Author Topic: Traction Control and Weight  (Read 14055 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Traction Control and Weight
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 03:30:42 PM »
..................Sum, do you really want your ECU to compilate data to trim timing/fuel/boost/air fuel
rpm etc electronically and take out all the pride in mastering the right tune up
with manual controls...?....:):)

Joe :)

I guess I'm confused by what you are saying, but I'm running EFI so there will be a computer that will control the injectors and spark.  Will I be running any type of traction control??  No.

Heck I won't be making enough HP to spin the tires anyway, and if I do and it is a big problem I'll revisit this issue and I'll probably end up eating..............

Hey, that was the only good thing about winter in Wyoming.  I could spin the tires no matter how little HP I had and it was fun.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »
Our bikes have traction control -- manual traction control, that is.  Front and rear wheel speed sensors feed into the MoTeC (allowing for different wheel circumferences) and when the difference exceeds a certain preset percentage -- a dashboard light labelled "Warning" comes on.  The rider then can do whatever he wants to to do turn off that light.

Traction control takes power out, right?  Hey, to go faster I want to put power IN.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline tortoise

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
The rider then can do whatever he wants to to do turn off that light.

Traction control takes power out, right?  Hey, to go faster I want to put power IN.
Do you think your left wrist can put power back IN quicker and more accurately than a computer?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2007, 03:58:38 PM »

The higher you get in the horsepower curve the less likely you are to come close to doing that. Watch the Hooley videos and see how fast it gets up on the power curve.

Take weight out? That has nothing to do with traction control, but everything to do with traction. You put more weight in to get more traction. Traction control allows you to control the traction that you have available to you.

Do you need traction control? Are you spinning the tires on a regular basis? Duh!
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
LEFT wrist?  Unh, that part of me is just there to give someplace to the clip the lanyard/tether.  You meant RIGHT wrist, hey?

And I yield the point that I could have the computer do some or all of the figuring necessary to decide, and have it take out some timing or some fuel or some throttle.  There's plenty of power in the MoTeC to do all that stuff -- but back to Sumner's point -- where's the fun in that?  Maybe it'd save me a blistered tire -- maybe I'd hurt a motor.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline El Wayno

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2007, 04:24:11 PM »
Tortoise- I think you mean right wrist. Otherwise I need an extra throttle on the left. Maybe that is one of those old timer speed secrets.

Dwarner- How can putting in a maximum value limit your acceleration as long as that value is slightly greater than what the salt will allow? If available traction lets you accelerate at x meter/sec and you tell the computer to limit accel to 1.1x then you can still accelerate just as fast, you can even have wheel slip. It is just when your wheels really spin up the computer will bring it back in line. It doesn't even matter how much your wheels are slipping as long as it doesn't let the acceleration run wild.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 05:19:20 PM »
I am not saying take all the weight out.  Of course you need weight, but do you need to carry all the weight that you would of carried if you didn’t have traction control?  I think utilized efficiently with a proper engine management system it can be an asset.

Bad traction would come from too much horsepower and bad track.  You can’t control the track conditions but you can control how the horsepower is applied.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
This is going to be interesting....
Let me see...slow down to speed up....
Does anyone remember how bad the salt was in '99? I do, I've got in car video, we couldn't have gone any faster... but then again it's your time and money.
I'll let you guys work it out first.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 06:42:28 PM »

Do you think your left wrist can put power back IN quicker and more accurately than a computer?

Riding the bike backwards with your left hand on the noise control and a sharp eye on the back wheel is just another unexplored possibility that might be better than too much automation. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 08:16:42 PM »
Great idea, Jack- you probably know a bicycle guy set the European (Resident- I guess) record for speed a year or two ago in Nevada riding ON HIS BACK facing BACKWARDS at 79 mph- only two mph off the alltime record.

Sounds like something that should be explored.

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 08:24:30 PM »
Riding the bike backwards with your left hand on the noise control and a sharp eye on the back wheel is just another unexplored possibility that might be better than too much automation. :roll:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thanks, Jack; people mighta thought I'm an idiot if you hadn't explained it.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 08:30:57 PM »
Great idea, Jack- you probably know a bicycle guy set the European (Resident- I guess) record for speed a year or two ago in Nevada riding ON HIS BACK facing BACKWARDS at 79 mph- only two mph off the alltime record.

Sounds like something that should be explored.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 09:59:14 PM »
     I'm thinkin' Jack paid real close attention to Floyd Clymer back in the day..... 

Ed Purinton

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 10:06:05 PM »
Fallin' on the floor over RidgeRunner's last comment.

I didn't think there was anyone on EARTH left who remembers Floyd Clymer and his publications!

Jack's mentor finally divulged!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

dwarner

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
"Dwarner- How can putting in a maximum value limit your acceleration as long as that value is slightly greater than what the salt will allow?"

Ask the man who has taken horsepower out and gone faster. What is that Jack says about theoretical race cars setting theoretical records?

Put something on the race track,
DW