Author Topic: talking to people at the line  (Read 7431 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: talking to people at the line
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 02:32:51 PM »
All drivers should sit in the cars they are driving and play race car. If they do this enough they become very comfortable in the car and with the controls. They have reacted to the worst case senerio's that their minds can think of. If you do this enough you don't need to get into a zone untill the motor starts.

Same goes for the starting line. Teams should rehearse what needs to be done at the starting line in the pits to get everyone familiar with what needs to be done. That will avoid panic on the starting line.

Just my opinion.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »
The unwashed and unknowing outnumber the in crowd. For a lot of non-racers, newbies and even old hands, this is the closest to nirvana it gets. If you look closely most of the crowd is drooling over your vehicle. Watch the guy nudge his buddy and say, "Wow, that guy goes over 200!".

I did it do it, you do it too.

A sign at the start line would go a long way. "Warning! No spectators past this line!" With the line three cars back. There's plenty to see back in the line to keep you busy forever. Having said that, everybody wants to watch from the start line, the nearer the better. Edgercating the rubes goes a long way.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 03:05:22 PM »

I see a bigger problem with the huge number of unnecessary vehicles in the pits. I had a real issue with cars turning in front of me when I had the car in tow and trying to maintain tension. IMO too many motorcycles zipping around the pits.....many were just spectators. And seen some unbelievably unsafe driving between roads end and the pits. On one occasion when leaving the car in line for the night we came up to the coned off lanes that go from the pits to the roads end and I slowed down to let the cross traffic by and this guy (from Texas) floored it and passed me but did not  realize that I slowed down because of the oncoming cars.....it  was the closest thing I have ever seen....only feet away from getting Ted at 80.......crazy. The guy in the car must of freaked, I know I did!

Yeah - I also saw some really stupid stuff with motorcycles during one of the times the course was shut down.  Several dumb people popping wheelies in pretty close to where the cars are.  (They shouldn't be doing this at all . . . )

And this was our first year being pushed rather than towed - lots of dumb things that made it hard to keep the race car up against the push bar.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 04:18:51 PM »
You are beginning to see the problem with mixed traffic of all kinds and speeds that gave birth to the no drive back rule for racers and the ID on any motor vehicle that helps to police the growing problem.
Ask me about the local's keys that are safely secured in the bottom floor of the "Green Room" and how much a tow back to town cost.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 05:14:11 PM »
No problem if spectators are coming to the front line at the starting line......may be, by some racer like Fast Freddie you better stay away.....but therefore the starter takes care......

Only what they have to do, is, to have some respect for this what's going on in this area.

And by the way, it 's not only the spectators who are not taking care.......some press guy's are driving me more crazy....sometimes they are more ignorants than the spectators.....jumping in front of my lens...
......and disturb the crews during their work......if this guy's got only five minutes for their picture, than they are on the wrong place and better stay at home....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 07:23:28 PM »
Tom hit the nail right on the head.  When I am strapped in my car I am running and re-running two scenarios thru my mind: the sequence of the run I am about to run including the proper shut down and turn off order, and more importantantly how I will deal with a fire and getting out of the car.  It ain't just a matter of unlatching the seat belt and opening the door, it starts with hitting the fire bottle, shutting off the fuel, killing the mag, hitting the chutes, stopping the car, unlatching the harness and restraints, unlatching the window net, un-hinging the door bar, unlatching the door net, removing the fresh air hose, opening the door, removing the steering wheel, and trying to get a fat, arthritic body out before I have a heart atack.  When you havn't driven the car in a while, thats a hell of a lot to think about........
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 08:14:57 PM »
Why don't we put the snow fence up like we do at El Mirage. It works better then nothing. I suggested this to Lattin before speed week.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 09:19:13 PM »
It ain't just a matter of unlatching the seat belt and opening the door, it starts with hitting the fire bottle, shutting off the fuel, killing the mag, hitting the chutes, stopping the car, unlatching the harness and restraints, unlatching the window net, un-hinging the door bar, unlatching the door net, removing the fresh air hose, opening the door, removing the steering wheel, and trying to get a fat, arthritic body out before I have a heart atack.  When you havn't driven the car in a while, thats a hell of a lot to think about........

Bob, you ever feel like its getting to much I would be glad to take your stude for a few high speed runs for ya....wont have to pay me or nuthen'.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 09:43:15 PM »
J.H., a few more Krispy Kremes and your in................... :wink: :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline half-fast

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »
Personally I have mixed thoughts about the whole issue, with two separate examples, and do not think it pertains to just the starting line and do agree common sense does need to prevail, and not all have the same level of common sense.

In the pits thrashing on the motor to have a news camera and/or general spectator jump beside you and start with the questioning personally bothers me. Having the same occur when you are sitting on a lounge chair having a sandwich and a brew is welcome.

At the starting line when you are ready to make a run again is a little bothersome, but by the same token Spectators and other racers gave me the push 'pop-start' on my return run when the battery was too weak and I flooded the motor. I was able to come back around and leave under own power. Without this involvement there would have been no return run, so the help and 'interference' if you want to call it that was definitely welcomed and appreciated.

I think it is all part of the experience.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »
Personally I have mixed thoughts about the whole issue, with two separate examples, and do not think it pertains to just the starting line and do agree common sense does need to prevail, and not all have the same level of common sense. 

I think it is all part of the experience.
Experience will develop the sense that is not all too common and with that each can operate at their own level.
If somebody is in your path, tell them so that they gain at least that bit of experience that should help in the future.
You don't have to be mean about it, but how else are they gonna know ?
Do it right and you will have made a friend forever, do it wrong and well there you are. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 01:43:05 PM »
One advantage of racing a Street Roadster is that you have to have a horn. Mine works, but I haven't had to use it (except to let Jim Jensen know the belts are tight enough).

Tom