Author Topic: SCTA get new look  (Read 23396 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: SCTA get new look
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »
The original amateur racing!

I like it. That is what we do. We are all amateur racers, some just have more money than other to throw at it. In the end you just walk away with a record and trophy if you are lucky. Let us keep it that way.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:17:11 AM »
As noted on the "new" SCTA homepage:

<<If you do not find something you are looking for, please be patient as we are still putting things together as FAST as we can to bring you all the results, photos, news and LSR memorabilia you have come to love!>>

ATTN: SCTA Webmaster - nice job!

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:10 AM »
Tom
Who's amateurs head do ya think will roll when the Ford guy goes back to Detroit and try's to justify to his boss that he just pissed away tons of money setting an "amateur" record?   Or what about the guy that has to go back to the Ohio state dean and explain why he waisted there money and resources playing with "amateurs"? and what about our "07 sponsor Monster energy do ya think they''ll be back next year when they just realize they were tricked into believing they invested in world class event only to find out "we" class ourselves as a bunch of "amateurs" when they currently play and sponsor serious racing activities? No they wont be back. I'm not sure who in the SCTA got the monster deal but i'm sure they busted there ass in getting it. it will not happen again if we advertise proclaim were just an "amateur" organization. Do ya think the JCB guys will be back to bump up there "amateur" record? hell no they'll go get a real record with the FIM.

I'm not sure who came up with that tag line but something more creative and fitting like "World records set by World class racers" would be more accurate. Any other tag line suggestions? I dont want to send a nasty gram to the scta webmaster without recommending a solution
kent

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 05:49:42 AM »
Tom
Who's amateurs head do ya think will roll when the Ford guy goes back to Detroit and try's to justify to his boss that he just pissed away tons of money setting an "amateur" record?   Or what about the guy that has to go back to the Ohio state dean and explain why he waisted there money and resources playing with "amateurs"? and what about our "07 sponsor Monster energy do ya think they''ll be back next year when they just realize they were tricked into believing they invested in world class event only to find out "we" class ourselves as a bunch of "amateurs" when they currently play and sponsor serious racing activities? No they wont be back. I'm not sure who in the SCTA got the monster deal but i'm sure they busted there ass in getting it. it will not happen again if we advertise proclaim were just an "amateur" organization. Do ya think the JCB guys will be back to bump up there "amateur" record? hell no they'll go get a real record with the FIM.

Bollocks ! what a pompous ,bombastic display of obsequious sycophancy (puke) maybe those in the upper  echelons of the socioeconomic hierarchy ,should arbitrarily banish  unworthy financially embarrassed amateurs from participating ,lest they offend such luminous VIP's  or for the uneducated , who gives a flying F**K about ,Ford , Ohio State , JBC , Monster deal or your potential sponsors ,statements like that above fill me with the urge to defecate (the wall)
slower than most

LVMAXX

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:05 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 03:01:14 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 08:00:38 AM »
Personally I don't mind being involved in amateur racing, but I do think Kent's "World records set by World class racers" should be added to the page, above or below the original amateur racing line.
A lot of professional racers have been humbled by the salt over the years, a lot of large corporation sponsored efforts have been humbled as well.
I am sure most of us don't consider ourselves to be professional Bonneville racers, nor do we consider ourselves to be inept!  This is an amateur sport, where the common gearhead can claim to be faster than anyone else in the world, it is bragging rights, and little else.  Sponsors like to brag too. 
SCTA, listen to Kent just a little and add his line, I think if both lines were there, it really says what we are about.   

See ya on the salt
 8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 10:14:21 AM »
To those who commented about multiple windows popping up -- what you're experiencing is a function of your web browser -- Firefox.  It is not something that's in the web site -- there's nothing that the site does that makes the windows pop up or not.

Firefox uses this multiple window function to advantage -- it makes it easy to go back and forth from one site to another without taking reload time.  If you're on landracing.com, for instance, and click to see the SCTA site -- a new window opens.  Then if you want to go back to landracing.com (or whatever site you were on previously) -- all you need do is place your cursor on the folder tab and click -- you'll go to that one, and the SCTA folder will go to the background.  To then go back to SCTA -- click on that folder's tab.  You can put at least twenty (20!) different web sites up at a time with Firefox -- back and forth from one to any other -- instead of having to trace your way backwards in order like you'd have to do with the back button.

