Author Topic: sidecar changes  (Read 34242 times)

bak189

Re: sidecar changes
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2007, 06:57:37 PM »
Willie..........it would be great for you to bring your sidecars to the BUB........the ballast is actual weight of 60kg (132lbs.)
The 500c.c. sidecar is open (you run a speed and it is a record no minimums)
The 1000c.c. pushrod is also a open record (again... you run a speed and it is a record, no minimums)
There are two sidecar records in the 1000c.c. class....one being a vintage record at 96mph the other a streamliner at 168mph.
These would be AMA National Records...................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2007, 07:30:41 PM »
looking for sponsers as we speak--if that happens and i can afford it i would love to   thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline kontinental

• New folks
    • Les triplettes de Bonneville
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Frank, I'm living in France.
I don't want to re-activate a topic just for the pleasure of... re-activating.
With 3 friends of mine, we are currently working on a 2008 entry,
and I've just discovered that some M/C and sidecar rules changes
are in the process of be discussed.
Since our entry 2008 is planned to be a 50cc SC/VG, I've seen different posts about :
- a minimum 70 mph speed that could newly be adopted.
- some "slowest classes" cancelations, considering that 50cc is not really what you could clasify in the fastest jobs,
- some ballast considerations that could appear in order to compensate the lack of passenger in comparision with FIM rules.
I've already sent a mail to Russ O'Daly, but he is probably too busy in this rules validation period.
So please, could a fellow racer or official tell me wether we have to stop right now,
or keep on working confidently ?
Thank you in advance for your answer(s).
Frank.
...ça va bien se passer... http://www.lestriplettesdebonneville.com

Offline willieworld

« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2007, 05:33:34 PM »
scta only requires enough ballest to make your sidecar stable--i run 24 lbs of ballest --my sidecar wheel weighs 62 lbs--there is a rule about unresrticted exit --if you have ristricted exit you must run in the streamline sidecar class--post a picture if you can-- dont worry about the speed limit --i think that is a long term goal -- good luck  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline kontinental

• New folks
    • Les triplettes de Bonneville
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2007, 05:53:31 PM »
Willie,
Thank you very much for answering. I've seen your numerous posts on those rules problems.
No sidecar pics to be shown at the moment.
We have studied the rules to determine which class was the best adapted for us.
We want to race a "could have been a period Motobecane sidecar".
We will build the chassis starting from a 1954 moped chassis, lenghtened and lowered.
We will be partially streamlined, but won't have restricted exit.
Regarding the engine could you please indicate me if we are allowed to use a 2-stroke expansion-chamber exhaust. In a first mail, Russ told me the intake air box and exhaust weren't considered as part of the chassis for vintage classification (like they are in bikes classes), but as part of the engine for sidecars. Does this mean that the exhaust has to be pré-1955 ?
And what about the slowest classes possible cancelations ?
Frank.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:55:46 PM by kontinental »
...ça va bien se passer... http://www.lestriplettesdebonneville.com

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2007, 06:50:58 PM »
I have been told that the class cancellations have died a natural death.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »
im with nortonist on that--i dont race in vintage so ill let someone that races in vintage answer that one  --we are all talking about scta(speed week and world finals) arnt we because bub (speed trials) has there own rules                           willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2007, 09:37:26 PM »
Lots of ideas on building a racing sidecar, makes the class interesting:wheel on a stick-weight-what to do? Here is a picture of what we consider a "real" sidecar, designed to carry a real passanger ( BUB event of course)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »
good to see someone will be challenging the guys who have the slowest speed record... not for their record, just for the slowest record
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2007, 11:20:35 PM »
Heres what the F.I.M. considered a "real" sidecar in 1954.  Bob Burns' Vincent "real" sidecar.

P.S.  Can someone explain why a sidecar is only "real" if it carries a passenger?  Coupes, sedans, and Roadsters were designed to carry more than one but I don't see anyone bitchin' about them not carrying passengers or the equivelant in ballast.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 11:32:17 PM by Nortonist 592 »

bak189

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2007, 12:25:34 AM »
Bob Burns "wheel on a stick" had ballast in the sidecar................so the AMA/FIM ballast and/or passenger rule is not so new............................
Hey, Stainless........."slowest"??????
How is 187+mph w/passenger.......(documented)
Hey, Nortonist........where is your sidecar??????
Hey, Willie ......your turn!!!!!

We consider a "real" racing sidecar should carry a passenger.........you all may not.......... and race a "wheel on a stick"  BUT we feel the sidecar racers should be given the option....passenger OR ballast..........Anything wrong with that????????

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2007, 12:38:40 AM »
It will be out in May.  God willin' and the clutter don't rise.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2007, 01:14:18 AM »
Nortonist, watch a sidecar race, roadracing, speedway, motocross, and I think you will undrestand why sidecar racers believe that it is a team sport.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2007, 01:35:37 AM »
Of course, Those forms of sidecar racing require a passenger.  I had a sidecar on the road for years.  It was everyday transport.  I didn't carry a passenger when I was going to work.  My wife was the usual passenger and that was mainly on the weekend.  We are going i a straight line and don't need a passenger.  And as I've said before we aren't running to F.I.M. rules or records so whats the point of carrying a passenger or ballast?  Its the SCTA's ball so we play by their rules.  I'm still waiting for the answer to my original question.  If a sedan can carry four people, why doesn't the SCTA require passengers or ballast?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2007, 09:16:13 AM »
2 bodies aboard a vehicle in LSR competition is not required to establish top speed.
The exposure of another person, would more than double the injury rate at the expense of the rest of the field and event.
Required ballast is not a part of any other class and is a joke if their are no scale procedures in place, therefore it has been considered optional.
If a promoter wishes to expand participation for a profit motive, they are more likely to prostitute themselves with all manor of extras like a "Dance Off".
The SCTA and the Salt surface are at the saturation point now and more stuff will just dilute the objective and reduce the lifespan of the event.
"Save the Salt" has a lot more real meaning than watching trainloads of it leaving town, and long lines for marginal conditions that get people and the sport hurt.   
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"