Author Topic: Bonneville Rookie Question  (Read 2325 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Bonneville Rookie Question
« on: July 25, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »
Do we have to have a tarp under our chase vehicle in the pits?  Basically tarp under everything? 

Heading out to buy Tarps later...
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
Re: Bonneville Rookie Question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22:42 PM »
I typically haven't seen this done.  It's mainly for the cars you might be working on, dripping oil or other fluids.

We have one big one that we set up camp on, and one littler one (we call the victory tarp) that is brand new for impound - keep it in the chase vehicle.

Oh - and bring a few brooms - you'll be sweeping salt off your tarps all the time, makes working easier when you aren't rolling around in it.  And don't expect to use the plastic stakes to hold the tarp down.  (I made that mistake - got a few chuckles from those around me as I bent them up.)

We end up using heavy stuff like spare tires or ice chests on the corners . . .

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
If you must nail it down, bridge spikes are the cheap deal and steel form stakes are the best, if you don't mind a few flat tires and serious injuries.
Heavy stuff on the edges is really the best best.
If you set anything down directly on the salt, sell it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 12:46:13 PM »
A cordless or non-cordless drill motor, dry wall screws and fender washers. Easy in, easy out at the end of the week. It ALL goes in the trash on the last drive out.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »
Instead of drywall screws -- I use 4" - 7" lag bolts -- the wetter the underlying mud, the longer I need.  Fender washers help keep the grommets from tearing out of the tarp plastic.  They bolts have 7/16ths head -- I use a socket in the drill chuck to install/remove.  Have a spare battery or charger handy, too.

Screw down EVERY grommet hole.  If you skip one -- that's the one the wind will get under and start tearing the others loose, resulting in you having to chase down your tarp as it heads towards SLC.  Also place heavy stuff on the edges at night, and probably something in the center, too, helping reduce the "bubble" that'll form when the wind gets under there anyway.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 04:55:19 PM »
Great excuse for a Makita...  "Honey I have to buy a cordless drill because it's required at Bonneville"

yah!!!
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4