Author Topic: FIA Class Breaks  (Read 15721 times)

landracing

FIA Class Breaks
« on: April 10, 2005, 10:08:00 PM »
List,

There has been some discussion about Class breaks for FIA. OR what the heck do the classes mean. Here is a picture of the classes and engine breaks, I hope this helps in deciding if wish to make a future FIA attempt. I see more FIA attempts in the future for many different people. This list DOES NOT depict Production Class cars, that is a whole different class structure, email me if you are interested.

[img width= height= alt= - ]http://www.landracing.com/fiaclasses.jpg[/img]

Jon Amo

<small>[ April 10, 2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

landracing

Re: FIA Class Breaks
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 10:15:00 PM »
In Al Teagues case, for example.

He ran A-1-11
 This is explained as catagory A - which is a special construction vehicle, that about covers all LSR type vehicle (with exception to a production cars).
 Group is explained as the powerplant type. In Al's case he Ran a reciprocating 2 or 4 stroke engine with supercharger. So this example he was Group 1
 Classes is determined by the size of the engine. In the example Al Teague was in Class 11 which is over basicall 8 liters.

Hope this helps some on the class breaks and how to interpret the records better.

Here is a link to the FIA Current record list.
 http://www.landracing.com/news/FIA%20chart.pdf

Jonathan

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 04:39:00 AM »
"Production" in FIA terms means a vehicle straight off the production line.  

When you read the selection rules for getting the vehicle chosen by the FIA from three that are presented prior to 'running in' under supervision and prepared you will understand that this is a manufacturer lead category.

Category A and C are for the 'hot rodders' and if you go drag racing professionaly there is always D.

Malcolm
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

StraightSix

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »
Interesting, they have separate classes for rotaries.  How do FIA measure the displacement of a rotary?

Offline D-Type

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
It's all on  The FIA website
 The English translation follows the French
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

StraightSix

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
Can't seem to find technical regs there, only procedural . . .

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 04:03:00 AM »
What you see is what the FIA requires of an LSR attempt.  There are no separate technical regs printed.  

The technical matters are between the team making the bid and the technical officials of the country in which the bid is made (the ASN).  Apart from needing to understand that the word 'security' refers to driver seat belts and there is a need for a firewall and roll bar.

I do not know the club structure in Canada, but whichever motorsport group is the National Authority then they will have the technical rules for (lsr) vehicles in your location.

Should you run FIA in the USA then you build to the requirements of ACCUS (and one of its member clubs).

The FIA is what it says - a 'federation' of all interested countries - so apart from some International or Worldwide motorsport (such as F1) it does not dictate from the center what its constituent countries should rule on in the technical sense.

If you build to SCTA rules then I am sure your vehicle will pass inspection anywhere.  Just remember the definition of an automobile under SCTA differs slightly to the FIA - you can rear steer in the FIA!

Should you run FIA then you will know that the procedures you follow have a continuous history going back to 1911.

Malcolm

ps - under FIA you have to put the push truck back in the garage!

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 04:08:00 AM »
Straightsix

You were asking about rotary engines - I think you will find a definition in the general motorsport section of the FIA - the 'sporting code' I think.  Need to have the FIA site up in front of me to check for you.  e mail me if you need guidance - but on rotaries I am blind anyway!(LOL).  Dave Dahlgren might know.

StraightSix

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »
OK that clears it up, thanks Malcolm.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »
I got my FIM paperwork today! !

J

landracing

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 10:04:00 AM »
Wow Jon, Thats odd, I also got my packet in the mail yesterday. What a process to get a FIM Licence and lightened my bank account $240, just for the license to run FIM.

It looks like major rule changes in the FIM now, So Malcolm werent you saying something how presitgous the FIM was because they never change, well my friend lots of new changes now. It's now a hybrid of the SCTA..... All old records are now frozen in time... And now limited innovation which a person really wanted and they did offer, not anymore...
 Now a class reads something like this
 Catagory I - Group A1 - Division B - Type II - Class 9 . Whew that is the binary equivalent of MPS-BF 650cc.

Lets not get into the rule changes

Jonathan

Jonathan

<small>[ April 15, 2005, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
The comment on 'unchanging' was directed to the FIA and the consistency in the four (or more) wheeled world of classes and operating procedures.  The FIM have 'frozen' records in the recent past and so this 2005 change is not that unusual to this organising body.

Indeed I am glad that the FIM accepts changes, otherwise they would not have written into the rule book the class for thrust power or the rule for towing a streamliner.

Maybe after attending the Bub meeting last September and getting exposure to the SCTA bike world at the same time, the CTI department of the FIM took note of what is needed by the two wheeled world and moved forward quickly with these changes.

For my part, it is interesting that the  'artificial' upper weight limit on electric two wheelers has now gone.

I do not agree that the FIM now 'limit' innovation in these new classifications; you just have to run to one of the three body style configurations [that seems to be as usually found in the USA].  Can you quantify which innovations no longer apply?

Cannot comment on FIM licence costs because here in the UK the riders for LSR attempts already would have FIM affiliation through the countries sole governing body for two and three wheeled motor sport - the Auto Cycle Union - and the licence that they require here in UK.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
FIA & the plot
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2005, 04:59:40 PM »
Just thought I'd try to liven up things, do you think the FIA had Michelin drop out at Indy to show the landspeed racers who's boss? How about Malcom, do you think a FIA "World" record means anymore after they showed there true colors at Indy? Screw the fans, we're the "World Authority" on all motor sports. The tire company screwed up so screw the fans, were do'in it our way. How about a new sheriff, get rid of Max, then be the leader in motorsports, auh...who cares FTF! Even with a sirname like mine. Looking forward to Bonneville even more now!
Have A Great INDPENDENCE Day America!
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
MISSED AGAIN
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2005, 07:07:50 PM »
The F1CA would have something to say also when the rules agreed upon for the series don't allow a track to change configuration for a race because your car won't work. If it was 2 contracted cars, no one would think much of it.
They were correct to keep the rules intact and the drivers were smart not to risk a sure failure and not only kill themselves but put an unreasonable risk on others.
Blood thirsty fans and warm blooded drivers don't always see eye to eye.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Clay Taylor

Re: MISSED AGAIN
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2005, 08:53:04 PM »
Quote from: JackD
They were correct to keep the rules intact and the drivers were smart not to risk a sure failure and not only kill themselves but put an unreasonable risk on others.
Blood thirsty fans and warm blooded drivers don't always see eye to eye.

As much as I can't stand Bernie Ecclestone (the only guy in the world to make Tony George look good...), Max, and the FIA, the fault was Michelin's, and there was no good way out of the pickle.  I agree with Jack D - at least nobody got killed, except for a few beer cans.  
I was considering going out to the USGP this year, so I'm glad I didn't.  At least Michelin is going to try to "make good" on the deal.   I'm sure the FIA is glad that they only left a toe in the bear trap, while Michelin got their a** caught, and Bernie's a little shorter....

That's what I like about Bonneville - except for something weird like the gas truck getting contaminated, there is nothing except Mother Nature that can put the kibosh on a day on the Salt.

Clay