Author Topic: What have you done to make it faster this year?  (Read 9234 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: What have you done to make it faster this year?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2007, 09:27:53 AM »
The truth is that if you have a Chrysler in the car, people expect it to be fast. If you have a Packard in the car you have a built in excuse when you run 50 miles off the record.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2007, 11:44:57 AM »
Yeah but it will be a "classy" 50 mph off the record.  I just put a damn Chevy in my car and am none too proud of it.......................
Bob Drury

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2007, 03:44:37 PM »
I have been working with Steve Neslon on his V4/FL lakester. Installed a body blister that a friend of Steve's made, the blister covers the injectors and added a NACA duct to the blister for air inlet. Also made a set of headers. Steve's engine is a 212 cu. in. B block with a billet 5 main crank and a Rem-Offy twin cam, two valve head. He is going after the V4/FL record of Creel and Buck at 191. Helping Steve with the windshield next. As usual lots to do and time is getting short but Steve is pretty confident that he will be at the Salt on Aug. 12. Car is very well built and has all good parts so I really think it has a good chance to push the record over 200..

I have attached some pics.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2007, 03:53:20 PM »
Lets see if I can get a couple of more pictures of Steve Nelson's V4/FL lakester!

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 08:43:11 PM »
 The Flying Kiwi streamlined sidecar project continues on. If you Google "go flying kiwi" you can read the history of the project before it came to America from New Zealand.
 After running at BUB last year I got bit by the salt bug but good. So a plan to make the vehicle both faster and safer was hatched. I went down to Elmo and had a brief visit with Kent R. and made a date for him to have a looksee after BUB. I kinda knew what I wanted to do, and after reading and re-reading the SCTA rule book, what I HAD to do. The how to get there was really all Kent R., Dustin V. and Randy N. I'll be posting pictures in the build section later. The chassis has been comprehensively reconfigured. The wheel base stretched 10 in., engine moved aft a bit so a turbo can fit in later. The original spine frame was discarded in favor of a perimeter type that will allow the pilot/rider to recline with his noggin under the roll hoop. This will allow the fitment of a canopy as was originally in the design at the wind tunnel stage. The boys back in the land of the long white cloud couldn't find a good enough plastics fab guy in the allotted time, so ran with out one. They set the FIM record at 272kph with 175 rwhp with their head in the breeze.
 The fire system, data logger, removable rear frame section, parachute, steering system, fuel cell, bulk heads, bigger radiator and oil cooler round out the rest of the changes so far. I'll leave the good old GSXR 1000 alone for now and see how we go, get some time on the chassis and time on the pilot. 

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2007, 11:15:27 PM »
I just put a damn Chevy in my car and am none too proud of it.......................
[/quot   If its a tall  big block w/ long rod you should be very proud indeed...if it's a small block I wouldn't tell anybody..
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 11:17:27 PM by russ jensen »
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2007, 12:12:19 AM »
Russ, Its a 496 Dart tall deck, 6.785 Carrillos, 4.25 Callies, Noonan pistons (ha!), .792 lift Comp cam, Barnes six stage,etc.  I would sincerely like to thank Visa, Master Card and Washington Mutual Bank for allowing me to refinance my home one more time.  And I ain't shittin you...............Bob
Bob Drury

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2007, 08:48:43 AM »
"I would sincerely like to thank Visa, Master Card and Washington Mutual Bank for allowing me to refinance my home one more time."

Bob, maybe you haven't heard Ron Christensen (AM 1610 Radio on the Salt) read the information sheet when either Nancy or I are next in line.  He says:  "Seldom Seen Slim's sponsors include "Nancy and Jon's home equity line of credit" as well as. . .

I know all too well what you mean.  When I talked to my banker about refinancing the mortgage he asked if I needed any other funds.  I laughed at him and said "Glen, why even ask?  You know I'll want all you'll give me for the race bikes."
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline GH

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2007, 10:19:39 AM »
Mike Collison now owns the 1950 Buick. We have been making a few changes, added an air dam, new cow catcher, 28" Good Year LSR tires for the rear with new Marsh wheels. 26" tires have not arrived yet for the front. Installed a new aluminum radiator. He hopes to go 150 this Speed Week.