Author Topic: how to choose the right parachute  (Read 11398 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: how to choose the right parachute
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
When you are discussing parachutes with any supplier remind them you don't need to stop in 50'. Many still think the need is the same as the drags. Cross forms hit harder than triangles and are harder to "choke" down to soften the hit. The most important item is its coming out and location on the vehicle so it will keep all 4 wheels on the ground.

Remember to rinse in fresh water and dry it between every run at Bonneville............. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 11:23:36 PM »
The panel area and material have more to do with the initial pull than the difference between 2,3, 4, or 5 panels and nothing to do with the speed of deployment (choke).
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »
if they mandate chutes for bikers I'll quit!!! chute in a cage is good but on a tumbling rider i think not so good... even if the chute bloom delay is "0" i still don't want the risers to get wrapped around my exposed neck :roll: go ahead put one on your bike, you be the Guinna pig.. not me
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »
They are in common use for Hi Speed water and snow events with a substantial margin of safety.
The tumble, out of shape, and long slide are the most dangerous for a fallen participant.
Ask the guy that came off the rocket bike about his experience.
Sky diving and military  chutes have a pretty good record and far more chancce for a failure.
Something that is sorely lacking is suitable back protection that is in common use for other MC competition.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 06:07:44 PM »
Falling is inevitable, safety is developed as a skill and requires attention also. :wink:

....when I mentioned to a boss once that I "expected to crash" when riding a m'bike on the road he looked at me with utter alarm and said "that's the last thing I EVER think" .....I explained that in that last moment when things go bad it's better to feel prepared than surprised....I once uttered a gentle "look out!" in a descending tone as a light SUV  a friend was piloting flipped, after the crash ( airborne , no cage) he said , "do you remember what you said?" ......."ah , yes Charlie , I've been waiting to say that to you for years".... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.