Author Topic: Rollbar material?  (Read 13147 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Rollbar material?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2007, 10:14:14 PM »
$1000.00 Good fire suit
$1000.00 Simpson helmet / $1200.00 Hans device
$140.00  Gloves
$150.00  New shoes (why not can't have to many pair of those)..........

Don't forget the fire bottles, chute, belts......

I don't know about a Hans in a lakester if you are in a lay-down position.  I think they have a minimum angle they want you to be at.  Let me know what you find out.  Did you read the "Burkland" data.   I'll have a helmet stop like he recommends and hope that does what the Hans would do more or less.

...........................I got a price of $2140.00 for the quick change rear end (100lbs axle -axle) I want to use and the gears are $101.80 each.............

What kind of quick change is this???  Got a link??  What is the ring/pinion gearing??  How tall of gears can you get??  I'm helping a guy now that got a quick change and thought he would be set, but it has like a 4.86 ring and pinion and the tallest gear is like a 2.73.  Might just work for him at first, but won't be tall enough for the future.  I think he can get a 4.11 ring/pinion for it, but that still isn't good compared to a V-8 quick change with about a 3.73 (??) ring pinion.  A lot of the quick changes are for circle track guys that wind the motors high and run really low gearing go get off the corners.  We don't have corners :wink:.  Have you run your gearing through my spreadsheet for 5 or 6 speed bike motors??

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

...................I called about a salvaged 2007 zx-14 motor w/ ecu and wire harness for $3500.00 (little on the high side IMO) will keep looking.

Thanks for words of motivation...John

Looks like it is time to change brands where it isn't quite as expensive for a motor and there are more speed parts  :evil:

Probably didn't want to hear that  :wink: ,

Sum

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:05 AM »
P.s. my motor selection is a loyalty thing.  kawasaki to the death
p

.I called about a salvaged 2007 zx-14 motor w/ ecu and wire harness for $3500.00 (little on the high side IMO) will keep looking.

Thanks for words of motivation...John

3500$ is a very good price for that motor....a fresh busa motor will cost you that.
The 14 motor sells as a crate for 6200+
http://www.muzzys.com/ZX14/ZX14_engines/index.html

Sum made a good point about brand loyalty. One of the things to consider is not only the cost of the motor but how many aftermarket parts are available, the number and years the motor was made, how many shops have experience in building HP in that motor and the HP numbers that have been made.
I may end up selling my NA motor in a few years because the reports of the new 08 busa motor is supposed to be crazy but I know it will be a few years before enough people are making aftermarket parts that it will justify a change from a well built 99-07 busa. 

The ZX14 motor is a good motor and I am sure can be pumped to break records but just remember to make your firewall thick......maybe something like 1" plate.....all Kawasakis are real bad about exploding.

(joking....good luck with whatever you run)

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Wattspd

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 12:35:25 PM »
The company that I located is called www.speedwayengineering.com in Slymar, CA 818-362-5865. Ask for Albert. 

He told me that alot of land speed guys use their rear ends due the gear selection that is available. 

Gears as low as 1:80 on up (Comes stock with 4:11)

It's called the Mini stock quick change rear end. 

That's a good point on the Han's system if I'm in a laydown position. 

I also copied the info on chutes, fire system, and belts....what stuff do you recommend for my application?

Thanks,  John

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Ever stop and figure out how many RPM you have to turn that pinion to get 1.8 out of a 4.11 R&P ? There are better ways to do it in my opinion.    Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2007, 03:29:17 PM »
The company that I located is called www.speedwayengineering.com in Slymar, CA 818-362-5865. Ask for Albert. 

He told me that alot of land speed guys use their rear ends due the gear selection that is available. 

Gears as low as 1:80 on up (Comes stock with 4:11)

It's called the Mini stock quick change rear end. 

That's a good point on the Han's system if I'm in a laydown position. 

I also copied the info on chutes, fire system, and belts....what stuff do you recommend for my application?

Thanks,  John

Not to second guess you, but the tallest gear I could find on their charts with the 4.11 ring and pinion is a 2.37??  Using my spread sheet and using some numbers I have for my 750 (don't know what yours are) with a 1.76 primary ratio, 1.25 6th gear ratio, 2.37 rear gears (change the sprocket teeth count, and you can use fractions, till you get the gear ratio) and with 26 inch tires I get 11,000 rpm = 165 and 13,000 rpm = 195.  How high does that motor make HP??

I think that 2.37 might be limiting now and for the future, especially if you go blown at some point.  Just hate to see you spend that kind of money on a rear that won't work.  Do some work with those spread sheets to see where you will be.

I'm partial to Stroud's chutes.  Fire bottles I really haven't researched much yet as the rule is changing and belts can come from a number of people.  You really need to get a rule book.  Besides the rules there are advertisers there.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Wattspd

• New folks
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2007, 03:37:26 PM »
Sum, can you suggest a good spreadsheet for my application.

They have a larger gear selection not listed on their site.

I'll look up those chutes as soon as a get a chance.

Dose anyone know if they sell the rule book at El mirage on the race days???

Thanks... John

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »
Sum, can you suggest a good spreadsheet for my application.............................

Here is the link again:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

Use the motorcycle one for how ever many speeds your transmission is.  You will need the tire size, primary drive ratio and the ratio for each gear box speed.  Then you can input the counter shaft sprocket tooth count and rear sprocket tooth count.  In your case input some sprocket teeth numbers until you get the rear end ratio you are thinking about with the quick change.

I'm with Doug that a quick change with 4.86 or 4.11 ring and pinon gears is not a good place to start.

...............They have a larger gear selection not listed on their site........

I'd be willing to bet the 2.37 is the tallest you can go with the 4.11 rear-end.  If they have another quick change on the site, not the mini one, with a 3.73 ring pinion, then they will go taller.

Sprockets can give you a much cheaper quick change  :-D.  The reason I went the way I did and why many others have gone that route.

............Dose anyone know if they sell the rule book at El mirage on the race days???............

Why not call them up and order one??

c ya,

Sum

Offline tortoise

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2007, 05:56:49 PM »
I'd be willing to bet the 2.37 is the tallest you can go with the 4.11 rear-end. 
The mini-stock unit takes a 19/40 gearset yielding 1.95. Still not a good idea, though, as you say.

Offline Wattspd

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2007, 05:58:47 PM »
Sum, Thanks for that link your the man...

I'll keep an open mind about that gear drive set-up.  I'll look at your site to see how you did it...

John

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2007, 06:58:34 PM »
................  I'll look at your site to see how you did it..

Mine is untested and maybe overly complicated, I'd look at all the motorcycle driven cars you can before you decide on anything.  I'll also be converting mine to have an intermediate jack-shaft and feel that is the way to go.

The mini-stock unit takes a 19/40 gear set yielding 1.95. Still not a good idea, though, as you say.

Thanks, I didn't scroll down the page far enough  :cry:,

Sum

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 11:42:59 AM »
Keep in mind that when you go to extreme gearing in a quickchange rear end, they are more prone to breakage.  When you start with a 4:ll ring gear, the quick change gears become further and further different in size the taller you go.  As an example, my 2.19 gear set diameters are 4 1/2 inches on one and 2 1/2 on the other!  Oh yeah, if you put them in upside down, the ratio becomes a 7.76 rear gear which might make it a tad tough to break , say 100 mph!  Bob
Bob Drury