Author Topic: Trouble with Mickeys  (Read 9140 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Trouble with Mickeys
« on: August 20, 2007, 12:43:01 PM »
 Without trying to be a rumor monger, apparently there was some trouble with the new M/T tires at Speedweek.  MacDonald and Pitts shredded three tires above 250 mph.  None of the tires lost air, rather shredded the rubber and outer cords.  Does anyone know of any other problems with the new tires?  By the way, congrats to Dave and Lionel for breaking the 300 mph barrier in AA/FALT.
Bob Drury

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Trouble with Mickeys
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 01:30:32 PM »
i popped a goodyear.. had to have one aired in... oh by the way fed ex considers wendover to be a rural area so save the extra dough and don't pay for the AM delivery cuz nothin shows up before 3pm.
kent

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »
The first two tires were older M/T's that Dave had run before, he got the car a little sideways and pulled tread off the outside tire on one and the inside tire on the other. This also dislodged some of the rear body work from the car. After that was repaired and a new set of Mickeys installed he did have a 1/4" strip peel off the tread on one tire, Mickey Thompson is going to check it out.

Dozens of others people ran their new M/T tires at speedweek with no reported problems.

Bob A year or so ago you said we weren't going to get tires now we have them and there's problems? It took years of meetings and phone calls to get tires made, and this is our thanks, no wonder big company's don't want to waste their time with us LSR folks.Thanks for not starting any rumors. People have always had tire issues, it's the nature of the beast. Dave's car weight 5500 lbs. makes over 1500 hp and goes damn fast. Might be a weight problem or ???. Everyone needs to inspect there tires after every run (Dave does) and keep in mind what it is we're doing with them.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Update
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:03:40 PM »
I was asked to pass this along also...
The Folks from Mickey Thompson Tires were at the salt inspecting tires on many vehicles including the Nish's 'liner & Chauvin Emmons new rear engine modified roadster. They inspected Dave MacDonalds tires (the first set were over 6 yrs. old). Dave was the only person to report problems. Mickey Thompson is working with us not against us.

Thanks for the tires guys! 
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »
Howdy All, :-D

Are there very many cars that use the drag racing front runners as drive tires? Saw some pics of some Mickey ET fronts on drive axles. Any problems reported with those?

As the cadets at the AF Academy are told: IF it has tires, wings, or mammary tissue; You're gonna have problems.  :-o

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:26:15 PM »
Dyno, you need to calm down long enough to read the post.  I asked if anyone other than Dave or Lionel had problems, having two sets myself.  I never said I was not getting any, I said at that time I did not need any.  Go back and read the posts rather than spout out negative comments.  If there is a problem with the tires, we all need to know, not cover it up.  No one has said anything negative about the tires or the company.  When you say "this is the thanks we get" don't make it sound like you made the tire deal happen.  It was the result of lots of work and calls by dozens of people other than yourself and the courage of a few people in the M/T office to battle the heirarchy that made this deal happen.  How many tires did you buy?
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 08:22:29 PM »
Without trying to be a rumor monger, apparently there was some trouble with the new M/T tires at Speedweek.  MacDonald and Pitts shredded three tires above 250 mph.  None of the tires lost air, rather shredded the rubber and outer cords.  Does anyone know of any other problems with the new tires?  By the way, congrats to Dave and Lionel for breaking the 300 mph barrier in AA/FALT.

Bob I read you're post and it reads "trouble with new M/T tires".
I answered the question and added that no other problems were reported to the M/T technical people on site.
As far as negative comments go your heading says it all for me.

Oh ya, 4
Michael LeFevers

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:20:28 PM »
Chauvin basically made two passes on his and there was cord showing on both. After his first spin both tires had the mold parting line still showing. He said MT looked at them and told him there was only .030 rubber over the cords.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline sickracer

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:04:04 PM »

Bob I read you're post and it reads "trouble with new M/T tires".
I answered the question and added that no other problems were reported to the M/T technical people on site.
As far as negative comments go your heading says it all for me.

