a class that will fit your budget--pick a class where you can move into other classes easy--dont let anyone scare you--and go have fun  --if you need help let me know  my wife will run a blast next year  willieworld@hotmail.com     willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 08:24:21 PM »
Why not keep it a 500 and don't use a blower.  There are attainable records in the 500 PG classes.

And somebody out there trying to attain it!  Cannot remember the guys name, but seemed close to the record.

On a Buell at that.

Super Kaz

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2007, 08:34:53 PM »
frog  pick a class that will fit your budget--pick a class where you can move into other classes easy--dont let anyone scare you--and go have fun  --if you need help let me know  my wife will run a blast next year  willieworld@hotmail.com     willie buchta
Kent scaring anyone? :?
Hogwash :roll:!
Good Luck and throw your budget out the window :oops:........
You have to allow for mistakes,
SKR

Offline panchop

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2007, 02:03:12 AM »
your budget seems tuff. i pretty much hand-built everything with ebay parts and raiding my friends garage for my 1000cc APS/BG. Blew thru 10K and kept going. YMMV

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2007, 10:27:23 AM »
your budget seems tuff. i pretty much hand-built everything with ebay parts and raiding my friends garage for my 1000cc APS/BG. Blew thru 10K and kept going. YMMV

10 k to race...all you rich guys..

Greg you are correct about YMMV.. :-D

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2007, 01:54:21 PM »
Blow through is best ,I used a Mikuni on my last Bonneville turbo Buell. With the low oil pressure of the HD/Buell motor you are going to need a ball bearing turbo vs a plain bearing. I can provide details on fuel pump,regulator,and carb set-up if you need it.

Jim - and any one else - I'd apreciate any advice.

This is all still "on-paper" but I am considering a seperate oil system for the turbo, with it's own tank, electric pump and cooler.

Did you put the whole Mikuni in a 'box' on your blow thru set up?

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline frogpirate

• Ken Morton Vancouver, WA, USA
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2007, 02:18:21 PM »
SKR

There is always a chance of someone else building to the same class with a much better bike and more experience. Like my old daddy use to always say, ya pays your money and takes your chances. Besides, it only counts if they can hold it together both ways. <insert smiley>

OK, the $10K is the portion of the sale of my Goldwing that is going to the project. I expect there will be some money that will leak from the monthly household budget to the race budget... However, I'm no stranger to tight budgets and I'm pretty good at stretching a buck. Used parts where they make sense, new where they make sense. Build what I can, talk my friends into building what I can't and only buy what none of us can build.

And as with all my ventures, my number one priority is to have fun. I may never get a record, may never be competitive, but as long as I'm having fun I'll be successfull.

Ken
"On the other hand, with a single thumper, run it till the valves float, then SHIFT." Dean Los Angles

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2007, 02:25:39 PM »
Having fun -- Ken, here's a suggestion about having fun:  Make an effort to remember your first run on the Salt.  Take a look around at the line of race vehicles behind you, pay attention to the starter that'll be giving you a few seconds of calm-down chat and maybe some advice, look down those two black lines that converge somewhere up ahead in the distance, see Floating Mountain way the heck down the track, and so on. 

I was lucky -- I can recall darn near every detail of my first run.  I still get chills when I think of it.  You may make scads of runs on the Salt in your career -- but the first one is absolutely the coolest thing ever.  And -- when the starter says "Okay, the course is yours!"  - then it's okay to have a tear in your eye.  It's the fulfillment of a life's dream.

Yeah, you'll have fun at this.  Welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
someone with a camera wont hurt eather--slim knows whats important--listen to people like him---my budget to build my bike and go to 2 races at bonneville and 6 at el mirage was 10,000 dollars i have 1 race at elmo left and so far am still on budget --so far this year i have spent 1800 in gas and 850 in entry fees i have 300 left the rest i spent on the bike --lots of used parts and i made everything myself--it can be done  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
frog;
  The seperate oil pump for the turbo works real well.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2007, 08:35:48 AM »
Ken, look slike you are getting lots of good advice here.  The only thing I can say is once you have made a plan, just stick with it.  Any changes can cost big bux.

On a side note, as a Frog pirate I'm sure you've noticed the correlation between the decrease in pirates and the increase in global warming.  Seek the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster for more pertinant info...
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2007, 01:25:53 PM »
a seperate oil tank and pump look like a good idea on paper till ya smoke the turbo twice and then find out you cant get a electric pump to make 60psi to keep the turbo happy......havent found a 12volt pump to do the job yet.... good luck...
kent

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »
When a friend a my high school reunion last month in Paso Robles asked about my the cost of my Bonnevile 200 mph Club blue dress shirt at a brunch; I told him it cost "all I had."  He said he would like one so I asked how much $$ he had. (Lawyer from Wash DC) Not being specific I told him he would need a little more....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Super Kaz

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »
SKR

There is always a chance of someone else building to the same class with a much better bike and more experience. Like my old daddy use to always say, ya pays your money and takes your chances. Besides, it only counts if they can hold it together both ways. <insert smiley>

OK, the $10K is the portion of the sale of my Goldwing that is going to the project. I expect there will be some money that will leak from the monthly household budget to the race budget... However, I'm no stranger to tight budgets and I'm pretty good at stretching a buck. Used parts where they make sense, new where they make sense. Build what I can, talk my friends into building what I can't and only buy what none of us can build.

And as with all my ventures, my number one priority is to have fun. I may never get a record, may never be competitive, but as long as I'm having fun I'll be successfull.

Ken

If having FUN is your main concern you should have no problem achieving that Goal :-D!It's that trying to go Faster then Everyone else on a HD that GOT ME :evil:!Like my mentor J/N aka World's Fastest say's'' You shold have bought a Busa" :oops:! Haven FUN is a Good Thing to have doing LSR as the PAY is kinda weak :wink:.