Author Topic: Hayabusa Engines in Car Classes  (Read 49924 times)

Offline John Nimphius

Hayabusa Engines in Car Classes
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:10:56 PM »
There are some Busa engines in use or are planned for use in LSR car classes.  The ones I am aware of seem to be in the streamliner or lakester classes.  Are these vehicles using the original, or modified versions of the, motorcycle drivetrain? 

If so, do we believe that there is potential to use these engines in the various roadster and coupe/sedan classes (H engine size).  These cars are likely to be considerably heavier than a lakester or liner with therefor more significant drive line loads. 

What do you folks with some knowledge/experience in this area think?

Offline GeneF

Re: Hayabusa Engines in Car Classes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 10:18:30 PM »
As a former mini sprint racer the concept has certainly crossed my mind also. I believe JonnyHotnuts, who frequents this board is building a Fiat X1/9 with a m/c (busa?) motor, check the build diaries. Others have, or are in the process of, using a m/c motor in bodied cars here's a couple of pics. About the only problem area I can see would possibly in the clutch, but with the ability to be pushed up to speed that probably isn't too much of a concern. Also consider the Ledgends/Dwarf cars in oval racing, they use a drive shaft adapted to the primary sprocket shaft connected to a conventional rear end. And in the Lotus 7 clone world there are a plethora of BECs (bike engine cars) and are very popular in England.

Offline GeneF

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »
A few more pics:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 10:27:24 PM »
There has been a Kawasaki powered Berkly run in Mod Sport most recently by Dick Stevens.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 10:45:09 PM »
Most of our motorcycles have been disguised as a lakester since 1984.  The first edition we cut everything above the motor off and mounted the motorcycle frame in the car.  All have been chain drive.  Clutches are always an issue...  :-P
We were planning to put that one in our GT Zagato and run MS, until the board decided you couldn't put a motorcycle motor in any car but special construction. 
Good thing someone from out west thought of it so it can be done now...  :| Lotsa smart guys out there...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »
I am guilty of putting a busa motor in a fiat.
The clutch issue can be a problem with some MC motors but the busa motor has everything you need in aftermarket parts to build a clutch to handle any HP (up to 700+) the busa motor can make, it is also a lock up clutch so even a somewhat stock clutch (heavy springs a must and about 50$) will work for many applications (push cars are nice to prevent clutch issues).

There are some real good advantages to using an MC motor for an LSR project.
There are also some problems that need to be resolved and they are not for every application.
IMO they only good for rear engine setups, this is why I used a Fiat body. 

I think the biggest problem you would face with doing a roadster is that they are front engine.....unless you are building a "rear engine modified roadster" (a busa motor would be a perfect motor choice for a rear engine mod roadster in H class) you will have issues with the chain drive to rear wheels and while can be done, it would be a pain.

If you decide to run a busa motor I will be glad to help you with all the little things that I learned on the way and tell you what does and doesnt work. I also have a supplier who can get you as many busa motors as you need without the risk of ebay if you are interested.

If you decide to not run a MC motor and still want to run in the lower displacement classes I think it would be a good idea to take a motor like a Honda or Ecotec motor 2.0+ and destroke it to 1523 for H class.
One of the problems I have is that I am giving up some displacement if I am going to add boost because the cylinder walls get so thin when taking a 1300cc to 1500+ and adding 30 PSI (blown head gaskets). If I took a bigger motor and made it smaller I would already have heads designed to flow more and more meat between the cylinders and in the motor to take the abuse of high boost. This is just my opinion and have not heard anyone doing this but it sounds like a good idea.

In any event I will be glad to help.

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »
1523?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:03:18 PM »
H engine allows a displacement of 1523cc.  :wink:
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline tortoise

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »
We were planning to put that one in our GT Zagato and run MS, until the board decided you couldn't put a motorcycle motor in any car but special construction. 
Good thing someone from out west thought of it so it can be done now...  :| Lotsa smart guys out there...  8-)

Did you receive a formal, written decision on that question?

The next question is would a 'Busa motor in a Suzuki car or Honda motorcycle motor  in a Honda car be legal for GT?

Offline Evil Tweety

• Read more on Evil Tweety
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »

Did you receive a formal, written decision on that question?

The next question is would a 'Busa motor in a Suzuki car or Honda motorcycle motor  in a Honda car be legal for GT?

Yeah - I mean if Altered/Modified cars are already running and setting records with snow mobile engines (Warp Speed Bandit, etc.), isn't the cat out of the bag?

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 12:38:29 PM »
hummmm
1510+cc will put ya in "G".... no over displacement in the car side!
Kent

Offline tortoise

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:40:55 PM »
Yeah - I mean if Altered/Modified cars are already running and setting records with snow mobile engines (Warp Speed Bandit, etc.), isn't the cat out of the bag?

GT allows engine swaps only if they are from the same manufacturer. Is the Suzuki Automobile Corporation the same manufacturer as the Suzuki Motorcycle Corporation?

dwarner

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:46 PM »
Kent,

1523 is the top of H, page 16.

DW

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »
Gene / JH

I agree that a rear engined car provides a more adaptable use for a motorcycle engine. The idea I have sketched out for a front engine application turns the engine 90 degrees and uses a chain to an offset drive shaft and conventional rear axle.  Gene is that how the vehicles in your pictures are set up?

John
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:10:21 PM by John Nimphius »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:55:40 PM »
"a front engine application turns the engine 180"

180?  Or do you mean 90 degrees?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com