Author Topic: What is Fair?  (Read 9572 times)

Offline desotoman

What is Fair?
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »
While looking over the new records at Bonneville it has come to my attention that one car set 5 records.  2 in the Comp Coupe class and 3 in the Classic Class. It appears they set the comp coupe records first then changed and ran in the Classic Class. Which looks according to the rule book to be legal.

But the rule book states "Once a vehicle in the Classic Category has competed in an SCTA-BNI sanctioned event, the vehicle must remain in that category for the current racing season."

My question? Why is it OK to flip flop one way but not the other. It would seem to me for the sake of fair play you should not be able to do this.

Anyone care to comment.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

landracing

Re: What is Fair?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 09:27:24 PM »
Well the Hot Rod team with Dave and Turks sure played by the rules, as the rules were written.

Seems they had a plan and did it... I see nothing wrong with it... So the rest of the year they have to run in Classic Category... Not sure if they plan on returning to the salt this year or not..

I say good on them... I sure hope a new rule isn't written because someone set alot of records..

Jon

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 10:32:27 PM »
We did the same thing with the #1950 Buick. 

Offline t russell

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »
If rules are written and someone uses them to their advantage they are usually called champion.Then rules get re written.
If 1 car sets that many records I'm damned impressed.(not that I count) but it takes smart racers to do that . Just my 2 cents worth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »
Possibly that is the rule. if so it is an example of not thinking things out before publishing the rule book. It is nonsensical to work one way but not the other.

Offline half-fast

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:47:13 AM »
I agree with Jon on all respects on this one good on them! Smart thinking and Racing!! No rule change necessary!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 01:35:10 AM »
I agree with Jon on all respects on this one good on them! Smart thinking and Racing!! No rule change necessary!

'cept it was a rule change that allowed it to happen.
I have no problem with anyone using the rule book to his advantage though. It's been done many times, just look at what happens when you add an engine to your streamliner at El Mirage.... or Dolan....

Congratulations guys!

By the way I was against the classic class.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:38:08 AM »

Read it and weep.
We set a different class record everyday of
Speedweek with the same basic car , 2 years in a row.
Elmo finally had a fit at El Mirage, so for the next meet I had 2 of them.
Wendy got number 1 and 2 in SDRC points that following year and I can still hear the screaming.
Once you do something first, that is the end of that for everybody else. :wink:

NEXT ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »
Funny stuff,

Congrats to Keith, Tanya, Dave and crew!

J

dwarner

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 11:46:49 PM »
Tom,

If you plan your program properly you too can become a multiple record holder. The Classic Category does not have a Comp Coupe class. Add a full belly pan and you are in the Modified Category, Comp Coupe class. A couple of records later, remove the pan and you are a Classic Altered. Three records later and you leave with a record per day.

BTW, for the meet that was never to happen, was just to sell t-shirts according to this message board and the other email list the records poo poo that idea. The records, 95 car and 78 motorcycle, were done by the real racers, not the never run or will never runs.

DW

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 12:28:31 AM »
Dan... Your my hero...

Guys... Dan convinced me several years ago to go after a lower comp coupe record by building the belly pan... so I've had it laying around my shop.. collecting dust...

Freiburger thought this would be cool... and I kind of poo poo'ed the idea...  5 records in a week was a bit over my mental capacity...  but... what the heck... it was worth a try...

David's motor soldiered all week... then we snatched the blower off the thing stuck on a single 4 barrel manifold with Nitrous and ... it ran faster then our 12-1 crate motor...  so we up'd that record a bit as well...

Fun stuff...

Keith
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:49:25 AM »
Tom,

If you plan your program properly you too can become a multiple record holder. The Classic Category does not have a Comp Coupe class. Add a full belly pan and you are in the Modified Category, Comp Coupe class. A couple of records later, remove the pan and you are a Classic Altered. Three records later and you leave with a record per day.

DW

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. So would it be legal to do it the other way? Run the Classic Altered Class first, then switch to Comp Coupe Class.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 02:07:39 AM »
Each class has a maximum allowable number of changes you CAN make.
If you can beat the record with something less than what is considered to be "State of the Art", well you beat the ODDS also.
The "ODDS" are actually the most fun to watch. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 09:57:21 AM »
Tom,

If you did it the other way you would have been entered as the Classic first and stuck there.

DW

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:34:22 AM »

My question? Why is it OK to flip flop one way but not the other. It would seem to me for the sake of fair play you should not be able to do this.

Tom G.

Tom,

If you did it the other way you would have been entered as the Classic first and stuck there.

DW

Disclaimer: I applaud the records that were set, since they just followed the rules. Honestly I am not picking on them.

Now back to my original question, why do we have such a rule? What am I missing? Isn't the Classic Class support to be a slower class since they are older cars, and not allowed state of the art engine management systems. Why do we restrict them and make them run for a full year in that class? Yet on the other hand it is OK to run in Comp Coupe class then change to Classic Class, but it is not OK to run Classic Class first then run Comp Coupe. I really don't get it, and don't think it is fair for the people running in those classes.

Examples: We don't do it for Roadsters. You can run a Street Roadster in the Roaster Class, you can run a Street Roadster in the Modified Roadster Class. You can run gas in a fuel class. But once you run Classic you are stuck.

Help I am clueless as to why?

Tom G.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 12:40:41 AM by desotoman »