Author Topic: Chute Tube Diameter, Length and Material Questions??  (Read 4039 times)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
Chute Tube Diameter, Length and Material Questions??
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:59:23 PM »
 :? At last, I am constructing the frame for my sidecar streamliner and would like some input as to what material to use and what diameter of tube to get for the chutes. I was thinking aluminum but the salt is soooo corrosive to aluminum.  What about stainless, fiberglass, or even carbon fiber of plastic? How about the diameter and length? What would be the best for a couple of 5’ or 6’ chutes? At this time, I am planning on popping the chutes from each of the tubes using pressurized air.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks  :-D
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Chute Tube Diameter, Length and Material Questions??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 12:31:35 PM »
I have molds for 5",6", and 10" tubes. I can make them in glass or carbon fiber. alot of pro's amd con's on ejection method, i am sticking to the old fashoned, fail proof, spring ejection pilot.
kent

Offline JimW

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 04:43:35 PM »
I have heard repeatedy that you can't 'push' a chute out of a tube.  You can pull it out.  Hence the pilot chutes you will hear about.  (never tried it, but this is what I have heard)

Thanks,
Jim.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:35:57 PM »
Sizing the container, and release methods. should be at the wishes of a competent chute builder.
Packing it too tight will be the cause of many failures.
A chute builder with mostly drag strip experience may fail to realize the moisture the chute will absorb after the first use and it expands dramatically.
A clean chute that fits just right, or even a dirty one, will work where a wet one is just too tight.
When the panels are wet, they are also lazy to deploy and the material design selection is compromised because the material will allow a measured percentage of air through it and if it is wet, all bets are off..
Find out about you chute and recognize you must care for it as if your future depends on it.
A guy most of us know, used a 16 foot ring slot on a tiny 200mph roadster.
 It was so big, we commented that with a head wind, it would back him up.
He took a shower with it every night and it was for sure clean and dry before he loaded it up himself. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

bak189

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
O.K......here is one for you, Loose........where do you plan to mount your chute on your streamliner SIDECAR???????????????????

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 12:44:43 AM »
I'd strap it on the rider's back- but what do I know? -I'm on my way to WENDOVER!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:46:33 AM »
I'd strap it on the rider's back- but what do I know? -I'm on my way to WENDOVER!
The chute on the back is in common use by water ski racers and open race boat types.
I only know of only 2 bikers and the one that got off his rocket bike at speed saved his life with it, but the wrong choice of clothing resulted in him sitting a little lower in the chair now.
With no broken bones he just had to deal with the lost meat.
Just the mention of it to fast bikers, scares them to think about.
It is only automatically deployed if you are separated from your ride.
It sits you down on the portion of your bod that has the greatest mASS, keep you from tumbling, elevates your back about 15 deg. , and puts your feet out front.
Also important is it causes you to stop in a different place than your bike.
It is a drag chute and not a drop chute and packs very small, high on the back , like the aerodynamic hump that some imagine helps them to go faster.
Speed Sport participants in general believe all the other types of Speed Sports people are crazy to do things the they do.:wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 10:25:52 PM »
:? I was wondering what effect the chute might have on the sidecar liner. I think the best location would be located at the actual cg of the unit. But due to the design parameters of the streamliner sidecar that may not be feasible. The mass of the “liner” will be much greater than the mass of the “sidecar” so there shouldn’t be such a drastic pivoting action around the moment that a slight steering correction couldn’t control it. It is one of those things where we will just have to see how it handles through the licensing runs and if it wants to get out of shape when the chutes are deployed, then we will have to address that issue (among the other hundred or so) before trying to go any faster.  :-D

Please note: I am going to test and address these issues at our local airstrip before B’ville.  :wink:

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 06:27:22 AM »
Because of the offset nature and variations of the mass, for the side to side final attachment, consider a  Y type harness, with 2 points of attachment that will tend to want to pull straight, even if the load is off center.
Consider that 1 operator might weigh 225 and the other 125.

bak189

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:29:40 PM »
Yes,,,,,,let me know how it works for you.....some of our sidecars have had a chute mounted.....but we todate have not deployed one...................
I think Jack, may well have the right idea on the attachment points...........good luck........ and be carefull..............