Author Topic: P/P Temp Guage Question  (Read 3293 times)

Offline rockstar

P/P Temp Guage Question
« on: June 14, 2007, 02:20:40 PM »
Hi All.
We are coming this year with a kwak 2 smoke for the P/P class,my question is that the original temp guage is fooked and they are like rocking horse doo doo's here in the UK,can we fit a an after market guage of the same size instead or does it have to be the factory item.

Yours waiting with baited breath for your pearls of wisdom.
David
Remember Murphy's 6th law,if all goes well,then you have missed something out.

Team Sparrow Racing UK

landracing

Re: P/P Temp Guage Question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 04:12:31 PM »
Well going by the written rule 7.E.1.6

It says
"Lighting Equipment and Instruments: Must be exactly the same as fitted to the original model when it was sold....."

I would say the original has to be kept.

and also the first rule 7.E.1 says it too,

"The motorcycle must appear identical in all respects to the production model it represents..."

Seems to me that you would have to keep it.

Jon

Offline rockstar

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 05:48:02 PM »
Hi .
Thanks for the quick reply,it seems we have to scour the auto jumbles and breakers to find one that works. (O shoot 57 and ticking)

David

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 10:19:49 PM »
yep gotta keep the stocker.
Ya bringin that KR1? what kinda HP is she makin?
kent

Offline rockstar

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »
Hi Kent.
Yes we are bringing the KR,Mark hopefully will have finished the baseline engine and will go on the dyno this or next w/end,60 ish horse would be nice,our race engine for club racing has made from 62 to 70 horse on the same dyno depending on the weather conditions,seems it loves coldish,damp weather and then it goes ballistic but that is with 35mm carbs.
It is going to be an adventure any way,i see we are the only UK entry in the pre-entries, oh well back to finding a working temp guage.

See you on the salt.

David

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:11:50 PM »
...................oh well back to finding a working temp guage...........David

Do you need it to work on the run???  I don't think the rules say it has to work, it just has to look period correct.

Also you don't need it to get through tech or make runs, only if you qualify for a record, so if you do need one run the non stock one for a run or so to see what is going on and then replace it for the record attempt.

Looking forward to meeting you guys,

Sum
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 02:13:45 PM by Sumner »

Offline rockstar

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
Hi Sum
We really want it to do the run to keep an eye on temp,the original one has cold to the left and hot to the right,no figures,the one we use for racing has the temp in figures,so when we pre run the engine before a race we run it up to 40 degrees and when racing we know it runs at about 65 to 80, above that we know it is getting hot,but if it has got to be stock then we got to live with it and mark the guage to give us some kind of reference point.

David

Team Sparrow Racing UK

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: P/P Temp Gauge Question
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 08:14:24 PM »
If the instrument you have is reasonably repeatable, an overlay mask would do it.
Be sure somehow that when you calibrate it against another instrument that they are both in exactly the same environment.
Both probes in a small beaker of water that was slowly heated from below with an incandescent lamp will be the easiest to manage and give the best side by side comparison. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"