Author Topic: Dates for Bonneville 2008?  (Read 15408 times)

Offline John Nimphius

Re: Dates for Bonneville 2008?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 11:38:32 AM »
Income from all sales is a factor and should be considered.  However, it would seem that racers and their crews, family and friends as well as racers not running that year provide the bulk of sales revenue. 
Spectators may be reduced somewhat, but the Monday start is still a great idea that should be tried.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
An extra $100 for an entry would go a long ways toward replacing the lost spectator and sales revenue. Racers would likely save more than that with the reduced room rates for the weekend. Don't like to spend more than is necessary but I also want rooms and a healthy SCTA. Both SCTA and USFRA do a great job for the racers. We need to keep them financially viable, or in the buzz-word of the day, "sustainable'.

RogerL

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
I'm with Richard, raise the entry fees if needed. The current fees are a real deal compared to the overall cost of racing at Bonneville.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 07:47:21 PM »
OK for the fun of it I will play the devils advocate.  :evil:

Let's say Speedweek next year starts on a Monday. Just how many people will get to Wendover by Saturday night so they can get their car or bike inspected on Sunday? How many crew members will be there Saturday to help get vehicle inspected on Sunday? How many family and friends will get there on Saturday to help out? (set up pits on Sunday) If everyone is going to get there by Saturday night what have we really gained? Most everyone I know wants to get to Bonneville for the start of Speedweek. Heck I know some that got to Wendover on Wednesday for this years Speedweek.

Or are we really our own enemy? Just how many more entries can we take on and still be efficient. Is it time to go to a lottery system for entries and say limit the amount of entries to 500. Just how many more courses and workers can we find to man everything that is needed? How many more rooms will be needed to support say 600 entries? More courses and more workers require more rooms also.

Just something to think about.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:49:26 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
Limited accommodations, limited environment, limited hotel facilities, limited usability of the racing surface, limited runs, limited people running all of that, unlimited spectators, unlimited entries.
Even with all the things you believe are fur shur, " You pays yer money and ya takes yer chances."
I can still here the screaming when the Bonneville date was moved to get a better chance at the weather and the full family types said it was over because it was so close to school start dates.
As previously noted SDRC discussed and approved a start as late as Wed. with the promise from Bendover of 500 additional rooms.
Did I miss something ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 11:56:23 PM »
   Well said Richard and Jack. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday start, higher entry fee I'm in. It is a race event not a cruise in. Would the side show come to town if all the race cars and SCTA did not show up? Lets do whatever it takes to have a place to run. No spectators, its OK by me. See you all Oct. 2. Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 12:17:08 AM »
Vince gets it !!!!!
This is a competition, and not a car show.  8-)

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »
The best part of this discussion is that regardless of the start date it is your decision to be a part of the event or not. Is this a great country or what?

DW

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »
Vince gets it !!!!!

Good enough, get ready for your reg fees to go up,,, oh,,say 725% to cover the loss of spectator revenue!
Salt Junkie

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 01:26:04 PM »
Income from all sales is a factor and should be considered.  However, it would seem that racers and their crews, family and friends as well as racers not running that year provide the bulk of sales revenue. 
Spectators may be reduced somewhat, but the Monday start is still a great idea that should be tried.

Arent Family and Friends and Racers not Racing ... Just Spectators ? Anyone thats not directly part of the " Crew " would be I would think.

And last years spectators can become next years crew members and Course Workers.

Even if the event starts on Monday, wont it run into the next weekend ? Or will the event still end on Friday, or is it assumed that enough people will have left by then to open up rooms for the gamblers ?

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »

Arent Family and Friends and Racers not Racing ... Just Spectators ? Anyone thats not directly part of the " Crew " would be I would think.

And last years spectators can become next years crew members and Course Workers.

Even if the event starts on Monday, wont it run into the next weekend ? Or will the event still end on Friday, or is it assumed that enough people will have left by then to open up rooms for the gamblers ?

My understanding is that it will work through the following weekend.  I talked with a hotel manager yesterday (fixing some charges I shouldn't have gotten) and she was aware - said it would only impact one weekend instead of two.

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »
Vince gets it !!!!!

Good enough, get ready for your reg fees to go up,,, oh,,say 725% to cover the loss of spectator revenue!

Lots of speculation going on.  I know the folks selling SCTA merchandise work really hard - but maybe it might be worthwhile for the club to do a survey on a block of time on the weekend and during one week day.  For an hour or two ask the purchasers - "You just a spectator or here with a team?" and write down the amount. 

I know it's some work - but do an hour or two here and an hour or two there and extrapolate . . . then we'd have something closer to "facts" to work with.

Or set up a table with some clipboards - ask folks to write down the amount of their purchase (rounded up) and click a check box for which they are as they walk away.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2007, 02:08:36 PM »
The SCTA/BNI posts a financial report after each event or shortly after. If you belong to a club the information is available at the Club Reps. meeting. The sales does help support the operation and if there is a rain out it helps offset what was done up front. The other thing is the cost to replace equipment each year, nothing lasts forever except the volunteers. They can't be sold or given away.
Glen :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2007, 02:36:48 PM »
" Good enough, get ready for your reg fees to go up,,, oh,,say 725% to cover the loss of spectator revenue!"

You're sure a positive guy. You the person who was bitching about driving off the end of the road one morning? As I posted earlier -your choice whether to leave the comfort and anonymity of the asphalt or not.

DW

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2007, 02:55:26 PM »
Don't forget that Bonneville subsidizes El Mirage. Expect fees to go up there too if the finances don't work out.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.