Author Topic: Last drag race at Los Angeles County Raceway  (Read 2144 times)

Offline jdincau

Last drag race at Los Angeles County Raceway
« on: July 29, 2007, 05:14:51 PM »
     I went to the last drag race at L. A. County Raceway this morning. One of the most exciting vehicles there was a Dodge van entered by that intrepid Batman and Robin duo of land speed racing Freiburger and Turk. They were thrashing hardly to break into the sub 20 second 60 MPH bracket. Here you can see THEM (driver and passenger) staging, going through the traps and holding up traffic on the return road. You did notice the proper use of the turn signals turning into the pits didn't you. Kidding aside they made me ashamed I didnt bring my truck out for one last pass down that magnificent sorry old piece of asphalt I have been going to that track since it opened and in 1988 was on the crerw of a blown alcohol dragster that set an NHRA speed and ET record for that class. Yes LACR was a Division 7 track then and we didn't know how good we had it.
Jim in Palmdale
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Last drag race at Los Angeles County Raceway
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 01:44:47 AM »
Three generations of our family have won there over the years and the most successful of all the MC races we did on the West Coast were there.
It was previously operated and closed before Bernie took it over when he was still doing t-shirts in the back of the Sporting Goods shop.
Their JR dragster team did quite well in Denver last week.
He was even AHRA for awhile when NHRA gave him the snub as they seem to do so often.  :wink:

Just for Jim: Brendan's average reaction time on a .5 tree is .065.
He is 13 with 5 years experience and #3 in NHRA Div. 7 Jr. points.
He might already be better than we ever were. LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"