Author Topic: talking to people at the line  (Read 7432 times)

Offline V8Pinto

talking to people at the line
« on: August 24, 2007, 06:09:51 PM »
I saw this mentioned in another thread about sportsmanlike conduct.

When I am getting ready to race, I don't like anyone talking to me.  Having said that, I am reminded of many times as a spectator where I have walked up and talked to racers getting ready to run (sorry!  It's just so exciting!).

How do you balance being accessible to people (that's what is so great about our sport) with your own need to get in the zone?

This trip to Bonneville I just gave up on trying to have my own "me time" when approaching the line and talked to people if they asked me anything.  I'd prefer to minimize it though.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline MadDuck

Re: talking to people at the line
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »
I was the one that brought it up and you are right about accesible and talking with people but the start line should not be that place.  We have 4 people with specific tasks to get done and interruptions are not at all welcome.  Starting a race vehicle is not a good place for spectating, certainly not an alcohol/fuel vehicle.  If SCTA were to "fix" something just for me that would be the start line control.  I would also restrict spectating from impound, four hours goes by real fast when you weren't really expecting to qualify and the first hour is used up just getting there.  The pits are fine and company is always welcome.

I drive the chase rig and the number of people that choose to stand in front of it at the start line drives me nuts.  A number of people have assured me that driving over them is very bad karma.  Looking at getting one of those jet bikes for demo purposes.  I think I may be turning into a "grumpy old man".
Fly on RI Rocket #27

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 07:54:37 PM »
I have also witnessed several incidents where some spectator was standing between the race car and the push truck and completely oblivious to the needs of the race team to get a car off the starting line smoothly.

I personally draw a line at the point that the driver starts to button up the driving suit and put on gloves etc. That is a safety related time, and I never approach or ask questions of the teams once they begin that prep process, of checking hood pins, pulling safety pins on chutes etc.

Perhaps a friendly warning sign about 2-3 car lengths back from the line reminding folks that the teams are involved in final safety checks and that this zone is for the race team member to focus on critical preparations.

It also drives me nuts as a person interested in photography to patiently wait for a specific shot to develop and just as I am raising the camera to frame the shot some guy trots out in front of everyone else like he is something special and takes up a position so close to the cars that it is impossible to frame a picture with out a view of his butt in the picture. Folks need to have a little respect for the other spectators too, who have positioned themselves a reasonable distance from the starting line action. Look over your shoulder before you plant your self front and center. It is common courtesy for photographers to not intrude on others shots, and you will frequently see experienced shooters asking others if they are in their shot and moving slightly so as not to screw up others view of the action.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:56:16 PM by hotrod »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 09:26:14 PM »
I can't believe it but I just posted about this same subject under the Sportsmanship topic, and then bingo, here is another topic about the same thing.........go figure.  Just to add, I learned every thing I wanted to know about building a car thru the time and generosity of other racers, and being able to be near the cars and bikes at the starting line is a big part of what sends chills up my spine.  I don't want anyone to lose those times and thrills, but as others have stated, it can make the driver and crew a little nervous.  I always worry about some body popping the chute while I am ready to run.  The starters seem to do a pretty darn good job of keeping things orderly, but I think a 50 foot zone would be nice within 50 yards of the starting line...........Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Rocket123

• SaltSurfers
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:35:42 PM »
Can I just apologize now to anyone who tries to talk to me right before a run (especially the first one) my friends don't even like me then, and yes I am always on myself to try and act better.
http://www.SaltSurfers.com
Nothing succeeds like persistence. I hope!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:39:33 PM »
Ditto...............maybe if we printed a disclaimer notice on the window.....................
Bob Drury

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »
It's worse @ El Mirage, OOPS, wrong thread but same topic. When you are 3 back and mentally getting ready to run, it's not the time for in-face photos or interviews

Offline DallasV

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:14:47 PM »
I think it's just a matter of who's driving. I have made hundreds of passes in the roadster and I'm OK BS'ing until I start getting the belts cinched down. even then it's usually someone on the crew shooing people away. I don't start trying to get in "a zone" until we light the motor. I have had Al Teague call me over as he was getting strapped, just prior to a 400 mph run, to ask how the course was on my run. I also know people that lock themselves in their push-truck, close their eyes and go thru the run in their heads for 5 or 10 minutes. Here is my suggestion. If someone is sitting around looking relaxed shooting the shit, go ahead and approach them. If someone is tuning everything out around them, eyes focused down the track, avoiding other people, or having a serious one on one with someone on their crew, don't do anything to get in their head. Most people can tell when they are annoying someone. Use common sense. If your talking to me on the line just back away a little when the the starter points at me then points down the track.....the push truck mirrors hurt when they hit you on the side of the head.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:45:25 PM »
Dallas, you bring up a good point.  I imagine that the more experience one has, the more relaxed they will be preparing for a run.  For myself, I only run Speedweek, and I will be the first to say that I am a little rusty especially before the first pass.  The first few years I ran the car, I had trouble driving and keeping my eyes on the gauges at the same time.  Now its no big deal to scan the gauges while aiming for Floating Mountain.
Bob Drury

Offline Mac

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:37:30 PM »
And I just thought it was us rookies that had pre-start jitters! When it was time to get our driver suited up etc, I just said "Okay folks, he's mine now" and people dispersed. Everyone was very nice.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
As a crewmember and tuner for a few cars out there, I also noticed a lot of people asking questions right during staging and at the start line.

But I remember being one of those curious onlookers and when I had questions, people answered them.   

What I did this year to try to be able to politely chat with people during staging was have a DETAILED checklist and someone reading it aloud, every few minutes.   We found that with proper planning, we can stage and launch the car without any last minute rushing, in fact we had the #787 studebaker launch process down to a calm science...  such that it was fun talking with people right up to the point we strap the driver into the car.   At the actual start line, people seemed to get the idea to stay back a ways.  A simple toot of the chase truck's horn got people out of the way when it became time to leave.

I'd hate to see the SCTA keep people away from staging and the start line, it's one of the big things that makes this sport so accessible to others.   You don't get that in most other forms of racing, except maybe drag racing.

-scott

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 01:00:16 PM »
I'd hate to see the SCTA keep people away from staging and the start line, it's one of the big things that makes this sport so accessible to others.   You don't get that in most other forms of racing, except maybe drag racing.

-scott

I have to agree with Scott - I see people's points and concerns, but it's not hard to politely point out it's a serious time for you. 

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »
As one of the "Press" people on the starting line I done myself some rules.

1. I leave the cars, bikes in the first three rows direct on the starting line alone - the driver/rider has to concentrate and the crew has to do their job.

2. Shooting in the first row - close up only from the rear of the vehicle, but so that nobody of the crew is effected - front shoots only from distance with a longer lens.

3. Especially stay away when the starter is talking to the driver/rider

4. When I like to shoot in front of the starting line (close to starting vehicles) I talk to the main starter that he knows where I go/stay for the shooting.

5. Only press pass people are allowed to be in front of the rope at the starting line, so I wear my pass so that it could be always seen from the starter - and follow the instruction which was given to me for the area in front of the rope for safety.

Exception of #1 I do only, when I know the crew/driver/rider, that they got no problem when I come close for to wish the best luck and may be for a quick shoot, or by biker with crew when they show that they like a small talk to shorten the time of waiting.

But this normally only from the second row backwards, not the first row.

I'm sure the teams will appreciate when everybody try to follow this "rules" a little bit for the safety of the racing.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 01:32:36 PM »
Common sense will always outperform written rules for both sides, unfortunately, like written rules, not everybody has the same level of understanding. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »
You guys all sound like my pop.
I did not see a lot of people causing a problem at the start line, and there will always be people that dont understand what is going on that do stupid s#@t. I see the ignorant people are the ones that should be embraced by racers and crew if nothing more than to educate someone about what is going on. Chances are that if they had a better clue they would not be doing whatever is irritating. Many of the spectators that I was able to speak with came from a long way away to witness what we do. It is for this reason alone that they have my respect.  People handle situations differently but as far as I am concerned if I am sitting on the line and had a jump seat and a spectator wanted to ride shotgun jump in I will be happy to answer anything someone asks, even if it is at the expense of a momentary inconvenience.

I will however be the first to tell someone to get out of the way if they are in front of a push truck or really causing a problem....

I see a bigger problem with the huge number of unnecessary vehicles in the pits. I had a real issue with cars turning in front of me when I had the car in tow and trying to maintain tension. IMO too many motorcycles zipping around the pits.....many were just spectators. And seen some unbelievably unsafe driving between roads end and the pits. On one occasion when leaving the car in line for the night we came up to the coned off lanes that go from the pits to the roads end and I slowed down to let the cross traffic by and this guy (from Texas) floored it and passed me but did not  realize that I slowed down because of the oncoming cars.....it  was the closest thing I have ever seen....only feet away from getting "T"ed at 80.......crazy. The guy in the car must of freaked, I know I did!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 05:33:21 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)