Oh ya, 4
[/quote]

This is also why there is only one official web site for the organization to keep the rumors from spreading and causing problems.. :mrgreen:

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 11:47:50 PM »
Sicko:
Do you advocate only one university in the USA?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 01:01:49 AM »
The "OFFICIOUS"  web site offers no provision for cussin or discussion, questions or answers to them, or even correction to misinformation that abounds when all the information is 1 way.
Sometimes questions that might seem dumb to some are really real to others and some of the answers are really dumb also. They are soon handled with the correct information like no other place offers.
Dan W. for example goes out of his way to explain things that come up within his area of responsibility, while others in a similar position have been known to provide the wrong information, even lie, and that reflects their level of caring. :x

"I can find better ways to waste My time than landracing." (from someone you know that was caught in a lie)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline sickracer

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 10:31:10 AM »
The "OFFICIOUS"  web site offers no provision for cussin or discussion, questions or answers to them, or even correction to misinformation that abounds when all the information is 1 way.
Sometimes questions that might seem dumb to some are really real to others and some of the answers are really dumb also. They are soon handled with the correct information like no other place offers.
Dan W. for example goes out of his way to explain things that come up within his area of responsibility, while others in a similar position have been known to provide the wrong information, even lie, and that reflects their level of caring. :x

"I can find better ways to waste My time than landracing." (from someone you know that was caught in a lie)

I can agree with the cussin and discussin... :mrgreen:

But when it calls for decisions on the racing or reports on conditions @ racing locations one site is enough for that information, it may not been in a timely manner for some people but it was a tuff decision to be made. And when it was made it was posted.  I wonder how many racers made there decision not to come to the salt based on what was posted here!!  There was plenty of salt to race on and as always happens later in the week you could make as many runs as you could get in line for....  :? :?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 11:41:15 AM »
This started out to be a commentary on tires, both their availability , and then suitability for use.
Was it seen anyplace else, or was it the privileged information for just a few ?
Were some of the old stock of tires back doored to some at the expense of others just last year ?
People notice those things.
The original language of the question might have rubbed some people the wrong way, and perhaps was misstated but the question was as legitimate as any and deserved an answer.
Keeping your head in the sand until somebody tells you it is time to get up , leaves you quite exposed.
The rumor network is best handled by the widest distribution that will boil it's self down to the truth faster than just about anything and that leaves the participant to make their own decision.
Who and where did somebody say you can kiss a certain class of racers good bye if the Speedweek format was to continue ?
Who suggested a club running format that would increase the run time for everybody ?
When and who was the first to use the 2 track method ?
Did I mention the interviews ?
I know and read it here first, no lie ! :wink:

NEXT ?

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
Sicko,   As I stated, I was not trying to start rumors, merely ask a question.  We LSR racers are aware of the inherent dangers of our endevours, but we also need to share information if there are problems with products used by others besides our selves.  When I asked the question it was not as a condemnation of the product or the manufacturer, rather a question of a potential problem that You and I should be aware of and keep a eye on.
As a car owner I owe it to anyone driving my car of any possible problems whether existing or potential.  
  If there is a problem, how do you intend for the message to get out before the next meet is run?  It is ludicrous to think that the SCTA/BNI can handle the job in short order, nor is it their responsibility.  This site encourages the free expression of idea's, news, and yes, rumors which may or may not be accurate, but none the less is timely.
  I am suprised you waste your time on here.
  Mike, I appologize to all if my statement on the MacDonald & Pitts tires was inaccurate.  I should have stated that the first tires to shred were "new tires" leased from M/T tires last year and previously manufactured by the same company from the same molds.  These tires were and are rated at 600 mph by the manufacturer and cannot be bought or sold, nor can they be used by any driver not listed in the lease agreement.  
Bob Drury

Offline sickracer

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:31:32 PM »
Sicko,   As I stated, I was not trying to start rumors, merely ask a question.  
  If there is a problem, how do you intend for the message to get out before the next meet is run?  It is ludicrous to think that the SCTA/BNI can handle the job in short order, nor is it their responsibility.  This site encourages the free expression of idea's, news, and yes, rumors which may or may not be accurate, but none the less is timely.   

What is timely about a rumor or possibly bad information?    The water problem of 14" @ the salt as an example. The SCTA/BNI is working it's way into the modern age of electronic communication, this is an independant web site and it should stay that way, for officiall info it still should be the SCTA site.