Author Topic: Help Me Jack!  (Read 5655 times)

Offline racergeo

Help Me Jack!
« on: October 18, 2007, 09:57:47 PM »
Does anyone know what class a 76 924 porsche whould fit in? Smallest back seat Ive ever seen. If it has a back seat is it a coupe, or does that 4 average size rule exclude it? Oh and Jack, why did they give the Dalai Lama the congressional medal of honor? Did money change hands? A post without involving Jack is wrong!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Help Me Jack!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »
The basis I used was the DOT rating for the various configuration that designated it as a 4 seater or a 2 seater.
I had the appropriate documents from the QEM and the Feds.
I had insurance ratings to also back that up if required but it was not .
There are a number of cars that follow that same criteria also.
But that part is up to you to make your case. :-D

OBTW: Mr. Lama had a letter of introduction from me that he handed over with a $20 inside, just like I told him.
The room for the night was gonna be extra so he chose to sleep on the lawn.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 10:54:50 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »
My 2 cents are that the car would be in GT or ModSports.
5.E.3=
"This catergory does not include cars with rear seats suitable for continued adult occupancy."

This means that it CAN have a back seat but not a seat really designed for people to actually ride in for much more than a trip to the store and back. I have seen the back of the 924's and I know I could not ride in the back seat much more than that.

BTW: a bigger pile of BS is Gore getting the Nobel....I have met Gore and can promise you from first hand knowledge that he is a HUGE D-Hole.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 11:12:45 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 11:21:06 PM »
Does anyone know what class a 76 924 porsche whould fit in? Smallest back seat Ive ever seen. If it has a back seat is it a coupe, or does that 4 average size rule exclude it? Oh and Jack, why did they give the Dalai Lama the congressional medal of honor? Did money change hands? A post without involving Jack is wrong!!!!!

Is this a hypothetical question or an existing record question?  (just curious)

One would think the rule would be less vague than it is, but I imagine 50th percentile dummies ain't cheap.  There are far less sport cars considered GT's that is for sure!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:38:37 AM »
Why don't you call the people in charge of the production or GT classes listed in the rule book. Jack has no say in the matter.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline racergeo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 01:00:54 AM »
I haven't researched the use of the car in existing classes so I don't even know If one holds a record. I have a chance to buy one cheap and it looks small and aero and I'd count it the thrill of a life time to go head to head in a duel to the death [ figurativily speaking ] with Johnny HN's. As an old drag racer I miss that head to head competition. I'd try and buy a Busa off  E bay, you know, like JHN's did.  I think we both thrive on competition, and it would be fun. Anybody have a clue what an existing one is classified  as?  I don't have time for Jacks method as it is going to be sold tomorrow! I suppose it doesnt matter which class, I'm just curious. By the way Jack, did I see you in a robe in an airport in  L.A. back in 68 collecting money? LOL

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 01:08:25 AM »
Why don't you call the people in charge of the production or GT classes listed in the rule book. Jack has no say in the matter.

The burden of proof is on the entrant as was demonstrated again last year when an EM record was disallowed after going through the method described with the people in charge.
Ask the guy from Utah that thought he did it per the SCTA guidelines.
When asked how I did it , I made reference to the many records I set at both EM and Bonneville.
Those procedures are as valid as ever and apply to everyone across the board.
That is what I was asked and what I answered. :roll:

QBTW: The guys at the airport only bought the franchise location from me and wore the authorized uniform.

SECRET FOR GEO.: The 1976 924 is listed as only being produced as a 2+2 Coupe.
With the stock 19-- cc motor it was rated at 138 mph and would be a G class.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 04:36:25 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »
GT or Mod Sports. Look for further clarification for allowable cars in 2008.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:34:04 AM »
If it has any type of back seat, don't waste your time or money unless you want to run in a class other than GT (PRO).  The continued adult occupancy rule has in the past been interpreted to be any padded area behind the front seat is suitable, even without a footwell.
If rule clarifications are coming as Dan suggests, I'd wait to see what they say.

