Author Topic: 2-barrel carb v 4-barrel carb  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Loose Goose-Terry#1

• Terry
  • When in doubt, GAS IT!
2-barrel carb v 4-barrel carb
« on: July 28, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »
:-D I am in the process of designing an intake manifold that will adapt a small supercharger to a 1500 Honda Goldwing. I am debating over which way to go when it comes to the carb. I plan on running alky and am not sure what cfm would be best for B'ville. Would a 2-barrel be better than a 4-barrel? Budget is pretty small so I can't get too wild. Would Holley be less expensive and easier to tune than a down draft Weber? I don't think cv carbs would work but since I have never tried them before, I can't say for sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Terry
If I had it all to do over again...I would!

Offline russ jensen

Re: 2-barrel carb v 4-barrel carb
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:18:59 AM »
1500 divided by 16.3875 = cuin=91.54 x rpm divided by 3456= cu ft required for 4 stroke eng-{think this is correct from memory}8000 rpm should need  aprox 212 cuft. A small holley 2brl should do it- think they are 350's..
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 12:21:44 AM by russ jensen »
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 12:30:41 AM »
An S+S side draft carb has all the parts and pieces to make all the HP you need and can be set up for gas and high % of nitro and anything in between with available parts.
They are around on the used market for cheap and S+S can help you with anything else you need. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
Fuel flow is the important consideration for the salt, for blown and fuel applications. 
Unfortunately we have experienced the main jet flowing more fuel than the float needle can handle,  :-o didn't think about that till about midnight after changing the piston.  We have that little bit of stupidity on VHS or Beta, can't remember which  :roll:
The S&S won't have that issue...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 01:34:45 AM »
Fuel flow is the important consideration for the salt, for blown and fuel applications. 
Unfortunately we have experienced the main jet flowing more fuel than the float needle can handle,  :-o didn't think about that till about midnight after changing the piston.  We have that little bit of stupidity on VHS or Beta, can't remember which  :roll:
The S&S won't have that issue...  :wink:
mini rods never gave any trouble in this area & 215 Buicks [w 6-71 atop& 800 holley}would burn 3 gal in 300 ft- used biggest needle & seat available - {when it got to 327 w/ 8-71 atop it was a problem}long haul on salt may be a diff story that could be cured by reading one of Jacks posts on the subject from a while back-wish I had thought of it myself..
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 02:13:16 AM »
Jetting is as important as it ever was but keeping the same level of fuel available to it  for the duration is often the weak link.
You can actually make minor changes in the tune-up by raising or lowering the fuel level to fine tune between jet ranges but it never has to be that precise.
Early Offy  alky motors actually routinely used a "floatless Carb" that had an adequate supply inlet with no needle restriction and an overflow return to maintain the desired level.
As you increase the size of the seat in a needle and float setup, you also need more float energy to control it or you must decrease the supply pressure.
With more float size you reduce the space for the fuel.
Bad news !
The S+S is unique in that you can get it supplied with an adjustable secondary inlet that puts fuel straight into the bowl at whatever throttle position you select.
The adjustment still uses the float circuit also and the overflow canister should have just a small amount in it to verify it was always full.
A simular system can be built for any carb with a float, but it is not often used. :wink:   

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"