Author Topic: High speed tires  (Read 4244 times)

Blue

High speed tires
« on: October 17, 2007, 02:36:28 AM »
Heard recently that one of the tire companies was going to start making real-live, honest-to-god, new-design 500 mph tires for LSR cars.  Truth?  Rumor?

BTW, anyone connected with Goodyear ever know what happened to the Breedlove tire molds and processes of the 60's?  Would new ones be suitable for traction based racing?

IM<HO, the mechanics of carbon wound into the rubber matrix would solve most of the stress issues, the trick would be keeping the rubber thickness down to a minimum and then getting them re-surfaced after a few runs before the carbon hits the salt.

landracing

Re: High speed tires
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 09:15:22 AM »
Ummm, Mickey Thompson has already made the production run of high speed tires for 2007, that was on a order basis.. One production run only for 2007. Tires from 390+ mph to 590+ mph.

It is my understanding that they will take orders once a year and have a production run of tire for each season.

Jon

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:27:52 PM »
We just orderd some 18s, 590+tires from m/t tires for the new roadster . Tom was great to deal with nice guy. I sould see the tires next week.

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:47:19 PM »
I got mine about a month ago: expensive, but worth every penny!

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
Ordered mine the second time this year. First order faxed on 06/21, never got them. After several calls I contacted Tom and was advised the order must have been misplaced. Sent the second order in for two 18's Monday. Hope to get them soon, but no word yet from M/T if or when they were shipped.
Tom is a very pleasant guy to work with, don't know about the rest.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 04:46:13 PM »
Dave see if they pulled the money from your visa card yet, if so they sould be on there way. I know they  did on mine.

bugman5

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 07:51:29 PM »
Just a simple question? Did you order direct or from a dealer? Who did you talk to? Thanks..

Blue

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 08:34:27 PM »
Ummm, Mickey Thompson has already made the production run of high speed tires for 2007, that was on a order basis.. One production run only for 2007. Tires from 390+ mph to 590+ mph.
Jon
Is there a web site or does anyone have the HP/MPH/load curves for what they can take in which sizes?

landracing

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 08:55:46 PM »
It takes some searching but I do have the information on the website... There are two ways you could find the information on the website.

First you can goto the main page of the website and under the header there is a search box there, I put in Thompson tires, and number 16 article that came up in search from website is called  "MickeyThompson producing limited production of High Speed Tires"
Second on the main page of the website, on left pane scroll down and you can go thru the Website Article Archive sorted by month, that would take some time if you didn't already know it was there,  but it's under the month of March 2007.

And last here is the direct link to the article
http://www.landracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=53

That was the information they produced for us, more technical you probably have to call then.

Jon
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:59:42 PM by landracing »

bugman5

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 12:13:14 AM »
Thanks Jon, I really appreciate your help. Sometimes it's hard to sort through all the info and opinions to get to the sources.

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 05:18:52 PM »
Yahoooooo!!!!!!!! Got my M/T's today, 18". Tom came through like a champ. Now to get wheels to fit,
Dave Haller #93

Offline Brian Westerdahl

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 11:42:13 PM »
Unwrap them and put them in the living room for a while and just look at them.  It is kind of cool to see some brand new Bonneville tires.  Brian #7796

Offline mkilger

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 01:33:50 AM »
I got my 18in m/t tires today, that was easy I may get one more pair. Tom was great.