Jack "That is what I was asked and what I answered." are you watching too many TV lawyer shows.....

What Fun....

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 09:57:32 AM »
Jack "That is what I was asked and what I answered." are you watching too many TV lawyer shows.....

What Fun....

Now you know who is writing the scripts for some of them ,

Sum 

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:38:00 AM »
Larry, the Karman Ghia guy that has run for years is gonna luv it maybe.
The 600 Honda guys just hope SCTA gets it right, and I have 3 Mazda (cheep car aero) RX7 cars that are going to be up and running in 2008 as school class projects.

FUN FUN FUN :wink:

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »
Larry, the Karman Ghia guy that has run for years is gonna luv it maybe.
The 600 Honda guys just hope SCTA gets it right, and I have 3 Mazda (cheep car aero) RX7 cars that are going to be up and running in 2008 as school class projects.

FUN FUN FUN :wink:

Seeing as my car was used as a commuter car for 4 construction workers before I got it . . . yeah, hope they get it right!
;-)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 05:58:41 PM »
I'd try and buy a Busa off  E bay, you know, like JHN's did.

Let me know when you are ready...I have a guy that deals in used (mostly busa some 750 and 1K's) and sells motors out of wrecked bikes he buys at insurance auctions.

He is 100% guaranteed to send you the motor. I ended up with two motors because a guy tried to stiff my on eBay and I ended up meeting and buying a motor from Dan. After telling him the story he was able to track down the guy that stiffed me and his friends and brother in N.C. (where the guy that stiffed is also from) were able to "motivate" him into sending the motor from his own bike.

I live in Portland Oregon and Dans shop is about 30 minutes away....may be to far for you to consider but just another option if you wanted to not deal with the risk of ebay. I have sense got other expensive stuff from ebay with good luck.....it just depends on the individual selling it.

I'd count it the thrill of a life time to go head to head in a duel to the death [ figurativily speaking ] with Johnny HN's.

I think that’s great, I welcome the competition…….but keep that engine bay big enough to do motor swaps to run other classes when you find I can be beaten!

JK……JH

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 06:13:39 PM »
I haven't researched the use of the car in existing classes so I don't even know If one holds a record. I have a chance to buy one cheap and it looks small and aero and I'd count it the thrill of a life time to go head to head in a duel to the death [ figurativily speaking ] with Johnny HN's. As an old drag racer I miss that head to head competition. I'd try and buy a Busa off  E bay, you know, like JHN's did.  I think we both thrive on competition, and it would be fun. Anybody have a clue what an existing one is classified  as?  I don't have time for Jacks method as it is going to be sold tomorrow! I suppose it doesnt matter which class, I'm just curious. By the way Jack, did I see you in a robe in an airport in  L.A. back in 68 collecting money? LOL

Toyota MR2 trumps just about everything in regards to aero and is without a doubt a GT(not all years are equal though).  Plentiful and cheap, I can't imagine a Porsche being cheaper. 

I would carefully measure the engine bay as it is a small car, depending on what engine(s) you ultimately want to run.

FWIW, a Honda CRX is a lower CdA, but not sure it meets the intent of the GT class, but possibly the letter of the rule.  I've personally seen B16 and B18 swaps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_drag_coefficients

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 06:41:51 PM »
The CRX has competed in the sports class before (not saying things dont change).

The later MR2s are good....the older boxish (very fiat x19ish) are still good but not as.

One thing to mention is that if you want to run in MS class you can do a bunch of stuff to improve the aero Cd. This means that if you want to run in a class like GT you need to be damn sure the car has a good body stock. Because you can modify the aeros of MS, IMO a more important factor to consider is frontal area.

The reason I chose the fiat x was because its frontal area is 16.66......this is 9" more narrow than the MR2 and 11" more narrow than the Ferro. It is true that the stock Cd is not as good as the Mr2 but those numbers have changed when the car was lowered chopped and nosed ect. and will significantly be different in 08.

*Andres Segovia