Author Topic: SCTA get new look  (Read 23391 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: SCTA get new look
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2007, 08:21:51 AM »
OK, finally broke down and looked amateur up in the dictionary...  :|
amateur1 [ˈӕmətə, (American) -tʃər] noun
a person who takes part in a sport etc without being paid for it  :-D
Example: The tennis tournament was open only to amateurs.

amateur2 [ˈӕmətə, (American) -tʃər] noun
someone who does something for the love of it and not for money  :-D

amateur
1784, "one who has a taste for (something)," from Fr. amateur "lover of," from O.Fr., from L. amatorem (nom. amator) "lover," from amatus, pp. of amare "to love" (see Amy). Meaning "dabbler" (as opposed to professional) is from 1786.   :?

I wish I could be a professional Bonneville racer, and make a small fortune doing what I love, unfortunately I don't have a large fortune to start with, and than is the only way you can make a small fortune in this sport.  :roll:

Still agree with Kent's World Class line, we should add that to the website!  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ack

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2007, 09:16:57 AM »
Ack
In the links section www.landracing.com is listed under all things racing.
Glen :?

OOPS

A real professional would have found it.

Now why would they put it under racing????

LVMAXX

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
 :-D

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:57:53 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2007, 11:57:55 AM »
Why not let them finish it and make a few changes and corrections. It's very time consuming to build a web site and it really pays well. They know it takes time and there will be a few errors that will be corrected. Or volunteer to help. :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

LVMAXX

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2007, 01:51:29 PM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:58:09 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »
If you want to make suggestions use the contact feature on the web site. They have already said if anyone has ideas etc to let them know.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2007, 05:21:19 PM »
To those who commented about multiple windows popping up -- what you're experiencing is a function of your web browser -- Firefox.  It is not something that's in the web site -- there's nothing that the site does that makes the windows pop up or not.
Other sites don't cause popups like the new site, and the popups I'm getting are separate windows when I have my browser configured to open new pages in Tabs, not a separate window.  The code being used Does cause popups as in lines like "onClick="return popup......."

When I use Explorer, after clicking on a link then hitting my "back" button it takes me to the last Non-SCTA site I was visiting.  Very strange, don't know what's happening there, but I can't browse that site like I can others.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »
If the event pays no $$$$$$$$$$$ prices I would think it s a "amateur event"...............................
The BUB pays $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ prices I would think it is a Pro-event
Neither event is limited to participation by Amateurs or Pros.
Ownership and control by the promoter is what decides the priority of the event and evidence would indicate the result also.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 01:08:42 PM »
Kent !
Stop screaming and do more reading.
The JCB and Ohio State efforts fall under the FIA and not the FIM.
A return to a competition will help to insure the event's future as is evidenced by it's longevity.
Their should be lots of money floating around from the now historical F-1 series at Indy.
The first Post WW-2 President figured out how to make money at LSR events, Wally invented Drag Racing.
MT did it for Offroad Racing when he put it into a Stadium near you.
Both were LSR pioneers and made lots of money in spite of it. :wink:

"The bigger they are, the harder thy fall." 
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 01:36:26 PM »
Drag racing was fun before the advent of money. I have nothing to sell to land speed racers, so I fail to appreciate how growth has benefited me. No rooms and longer lines do not make me happy. As Pork Pie pointed out the Olympics is/was an amateur event and is considered pretty prestigious.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2007, 03:02:40 PM »
As Pork Pie pointed out the Olympics is/was an amateur event and is considered pretty prestigious.

Rich,
    That is exactly the way I look at it. It has no negative meaning to me.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

LittleLiner

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »

Kent is right.  Kill the caption.  The word "amatuer" has "loser" written all over it.

Burn your dictionaries.  In typical American English the word 'amatuer' is a negative term.  When some group can't get their act together we say, "Boy, what a bunch of amateurs!"  . . . and we don't mean a group of folks that is the best in the world at what they do even if they don't get paid.

The best replacement I can come up is . .  'Ingenuity and passion in the pursuit of pure speed'   Yeah, I know it won't cut it either, but at least it doesn't imply what amateur does. 

LVMAXX

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:58:30 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 02:36:52 PM »
 "Boy, what a bunch of amateurs!"  . . . and we don't mean a group of folks that is the best in the world at what they do even if they don't get paid.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, sometimes, the big paid professionals are more worse than the not paid amateurs....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RichFox

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 03:37:57 PM »
NCAA seems to do alright. Get lots of attention every March and September. Seems like the SCTA could do as well. If it would not bruise anyone's ego to much.