Author Topic: sidecar changes  (Read 34244 times)

bak189

Re: sidecar changes
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2007, 09:29:31 PM »
In 1979 Mike Parti and myself ran the first sidecars at Bonneville.....at that time they were the sidecars we used for roadracing.(now our outfits are special build for LSR) we ran with passsengers from 1979 to 1987...then SCTA in their wisdom said "no more passengers" I won't go into all that was involved in that ruling.........
so after that we raced our outfits with a complete passenger platform.....and at times with a dummy called Elmo (that's another story) complete with leathers and helmet.....until our team started racing with BUB.
Regarding the frt. forks..............., we have build streamliner sidecars using leading link forks....we have build rear engine sidecars using cut down tele-forks..presently we are using cut-down Rickman Moto-Cross forks....using a 30 degree rake...........64inch wheel base........32 inch
sidecar (center of rear tire to center of sidecar tire)  13 inch lead of the sidecar spindle over the rear axcle........this appears to be a happy medium
for us.....no secrets.  The forks you have on the scrap Buell can be used if shortened (you only need approx. 2 inch travel)  Oh, yes, we have used 10 " wheels...13'' 5'' (on the sidecar) we are now using 16" front...15" rear....5" in the chair
After SCTA "outlawed" passengers we ran 150lbs
ballast in the chair at Bonneville to handle the cross winds.....but todate SCTA has not required ballast.....however,Ifeel it would make for a safer sidecar if not using a passenger. ......................

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2007, 09:51:23 PM »
At the SCTA meeting in September some motorcycle proposals were brought up to be taken back to the clubs for discussion. Sounded like they want to eliminate/ modify some classes. So if you are interested in what is going on I suggest you attend your next club meeting to find out. It could get very interesting.

Tom G.

It sure would be nice to know about proposed rule changes (class eliminations) as they are proposed. I am starting a new build in the 650cc (Suzuli GSXR600) class and would sure like to know that class would still be there when I finish my build. Holding this stuff close to the vest until it becomes the rule doesn't seem right to us "unwashed" far away members. As Jack said, communication in this electronic era is not difficult.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2007, 10:10:05 PM »
You have an instant electronic PM waiting for you here. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »
Got it Jack, thanks
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline bones

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2007, 06:55:23 AM »
John, I'm interested,I didn't realise you raced a sidecar.Have you added a chair to the turbo busa? I have been roadracing sidecars for 20 years,with Evelyne as passenger for 8 years. I would love to do a serious sidecar for the salt. Why are people not talking about LCR type outfits with control arm suspension and thinner tyres than for roadracing. I haven't tralled through all the photos but most seem to be modified solos
      cheers     Bones

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2007, 02:33:14 AM »
At El Mirage today, Fritz Kott had the best example of what SCTA is looking for in a Sidecar.
It was a mix of something old, something new, something borrowed, and something brew.
The mix of Foreign and Domestic should satisfy every taste.
Does anybody have a picture to share with the World ? :-D
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2007, 02:35:08 AM »
At El Mirage today, Fritz Kott had the best example of what SCTA is looking for in a Sidecar.
It was a mix of something old, something new, something borrowed, and something brew.
The mix of Foreign and Domestic should satisfy every taste.
Does anybody have a picture to share with the World ? :-D

No picture here. however I did see it for my with my own eyes and it is a thing of beauty!

Scott

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2007, 11:17:39 AM »

Went by me on the return road -- I thought he was just moving to Phelan.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
When not used for racing, or taking people to church, it is the Phelan Shuttle Service that runs from Uptown to Downtown.
It ia also available for Chartered Tours of the Histerical Sites in the Community. :wink:

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2007, 09:13:57 PM »
With the various discussion regarding sidecar design I thought I would post a couple of pics of the latest machine from Bak189. We are now carring a passanger at the BUB meet. In days gone by this would have been an SCAG machine as it is purpose built. I like this designation better instead of lumping sidecars together, except for streamliners.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2007, 09:15:51 PM »
I missfired on two pictures, here is a frontal view

bak189

« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »
Thanks, Larry..............looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2007, 01:14:21 PM »
shouldnt that thing have a Kal Gard sticker on the side of her?
kent

bak189

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2007, 01:26:37 PM »
Kent.........for 2008.....maybe a Kal Gard paint job...
who knows.....................................................................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2007, 05:43:17 PM »
bak189 maybi i will come to bub in 08 -what is the 1000cc sidecar pushrod and the 500 cc sidecar pushrod records records there--i wouldnt want to risk a passenger but the option is to carry the ballest --is that actual weight or the weight of the sidecar wheel  thanks  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta