Author Topic: Chute problem  (Read 9541 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Chute problem
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 11:31:17 PM »
i never hit my fire bottles... actually those are the last bottles i would use and would prefer to replace Ed Sheares or one of the SCTA's instead of jacking around trying to get a cold fire bottle refilled. Every pass i have ever made Ed or a SCTA safety worker was there as the car rolled to a stop. By the time i'm out Ed is looking under and feeling the body for heat just in case she is on fire. Had a brake fire at Elmo once and the safety crew had the body off before i got my dzus tool out of the cockpit (i have one duct taped inside to my seat). Were these guys trained? yeah i'm pretty sure.. heck they drove up in a fire truck and had on fireman's cloths so I'm pretty sure they passed some kind of training. Are they trained to put out a race vehicle fire? by the way they doused my car down i would have to say no! Do i care..?. hell no! They put out a fire in my race car! Ok to clarify things.. I built my car to have the turbo and hot exhaust up high so if i window my crank cases i wouldn't spray oil onto a hot exhaust. This has worked well (yep i have blown a few motors) the fire was the little K&N filter on top of my jazz puke bottle that happens to be about 3"below the rear motors exhaust... it melted and cough on fire... the fire crew came up to my car as i was crawling out and saw flames between my motor and yelled fire and ran back to there truck and both of the guys came running back to my car and unloaded 2 big bottles in the motor area front to back....yes i think they got a little excited and if they would have taken a split second to see where the fire was coming from they could have saved me a lot of clean up.... now let me also make this perfectly clear...... i dont give a shit about my car..!... if they had waited a split second it could have been a fuel fire and blew up...!... I would have been sick if my car blew up and hurt someone...my pissin and moanin is just that, i can clean my car up and am damn luckily it didn't burn to the ground....do i think they did the right thing..?.. Hell yes..!..they put out a fire... are they trained to put out fires..?.. seems so, they put one out for me....
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 10:52:32 AM »
i never hit my fire bottles..........................do i think they did the right thing..?.. Hell yes..!..they put out a fire... are they trained to put out fires..?.. seems so, they put one out for me....
kent

Kent hope you don't mind, but you had me smiling at the end of your post even if it wasn't a funny situation.

One thing I love about you is I never have to wonder what you are thinking  8-).  You've also given a lot to the sport and your fella racers, thanks,

Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 12:41:59 PM »
yep... I'm one of those guys that thinks out loud... whether ya want to here it or not..LOL... i guess y'all are lucky i don't think with my typing finger or i would have more posts than jack...LOL...now if i can figger out how to riddle like jack :?
kent

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 01:58:03 PM »
Not part of "Chute" thread but an interesting take on speaking before thinking.

An article in today's newspaper about Senator Tim Johnson of So. Dakota who had a stroke a while back. Even though his speech is slurred he plans on rejoining the Senate. He says "I has an unfair advantage over my colleagues right now. My mind works faster than my mouth does."

Hey by the way, I would love to see Kent as a Senator or Congressman!!!!!!! We need straight talkers.

Tom

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 04:35:49 PM »

Hey by the way, I would love to see Kent as a Senator or Congressman!!!!!!! We need straight talkers.

Tom
[/quote]

The result will be a multi murder trail which will be for weeks on the first page of the USA today..........

"US Senators talked to death...."
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 02:17:31 PM »
 :-D
True, springs are wound cold. A process that imparts stress into the wire as it is forced through the helical die. However, after the wire is formed into a “spring” or helix, it should be stress relieved. Stress relieving the spring can be achieved by placing it into a conventional cooking oven. Place the spring on a cookie sheet and take note where each end of the spring starts and stops. Draw a top view of the spring and identify where the spring ends start and stop. Turn the oven on and set it to 392 deg. F (assuming your oven is accurate). Use an inferred temp gage to get exact. After the spring reaches the 392 deg. Hold that temp for at least 1-hour then turn your oven off. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR. When the oven & spring have cooled back to ambient temp, remove your well-done spring and see how much the ends have changed from the drawing you made previously. Your spring is now “stress relieved”. Add salt and enjoy!

Terry :wink:
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 09:33:23 PM »
The stress relief method that Terry recommends is bad for business if you sell replacement  pilot springs.
Think about a engine valve spring, with the time it is at speed and decide about the service life of your chute puller outer. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 10:25:14 PM »
If your having any problems with your parachute launching cleanly you might want to check out this product.

http://kadograceproducts.com/7.html

You can email Tim at the site or send me a PM for more information.

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »
Gee
very similar to the part that Bob Stroud sells.
Used them on the Fusion.

Rick
Rick

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 07:05:30 AM »
The springs on my chutes are only packed to an from the races spend most of their time hanging free inside the pilot chute---not stressed relieved I will try on my new springs!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!