Author Topic: Chute problem  (Read 9540 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Chute problem
« on: August 25, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »
This is just a heads up about a insignificant little item and what it can do. 
  I have been running a Deist chute and cable until this year and I replaced the chute with a Stroud.  The Deist cable has a cross piece on the end which is used to snap the cable on to the chute pack.  The Stroud does not use the snap piece, just the raw cable housing and cable end held in by the cord.  When I pulled the chute, one single shroud line caught that cross piece, wrapped around it, and turned the entire chute into a giant wad.  The stupid part is all I needed to do was to unscrew the cross piece from the cable housing and everything would have been kosher.  Luckily I wasn't going fast enough to get in trouble, but it just shows how the smallest detail could have caused a disaster..........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Chute problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »
hey here's another good tid bit to file in your memory banks......
......"DONT TOSS THE LOW SPEED CHUTE OUT AT 293MPH!".... it'll take ya 3 days to clean all the fire extinguisher crap out of your engines.....
kent

oh did anyone get it on film?.....

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 06:51:24 AM »
......"DONT TOSS THE LOW SPEED CHUTE OUT AT 293MPH!".... it'll take ya 3 days to clean all the fire extinguisher crap out of your engines.....
kent

Sorry, no....but I got you after the roll on the side of the streamliner, having a expression in your face "can I get a six pack of beer..."
You be at the salt to WF? I bring you the CD-ROM......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »
gonna try for the WF. making alot of things better. changing a few thing i have wanted to do for a long time.
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »
If used with the Diest pack, the t-bar snap will pull the top flap away and hasten the release of the contents and secure the cable end behind the flap.
With out that kind of pulling action to start the process, I had a
Stroud chute stay in when it was freezing at EM.
The string loop and the pack were so cold and stiff that it would not release without a touch, and that was with a spring loaded pilot..
An unsecured hook in the path of the chute will hook.

"You get what you pay for and experience is the best teacher." (or something like that) :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:30:07 PM »
Jack, I like the Deist snaps, and am going to install them on my Stroud Chute.  Lionel Pitts turned me onto a neat trick with the chute release loop:  smother it with vaseline, and I guarantee it will end any cable release issues you may have.  It also makes installing the safety tag a lot easier........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:38:29 PM »
Sure , if ya wanna be seen with Vaseline.
Real racers carry a tube of K-Y hanging out of their back pocket. 8-)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »
Stroud, told me not to expect the pilot spring to retain is strength longer than about 2 years---my ribbon is in it second season and I noticed it is getting easier to pack will be ordering new pilot chute this winter.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »
kent

Hey Kent, you didn't violate the "don't crap in the firesuit" rule did ya?  I'll bet you were still vibrating at midnight...  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
Spring steel material takes a set, and like valve springs will form to it's surroundings over time.
The strength of the material does not change and remember it is wound in a cold process.
Storing the pilot spring in the released position will substantially add to it's life, and if it can be removed from the fabric even better.
Just like a valve spring, if you leave it compressed, it will not have the same pre-load tension over time.
In Your lifetime, you should / will never keep a pilot spring fully compressed long enough to make a difference.
Dragging it on the ground as you slow to a stop will damage the fabric, long before the spring.  :wink:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »
Stainless:

Kent sat with us at our trailer the afternoon of his error -- and he didn't stink.  I'll admit that there are some folks that think their s**t doesn't stink, and I won't go into the discussion to decide if Kent's one of them. 

Whatever -- we thought he had held up pretty well for someone that went all topsy-turvy at darn near three bills just a few hours earlier.

PS  The fenders were waiting for us when we got home, Kent.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »
I can confirm that Kent was not shaken after the three roller - only that he needs a six pack beer to wash his frustration down that he has to replace the whole body work............
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »
when i got done rolling i landed on my wheels... so i just drove it off the track...better than the 217 crash that left about a mile debris field..... and when i got to the return road i saw one of slims green mini condos and decided to head over to it but the fire truck was approaching kinda fast so i decided to stop for 'em.... i wish they woulduv emptied both of there big ass bottles on the little fire instead of inside both turbos.... :x.... ta answer yer question... no poo in da suit :-D. altho my wife's increasingly calling me full of shit makes me wonder if i have since the crash :?...
kent

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 08:54:48 PM »
when i got done rolling i landed on my wheels... so i just drove it off the track...better than the 217 crash that left about a mile debris field..... and when i got to the return road i saw one of slims green mini condos and decided to head over to it but the fire truck was approaching kinda fast so i decided to stop for 'em.... i wish they woulduv emptied both of there big ass bottles on the little fire instead of inside both turbos.... :x.... ta answer yer question... no poo in da suit :-D. altho my wife's increasingly calling me full of shit makes me wonder if i have since the crash :?...
kent

Kent do you want me to come to the shop and get the video from you and have my friend edit it for the rest of us to see or have you got it figured out?

Scott
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:52:37 PM by isiahstites »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 09:20:33 PM »
Kent, the fire extinguisher into the turbo's comment brings up some interesting points.  Do our safety workers have any training in extinguishing a fire.  I am not sure that I would know where to spray a fire in a streamliner.  Marlo's new car has ports installed to stick the fire extinguisher into.  Of course if the body is gone, the point becomes moot, but just as we mark the power shut off, perhaps you streamliner guys ought to follow Marlo's suit........just a thought.  p.s.  I carry twice the required amount of fire extiguishers on board than required, spares in the truck don't do shit to put a fire out in the race car...Bob
Bob Drury