What you're seeing is a bonus good feature, not a bad thing.  Just take a little time to learn some of the new functions of your web browser.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 12:48:19 PM »
hawk
for the sake of the DRLA I really, really hope you aren't involved in the organization of the DRLA ,cuz attitudes like yours will keep it down and will never grow. Ya see, if you use the hard work from past SCTA officers and promoters as examples you will see that we have vendors, we have sponsors, we have paying spectators. Something you guys don't have and badly need to sustain any possible chance of growth. So dont hold them back cuz YOU dont want to see money show up for the benefit of YOUR sport... Go ahead pay for everything yourself. As for us including myself we prefer to spend other people's money.. sponsers that want to be involved but can't and there's sponsors that want to use specific accomplishments to promote there products or services. The bigger the accomplishments the more marketability, and the more exposure we get. you cant say the exposure in magazines and other media from accomplishments of JBC, Ohio state, so cal and others havent generated interest. hell there will be record amounts of attendance thes year, just use the pre entry numbers and lack of hotel rooms as a indecator. ok yeh, yeh for those of you already crying "longer lines, no hotel rooms" step back and look at the big picture.. look at yourself. can you honestly say, you or your racing program has not benefited from the great exposure we have recieved in the last 2 years? can you honestly say you havent got any help, weather a free part, a discount or at lease some one new has helped you out this year cuz they heard about Bonneville?????? And hawk i'm sure you have used our exposure over there to get help for your program, whether your were sucessfull or not.... you probably did. And car boys over here I'm sure you used the exposure of the movie to gain attention in some way for your programs.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 01:05:50 PM »
Wish I could participate in this technical discussion -- I can't get the damn Home Page to load!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 01:21:37 PM »
shoot i wasn't done but it cut me off.... we need sponsor money to continue to show up to continue the health of our sport. sponsors are only there for potential exposure. magazines wont show up if there isnt something interesting to report to there readers.... no magazine=no reader interest. one of those interested readers might be the guy that can help "YOU" out with even the tiny est thing like a free spark plug. so ya see its a trickle down thing... big money shows up sets a record gets magazine coverage and eventually you get a free spark plug. Hawk did i paint the picture WHY you need the people you despise?......

ok back to this "amateur" thing.... oh boy, oh boy.... i'm glad some of you think and consider yourself "amateurs" actually when asked by my insurance agent last week he asked the same qualification question the IRS asked..... and my response...... "AMATEUR"..... good glad we got that out of the way... yes I said I was an "AMATEUR"

"BUT"

I do not represent any of the hard work i do in my program.... time away from my family or personal money spent as "AMATEURISH". I do not consider any hard work put in by anyone who shows up at a LSR event to be "AMATEURISH"...... I do not consider my or any others records as "AMATEURISH" and i do not consider any member in the 2 club to be an "AMATEUR" I have far to much respect to walk up to Al Teague, Nish, Burkland, or any of you racers and call you an "amateur" but yet the SCTA website does

Do yourself a favor... stop what your doing and look the word "AMATEUR" up in Websters... page 40 in my book....It says "a person inexperienced or unskilled in a particular activity" does that sound like you?

So maybe some of you don't mind the condescending tone of the devaluing comment, but i am obviously offended by it. In the LSR racers honor, i will approach the SCTA webmaster for replacement of the comment but i don't want to be the whiny bitch and complain without a solution. So i ask again... any suggestions for a replacement?
Peace and grease
kent
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:34:02 PM by 1212FBGS »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 05:39:30 PM »
I'll have to agree with Kent on this  :cry:.  I always took in the "amateur racing" comment without putting much thought to it and maybe even held it up as a badge of honor thing of us "amateurs" setting big records.

But after considering what Kent has to say most of the racers at b'ville are not amateurs at all.  Some of them might not have a lot of money to spend, but that doesn't make them amatures or what they have accomplished as amateurish.

In fact it is usually the big companies (the pros) that are the amateurs when it comes to land speed racing as they usually are upstaged by the salt veterans who are anything but amatures at what they do.

Maybe it is time to toot our own horns and realise that we are good at what we do and are pros at what we do and be damn proud of it.  We have benefited by adding some sponsors that want to be part of b'ville along with promoting their product.  With the cost of things today any help you can get will help.

