Author Topic: SCTA get new look  (Read 23392 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: SCTA get new look
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2007, 08:13:08 PM »
I now have a new and higher appreciation for the "Moon Equipped" sticker. :wink:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:33:00 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2007, 01:10:57 AM »
I have been looking at this thread for several days and was trying to figure out what I thought about it.

I got involved in LSR because of the people and going fast, but more importantly having fun. I may never set a record, but I will continue to try and make my car and my driving better, and have fun doing so. I got out of Drag Racing in the early '70's, it was already getting expensive to be competitive. The thing that drew me (more like sucked me into LSR) was the friendly environment and willingness of everone to help, even people running in the same Class. The only $$$'s involved were going out, not coming in.

Professionalism to me is a way of responding. You earn your living thru a profession. Most of us would be grateful to be paid for what we enjoy, but we do it anyway.

The Olympics have been mentioned several time as the true  "Amateur" sporting event. B/S! All of the premier events have athletes that have major sponsors paying the bills. Remember the PRO Basketball and Baseball Players allowed to compete? Maybe we need a term between  "Amateur" and Professional, how about "mercenary".

I certainly understand where Kent is coming from. How about "the Worlds best unpaid Professional Racers"?

Just my opinion!

Tom

(LSR, the Worlds best UNMOLESTED Racing)

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »

My observation over the years of following various forms of motor racing is the minute a "prize" is posted, there will be those willing to spend a dollar [or more] for every dime posted to "win" it.  Better to attract backing for LSR from those willing to realize the score upfront [all outgo, no promised pie-in-the-sky-later] because they want to do it for love of the sport.

LSR: Infinite ingenuity fueled by the passion for speed.  PURE MOTORSPORT

Ed Purinton

Offline JB

• New folks
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2007, 09:47:48 AM »
How about,
The most professional ameteur sport in the world? :|

Offline OhioFatboy

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
I like the revolving pictures, i just cant figure out why the picture of me is the only blurry one. haha
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:08:18 PM by OhioFatboy »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:43 PM »
i think for some things status is reversed. For some in Land Speed racing, like sex, people who do it for love look down on people who do it for money

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2007, 11:35:06 AM »
I'm proud of our amateur statis, but not sure it should be our motto.  I'm always bragging how we're able to put on an international event with an all-volunteer organization (except for one hard-working "part-timer").

The SCTA has existed, yes even thrived, without major input from outside sources.  The bank account is well.

And as for getting more publicity, the MOVIE hasn't helped our events that I can see.  Longer lines, more wanna-bes, more posturing, rat wreckers taking up hotel rooms and just generally being annoying. 

A few years ago (and I don't know all the details) the organization allied itself with one of the cable channels.  They then wanted to restrict members' video recording.  And they wanted to hold up record runs one morning until their helicopter got there.  Yes, we all like our publicity, but being subserviant to other entities doesn't bode well for the health of our old, renegade, hot rodder sport.

It's fine when some of us can make a living (being professional) at land speed racing.  And they should be called professionals and be proud of it.  Let's hope all us amateurs and professionals can continue to enjoy our "sport" or "profession" side by side without outside influences changing things to benefit themselves.  After all, there's no other reason for them to be involved.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Jr.

« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »
I'm proud of our amateur statis, but not sure it should be our motto.  I'm always bragging how we're able to put on an international event with an all-volunteer organization (except for one hard-working "part-timer").

The SCTA has existed, yes even thrived, without major input from outside sources.  The bank account is well.

And as for getting more publicity, the MOVIE hasn't helped our events that I can see.  Longer lines, more wanna-bes, more posturing, rat wreckers taking up hotel rooms and just generally being annoying. 

A few years ago (and I don't know all the details) the organization allied itself with one of the cable channels.  They then wanted to restrict members' video recording.  And they wanted to hold up record runs one morning until their helicopter got there.  Yes, we all like our publicity, but being subserviant to other entities doesn't bode well for the health of our old, renegade, hot rodder sport.

It's fine when some of us can make a living (being professional) at land speed racing.  And they should be called professionals and be proud of it.  Let's hope all us amateurs and professionals can continue to enjoy our "sport" or "profession" side by side without outside influences changing things to benefit themselves.  After all, there's no other reason for them to be involved.

Stan Back

:-D You are so correct Stan!!! :-D
Bob Sights Jr.

"Speed is no object price is the problem"

Gear Grinder

624 G/BSTR 171.173 El Mirage

627 H/BFMR Bville 176.787, H/BGMR Bville 181.089 G/BFMR El Mirage 180.10, G/BGMR El Mirage 187.534

"Worlds fastest to the cooler of beer"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »
Whoo hooo.... "are you ready for SPEED" I like it....and the new lay out...
Kent

Offline desotoman

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »
Whoo hooo.... "are you ready for SPEED" I like it...
Kent

Not very original. It does not make my wicky wacky, in other words kind of boring in my opinion. But I am glad it makes you happy Kent.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
Another TOUCHE. :wink:
Tough crowd. LOL
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2007, 04:33:42 PM »
"Land Speed Racing"

The Fastest show on Earth: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

Offline desotoman

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2007, 04:56:37 PM »
"Land Speed Racing"

John,

Very good. I like it. Maybe it will catch on.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2007, 06:14:43 PM »
"Land Speed Racing"

When do the clowns & circus tent arrive?  :roll:
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

John@JE Pistons