Author Topic: sidecar changes  (Read 34246 times)

bak189

Re: sidecar changes
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 12:02:51 AM »
Sorry, Willie if you have a handling problem
with 126lbs on the sidecar wheel.......you have a BAD problem.........a properly build outfit will lrun straight with a 170lbs passenger in the chair.
Also you noted that your outfit (very nice)
met all FIM regs. ......if you had a problem with 126lbs......what would it handle like with the
the FIM required 60kg......??????
Feel free to PM  me before you start the wife's new outfit......be glad to help.............Good luck....

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 01:47:08 AM »
John, the NAME is Bob Bakker............also I do not race them (sidecars) anymore, I just built them...
(at 71 years old, I leave the driving to the younger sidecar racers like driver Larry Coleman and passenger Warren Ryan)
Your 216mph with your "wheel on a stick" is certainly outstanding............but I don't think you can run those speeds with a passenger......you may not admitt it but you are "flying the chair wheel"...... with a passenger on the platform you would run a lower speed with the chair wheel on the ground.........in addition with a passenger your
bike would not steer properly as it is presently
set up and build.  I have been building and racing sidecars longer then you are old..........and I think by now I know of what I speak.
On talking to Kent,he indicated that at 155mph on his 750c.c. "wheel on a stick" sidecar the sidecar wheel was in the air most of the run......
 Kent, does not tell lies.  Could it be that is what the SCTA/BNI M/C rules committee is looking at with talk about "Ballist"??? 

Bob,

I am truly sorry about the name game, ( I do not know where I got "Mike" from)

If you think I am Flying the sidecar wheel you are either drinking heavily or certainly mistaken...with a square tire like I run (off of a Car) if I ran the weighted down sidecar while the third wheel was in the air I would have major handling issues.

If anyone that doubts if the third wheel is touching the ground at speed I will offer to take a day off work prior to a meet and strap a gps to their helmet and they can hang on and tell me if they feel that the wheel is "flying"..I placed 50 more pounds to the sidecar to make sure that it had enough weight to keep it on the ground as I did not want to have to deal with more issues than I would already have.

Bob, Fridays are good for me..and I am sure I have a spare helmet in your size or Larrys, or Warren..Bob you have expressed your displeasure in the the fact that I run my much faster bike without a passenger however I am certain I would run faster than your current top speed if Warren or Larry were to "hang" on my bike at either Elmo or Bonne.  We both have Turbo three wheelers and both are Busa engines right?

J

PS. Forgot to mention that we have set a few records El Mirage faster than any sidecar record anywhere in the world including the fastest Blown records at Bonneville.  As I mentioned to you before, I would like to have a big rig like yours however I choose to run the same rules as you do and I seem to run a bit faster than most..see you at Bonneville next year.

J

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 02:02:04 AM by John Noonan »

bak189

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 04:26:02 PM »
Dear John.......first you call me Mike..now you call me a drunk!!!!!!!! Oh well.......................................
Regarding taking a speed ride in your three wheeler........no way.........neither Larry, Warren or myself would ever consider riding with someone
who has no experience driving/riding a "sidecar."
(with a passenger it becomes a sidecar)
As far as "mine is faster than yours"........today
yes,............but there is always tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(example: Jason's $10.000 at this years BUB).........
John, you are still our hero...(somewhat)..............
John, have a good life.................................................

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2007, 07:38:37 PM »
Bob,

All is good...there will always be someone faster and I aggree with you on almost everything however making a blind statement that I am flying the sidecar wheel on my "wheel on a stick as you call it" at a speed greater than 215 mph seems ludicrus to me and for as much experiance as you have I do not see where you come up with your previous statement?

If you look back at the other sidecars running at either Elmo or Bonneville I would like to think ours is the closest to a passenger carrying rig out there and it has run at fast as 193.711 for a timed mile years ago at Bonneville.  Bob did a great job building the platform and it handles great and since it is smaller in size it is not as prone to being blown around when the sidewind comes in.

Never called you a drunkard however I did give you the opportunity to claim you made a mistake..I know I make enough of them that is for darn sure.

Regarding being on ones fan list, I would love to help you get that Red rig of your up to speed as I feel it could go even faster than mine with a little bit of work and a little bit more money.

Now lets go run that rig...bring it to El Mo..?

Take care Bob..

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
baki89   how big is your motor and how fast will your sidecar go thanks        willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2007, 02:17:44 PM »
Hello Willie:  Our present sidecar is stock Busa displacement.............W/Tubo.............................
We are using a after- market Ign. system that has given us a lot of problems in the past.......I think we now have it sorted out............todate we have only been at 155mph......but we expect at least another 30mph over that....(w/Passenger).
Our "old" Kawa. outfit ran 187mph. back n 1991
(W/Passenger)....................Good luck.......and be carefull.............................................................................

Offline willieworld

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007, 11:57:08 PM »
Went to El Mirage this weekend went to the rules committee meeting . Couldn't say anything but listened. There's a proposed side car rule change. The rules committee proposes the rules be changed and they usually are. The old rule 7.I.11 states sidecar platform must be able to accommodate a forward/facing passenger size and weight. The new rule will add sidecar platform must be able to accommodate a kneeling forward/facing passenger size and weight. Another rule which is not directed at sidecars but will affect me because I run wire wheels, tubeless tires when ran with a tube won't lose a speed rating. I don't know what the exact wording will be and I'm assuming that they are only talking about bias ply tires. I'd like to thank everybody for replying on this site, whether I agree with them or not.
thanks Willie Buchta 349B
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

bak189

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007, 12:33:52 AM »
Willie...thanks, for the info. on the sidecar rule changes....................................
BUB sidecar rules on sidecar platform.......
!0C. Passenger Platform:
The sidecar platform must be large enough to allow a passenger to ride in the sidecar. The minimum dimensions of the passenger's space on the platform are 32" long by 12" wide.  A shield must cover the sidecar wheel and tire on the inside of the passenger platform.
If carrying a passsenger:  There must be a handhold mounted for the passenger. The sidecar mounting hardware and/or ridged bars may not be used as designated handholds. Passengers must ride in kneeling or prone position.
In lieu of passenger: A minimum ballast or weight of 60kg (approx. 132lbs) must be securely mounted in the sidecar.......................................

Straight forward and easy to understand..........
Right!!!!!!!
It will be interesting to see how the SCTA/BNI M/C rules people write up their NEW sidecar rules................................................................................

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007, 12:45:26 AM »
The SCTA sidecar rules have the same dimensions for the sidecar platform.  No handhold requirements which makes perfect sense as no passenger is being carried.  And thankfully no silly ballast rquirement.  I, again, ask the question as the SCTA records are not recognised by the FIM why should we have to carry ballast?  In the car classes it is not required to carry three passengers if the car has the capacity to carry four people.  Nor is it required to carry ballast.  I rode a bike and sidecar on the road for many years and I didn't carry a passenger all the time.  I don't have a problem with the SCTA sidecar rules as written.  That is if they have enough sense to leave them alone.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline willieworld

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007, 12:53:14 AM »
You and I are on the same page.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2007, 12:54:35 AM »
The SCTA sidecar rules have the same dimensions for the sidecar platform.  No handhold requirements which makes perfect sense as no passenger is being carried.  And thankfully no silly ballast rquirement.  I, again, ask the question as the SCTA records are not recognised by the FIM why should we have to carry ballast?  In the car classes it is not required to carry three passengers if the car has the capacity to carry four people.  Nor is it required to carry ballast.  I rode a bike and sidecar on the road for many years and I didn't carry a passenger all the time.  I don't have a problem with the SCTA sidecar rules as written.  That is if they have enough sense to leave them alone.

Bingo,

"Johnny tell him what he has won!"

J

PS. so if I add a "hand hold" that will slow me down 60+ mph?  Willy and Nortonist get it..do you?

J

Offline willieworld

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2007, 12:59:06 AM »
The only problem is if I have to kneel on my sidecar I won't have room for my nitrous, my little ice cooler and my cappacinno machine...And who's gonna drive my bike while I'm kneeling?
Willie
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2007, 01:13:43 AM »
The only problem is if I have to kneel on my sidecar I won't have room for my nitrous, my little ice cooler and my cappacinno machine...And who's gonna drive my bike while I'm kneeling?
Willie

Willie,

Let's "roll"

J

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2007, 01:15:08 AM »
I Like this ...John Noonan, Dynoroom, Dean Los Angeles, racefanwfo, bak189 and 5 Guests are viewing this board.

bak189

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2007, 01:16:55 AM »
O.K............Guys...........you keep running your "wheel on a stick" at SCTA/BNI...................and we will keep running our "real sidecar" with AMA/FIM....
I just thought you all might have been interested
in reading rules that came about from input from the "racers".
P.S. Willie and Nortonist....."you are on the same page"????.....Hold on to your "sidecar stick" ....the page is being turned over as I speak.......................