Author Topic: Traction Control and Weight  (Read 14056 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Traction Control and Weight
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 12:31:17 AM »
It is not nice to try an fool Mother Nature.
She always wins.  :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 01:41:15 AM »
Don't confuse wheelspin with horsepower. Build a car with solid suspension or put to heavy springs on a car with supension put 70 lbs. of air in the tires,set the 4link or latter bars so the instant center is in the wrong place and you can spin the tires to your hearts desire. 0f course you could add 4000 lbs. of lead.
Msd has an ignition that enables you to set how fast the engine accelerates. Mustang racers at the drags on 10.5 inch slicks have exceeded 200 mph with that system, but not before.
  Wheelspin definitely causes oversteer and possible spin, but lack of downforce at speeds over 160 mph is
another problem, spoilers,wings,& weight are required.
   To answer the post, probably?  We have run 288 mph with a 279 exit speed in our Camero, the car weighs 4680 lbs with 3000 lbs. on the rear tires & 10 inch spoiler. The car handles great at that speed with no wheel
spin after shifting out of low gear. It is possibly too glued in but no weight will be removed at this time. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SPIN THE TIRES, or get too light.

If the record was close and slower speed ?

jl222

« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 01:49:12 AM by jl222 »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »
   To answer the post, probably?  We have run 288 mph with a 279 exit speed in our Camero, the car weighs 4680 lbs with 3000 lbs. on the rear tires & 10 inch spoiler. The car handles great at that speed with no wheel
spin after shifting out of low gear. It is possibly too glued in but no weight will be removed at this time. I HAVE NO DESIRE TO SPIN THE TIRES, or get too light.

jl222

Good post, which Camaro are you running??

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 10:59:44 AM »
Sumner,

This one:

Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)

DW

Offline GH

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2007, 11:00:09 AM »
Sumner, I think jl222 is John Langlo and you know which camaro that is. Cya (I am not sure this is true, just my idea.)

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2007, 11:00:43 AM »
In drag racing people take power out and go faster all the time. If you have to much power for the track it make you spend to much time focusing on keeping the car straight. Of course that is drag racing on asphalt which is different. That is why I asked.

Offline GH

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
Dan, you beat me to it, but that confirms what I thought was true. Cya in impound, I said that last spring, but didn't deliver.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:20 AM »
Dan, you beat me to it, but that confirms what I thought was true. Cya in impound, I said that last spring, but didn't deliver.

Thanks guys, I guess I should of put my brain in gear and thought for a minute ,

Sum     

Offline GH

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2007, 11:46:55 AM »
You must be breathing too much of that Utah, high altitude air. Or else spending way too much time working on the lakester. Cya

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2007, 12:12:13 AM »
I think BSR has the MSD traction control ignition boxes on their site.
Basically,you program the maximum acceleration rate for the rpm in high gear.

Works fine on short tracks.

The acceleration rate at Bonneville would be pretty low in high gear.
Don't know if there is a minimum acceleration rate in the programing.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2007, 01:25:32 PM »

jl222

Good post, which Camaro are you running??

Sum

Summner????

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2007, 12:27:31 AM »
Don't confuse wheelspin with horsepower. Build a car with solid suspension or put to heavy springs on a car with supension put 70 lbs. of air in the tires,set the 4link or latter bars so the instant center is in the wrong place and you can spin the tires to your hearts desire. 0f course you could add 4000 lbs. of lead.
Msd has an ignition that enables you to set how fast the engine accelerates. Mustang racers at the drags on 10.5 inch slicks have exceeded 200 mph with that system, but not before.
  Wheelspin definitely causes oversteer and possible spin, but lack of downforce at speeds over 160 mph is
another problem, spoilers,wings,& weight are required.

jl222

Bviller, I am not a disbeliever, but are you sure about your weight bias.  If my abaccus hasn't failed me, you are running 65% on the rear wheels.  Now while that may be great for traction, I wonder what steers the car?  Hope you guys do well at El Mirage..........................

Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2007, 08:23:12 PM »
Hi Bob
          We weighed the car at a certified  trucking scale. I also bought one of those light weight ton & a half floor jacks,thinking it would lift the rear without water in the intercooler, or engine tanks, but it didnt even budge it. Got my money back.
   We have 20 degrees caster in the suspension and run the car with a slight rake. I also believe we get a lot of downforce from header exhaust.
    At 35-65% weight bias it does handle great and goes straight and no lightness after pulling both chutes by
 mistake once.
    65% has got to be less than Fred Dannefelzer's lakester, and he has a big wing on it. Hey Freddy i know you're reading this. well?
    I looked in my formula I book to verify that they ran 40-60% to 35-65% they had wings to and cornerd like hell.
     Thanks JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2007, 11:18:02 AM »
For easy weighing of vehicles, you might consider getting what we use around Star Industries for weighing bulky stuff:  A pallet jack (you know, the thing you use around the warehouse) with digital scale built in.  It's accurate to a half-pound (assuming you calibrate it with a known weight), and is rated to 5,000#.  The forks are spread just about right to fit front and back of a tire, then pump a few pumps to lift that tire and Viola, you're got an accurate weight reading for that corner of the vehicle.  This is how I know my pcikup weight as close as I do -- it's easy to weigh stuff.

The pallet jack with scale will set you back darn near a kilobuck -- but if you've got a need for a pallet jack anyway, it's a fine "option".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com