Let's also not forget that Kent is also on the other side of this equation and has donated tons of money to people who use his products, so I believe he has a feel for the situation from the perspective of the sponsor and the racer.

I like Kent's slogan a lot and after giving this some though would like to see the "amateur" slogan go and be replaced with his.  I see lots of guy/gals on the salt without a lot of money, but they are real pros at what they do.

c ya,

Sum

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »
To those who commented about multiple windows popping up -- what you're experiencing is a function of your web browser -- Firefox.  It is not something that's in the web site -- there's nothing that the site does that makes the windows pop up or not.

Not quite true.  There is a difference in the links.  The 'Competition Classes' link on the left does not open a new window for me, and I run Firefox at work.  Most of the links have a 'onclick return popup' property, that I think is responsible for causing the new windows to open.  The 'Competition Classes' link does not have that property.  All of the other links in that page that I have checked, and that do open up a new window for me, have that property.

There are browser specific settings to cause the browser to force links to open in a new tab, or in a new window, and not in the same window, but that is not the primary factor in this case.

landracing

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 07:57:29 PM »
The design process of a website, is very complex... MORE so when you are dealing with a very large website with lots of pages and data. Tables are a big issue with multiple browsers...

So you have to take a chance at what you build... And what platform do you use, what type of program do you use, what browser do you aim for? All these questions must be answered... I have data to support why I build the way I do. (Unless you have big big bucks you can make a really large website cross platform compatible and cater the output of website to the browser you are using and it takes some coding to make it happen, well above me)

As for totals this year. I have had 15,634,897 hits to the website from Jan 1 - Current.

Here is this months totals so far for browser type for Landracing.com... And this month will be about on par with a typical month this year when it finishes.

BROWSER TYPE ---- HITS ---- Percentage

MS Internet Explorer 1,949,357   83.7 %
 Firefox                      265,369   11.3 %
 Safari                         55,358    2.3 %
 Unknown                     17,699    0.7 %
 Mozilla                        17,405    0.7 %
 Netscape                    16,936    0.7 %
 Camino                         2,537    0.1 %
 Opera                           2,009      0 %
 NetShow Player                308       0 %
 Konqueror                        200      0 %
 Others                            722      0 %

Now with that information at hand, I would build the site so it fits best with Internet Explorer... AOL is a branch if Internet Explorer and it views somethings different with their integrated browser.

Bottom line is, when you build a website, it will not act the same in all browsers, so you build it to view best on which browser type views the site most... Always not so easy... More pre planning and investigating involved then just building a site, research, layout, data integration, how to upload, how to build, where or how is video displayed, how are albums being used.... Not an easy task, and nothing integrates from one type of web authoring software to another.. I don't care what they claim, it doesn't.

So with that in hand, SCTA has done good so far, I have sent a few comments to offer some outside advice on some things that were a problem.... Give it some time and it will be a good site.

I HOWEVER would never had made a change so close to Speedweek... End of year or beginning of year when no racing is going on...... Its generally easier to do when less site traffic is around, NOVEMBER is usually a slow month..

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 11:34:58 PM »
hey hows your bike commin? ya gonna be ready?
kent

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2007, 04:24:43 AM »
Kent and all other amateurs....

I always call us the "last amateurs" in sports.....

and I think so the SCTA like to understand there "amateurs".

There are two ways to read the word amateurs -

first - people who do a sport as just doing, but never really right - just so...

and second - people who do a sport very seriously and professional, to a extreme high standard, but without thinking for earning money with this - just Olympic - and you will never call a Olympic winner someone who is doing his sport not seriously.....

We all on the salt has a dream, building something to go fast, but also doing this with his own work and help from friends.
The big motor sport like formula one, Nascar, CART....this is making money....in other words....
...professional.

We are doing our sport in the same high engineering quality, sometimes in a more innovation way than the big ones.....but we are doing it from our inside, from our heart........and this is what always was called

Amateurs.

From this point of view the SCTA used the right word...amateurs.......

And Kent, you be right when you said that we could need sponsoring, our sport can't live without, it's just to expensive to build a fast and save racer or to arrange a great meet at the salt...and when we pick sponsoring in the way we get it today we are still amateurs......because it's just a support for our dreams......

I'm looking for to see you all amateurs in some weeks at the salt for a save and happy meet.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)