Author Topic: FIA Class Breaks  (Read 15720 times)

landracing

FIA Class Breaks
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 05:47:29 PM »
LSA dissolved a long time ago. I have a bunch of the meeting minutes for the LSA meetings.

What about the guys who paid the extra money for the LSA sanction set records, where are the records now???

Maybe Jack Dolan can elaborate on it...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
FYI
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 07:16:41 PM »
The last publication of the LSA records was in the SCTA rule book.
The records program died with Bruce Johnson and SCTA withdrew.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline KEVIN

• New folks
FIA Class Breaks
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 11:57:03 PM »
HEY D-TYPE, IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IF THEY (FIA) ARE INTERNATIONALLY RECOGNISED. IF THEY DON'T HAVE CLASSES TO RUN EXCEPT STREAMLINERS AND DIESELS, THEY ARE NOT MUCH USE TO 80% OF THE LAND SPEED RACERS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
There is strength in numbers
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 02:35:53 AM »
Al Holbert, Don Stringfellow, and Myself all set FIA records with production cars.
There are more USAC sprint cars at many events than streamliners on the planet.
Go figure ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Malcolm UK

FIA Class Breaks
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 03:42:41 AM »
Kevin

Your reply to D type should have stated "80% of AMERICAN land speed racers".

The way in which National race organisers break down vehicle types is up to them - and only the USA & Australia have currently got classes for various body types under the SCTA rules.  But nowhere does the FIA prevent a speed record racer from attacking an International class record.

If you are fast enough the FIA will sanction a speed record attempt by any type of safe vehicle at any location in the world.  As JackD points out even USA built SUVs/trucks have held (or do hold) FIA speed records.

The argument will continue as to whether a 'World Land Speed Record' should only be acknowledged as such if it has been be set by any racer, in any safe vehicle, to a standard set of operating rules, at any track location, in any country of the world.

Of the differences between SCTA/BNI and FIA I feel it remains the operating rules that have become the greater stumbling block - two way runs, over the same mile piece of land, completed in 60 minutes, with no assistance -  is how racers have striven (& some perished) to be acknowledged as the best in the World.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline D-Type

FIA Class Breaks
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2005, 04:49:26 PM »
Kevin,

We're talking oil and water here.

The FIA are concerned with who can set the fastest time in the world in a car of a certain engine size and type over a particular distance.

The US National LSR scene is concerned with who can set the fastest time over a one-way measured mile (I think) in various classes of car that reflect the history of the speed scene in the US of A.  

Neither is superior, merely different.  Sometimes the two coincide.
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

bak189

fia class breaks
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2005, 10:27:00 PM »
If you want to go for a " real" World Record (not a CLUB record as with SCTA/BNI) you have to race at a FIA and/or FIM sanctioned event.
The coming BUB event WILL have
AMA/FIM sanction for motorcycles
Thanks to Denis Manning and "FIM
Charly" (last years FIM steward)
the FIM Rules have been updated to reflect the new century.

Offline joea

FIA Class Breaks
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2005, 10:36:57 PM »
yep.........
AND NEARLY EVEYONE WHO RUNS WILL SET A "WORLD RECORD"..........

THEY ADOPTED ALL NEW RULES...........COPIED FROM GUESS
WHO?..........SCTA............

AND SO NEARLY ALL "OPEN" RECORDS...............

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
ODD
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2005, 11:24:46 PM »
The 3 fastest records with AMA are not listed.
And except for the errors and omissions the SCTA stuff came from AMA.
The small tank rule and explanation for class A is a jewel.

bak189

FIA class breaks
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2005, 02:27:26 PM »
The new FIM rules are somewhat like the SCTA motorcycle rules...the SCTA rules, came from the AMA back in the 1960's and 1970's. ( that I helped write, and that Earl Flanders from the AMA implemented until 1978.)  It all comes around!!!  If you live long enough you will see it all again...right Jack D!!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
You would think.
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2005, 02:51:41 PM »
Just when we think we have taken 2 steps forward, we find that somebody wants to reinvent the wheel.
It is not real smooth.
You might start by getting the passnger restored to the AMA side car. There was never an insurance requirement they be removed bur rather the wishes of 1 person withthe horsepower. They deteriorated into a bike with a tag wheel and not the real side car that mixes it up on every road race track in the world.
The grandma in the enclosed hack could never survived an upset reguardless of the safety provisions built into the rule. That was the exanple used to eliminate the monkey.
I think that the ability to drive one should be just 1 of the minimum requirements to ride.

bak189

fia class rules
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2005, 03:13:18 PM »
Just want to wish the best of salt and luck to all M/C people running the up comming BNI event.  This will be one of the few years for me that I will not attend the event.
I will be going to Sturgis to help out my long time sponser Barnett Tool and Eng. However, I do plan to run my equipment at the BUB races in Sept.  Best of luck to all