Author Topic: Hayabusa Engines in Car Classes  (Read 49922 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Hayabusa Engines in Car Classes
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2007, 05:43:59 PM »
If you time everything to happen in the lead engine just a couple of degrees ahead of the other (if coupled at the crank), each power plant can act on it's own and the lead engine will always tend to keep the coupling tight, even if it makes far less power but can keep up with the revs.
A crank coupling with no ability to have just a little flex will cause a lot of problems to be transmitted to the other.

If the fat guy and the skinny guy on the scale doesn't compute, how about the big guy and the little guy both pushing a car for all they are worth ?
It works for girls too.
 Think little power and big power.

Q: Who is gonna get there first ?
A: The car will get there first and won't care who did how much.

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2007, 09:42:02 PM »
That was kind of the idea I was thinking of.

The analogy that comes to mind is trying to peddle a bicycle that is a gear too low, you just can't peddle fast enough to keep up with the peddles after it gets moving very fast. As a result you are unable to transfer any power even though your working you buns off.

With that in mind you would need to look at methods so each engine could always be doing its share of work. In large stationary engines this even becomes an issue from cylinder to cylinder, they actually time each cylinder independently so that they are sharing the load equally. If one cylinder does not carry its share of the load (like a miss-fire) the next cylinder in the firing order gets overloaded and goes into detonation as the piston cannot relieve pressure in the combustion chamber as fast as it should.

I imagine the same thing happens on a double engine that if one skips a beat or goes flat the other is suddenly in over its head and gets lugged down.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:44:18 PM by hotrod »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2007, 11:21:53 PM »
NOPE
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline power58

« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »
I'M Not familiar with the Hayabusa engine. Is it like the special V8 engine with Suzuki heads ? Or is it a production bike engine ?   
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline Unkl Ian

« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »
It's a production bike motor.Very powerfull in stock trim.

The V8 was the SESCO V8 that some people ran in USAC Midgets.
It used production bike heads and barrels,with a custom crankshaft and block.

I'm sure someone will do it again.
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline power58

« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2007, 10:06:11 PM »
Sounds like a hot engine. Will have to look and ask around about it next  speed week .
My inner child pretty much runs the place

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2007, 12:08:29 AM »
A note about the two engines verses one discussion.

Remember....if your peak cylinder pressure occurs after about 17 degrees ATDC, the piston is running away from the gas expansion pressure and power falls off DRAMATICALLY.  {{This may be true for a crappy short rodded 454  or 400 chev etc but does not apply to super l/r engs}}--

Fascinating problem, these twin engine machines!  I'd love to build one just to try to learn more about it.

Regards, JimL   .....see you at Speedweek (with my single engine bike).

the only problem w/ twins I have been associated with was trying to keep them both in tune-[1 -was a twin blown set of 215 buicks - mismatched indeed- 6-71 on one & 4-71 on other- coupled w/ funny car coupler- didn't bother to try to index one eng to other- just splined front of crank & hooked em up- other was twin Allisons 1- v-12 other cut into v-6- tied together w/ chain coupler]  if one is sour it is hard to tell till its a little late- like  Jack said in other post- car doesn't really care how much each guy did for effort-each does what it can.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:25:51 AM by russ jensen »
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2007, 08:41:01 AM »
Sounds like a hot engine. Will have to look and ask around about it next  speed week .

While in line this year, we were next to Bob Moreland and his Busa Roadster.  In our discussion I mentioned that the Busa was the new SBC of little engines, lots of performance parts available to make a variety of performance levels.   :-D

Bob said the SBC is the new Flathead...  :-o

have fun
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2007, 09:59:04 PM »
I was going through tech next to a guy that was running a busa (cant remember what body...it was mostly taken apart) but they had the motor in sideways with a coupler to a drive line right off the countershaft.

I wouldnt do it this way but must admit that it looked nice.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2007, 10:25:12 PM »
I was going through tech next to a guy that was running a busa (cant remember what body...it was mostly taken apart) but they had the motor in sideways with a coupler to a drive line right off the countershaft.

I wouldnt do it this way but must admit that it looked nice.

Yep that is the way some of the little roundy round cars are setup...I looked into it, but didn't like the lack of rear gears that are available, but I guess you could run one of those little quick changes they have maybe,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2007, 10:57:42 PM »
Build a geared quick change on the input shaft and swing it any direction you need to accommodate the drive shaft.
In a modified roadster or sports for example, you can offset it and sit really low out of the wind.
WATCH :wink: