Author Topic: spill plate dimensions  (Read 2584 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

spill plate dimensions
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:45:46 PM »

My question is why do people cut the underside of their spill plates off......it may look better but I can see no dimension that says they need to be cut off......I could see someone saying that you needed to maintain a 2" distance from any angle of the spoiler.....this would still make a 12" radius from the contact point of the spoiler!

I may be out of my mind but to me the more surface area of the spill plates behind the car is the most important.....seems odd that people would chop off the underside.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

dwarner

Re: spill plate dimensions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
There were complaints about Rich Manchen's Alfa. So instead of trying to beat him there was a rule put into place that will limit the spill plate size. With the spoiler laid flat/parallel to ground your spill plate sides cannot exceed more than 8" above or below the the spoiler plate.

DW

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 11:47:01 AM »
Thanks DW.

What I should of asked is it legal to make a spill plate as I had in the pic without the under-cut that I have seen in most spill plates.

I found an example pic of a car that answered my question:

http://www.millerdesignmfg.com/119_resize.jpg
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »
 "So instead of trying to beat him there was a rule put into place that will limit the spill plate size."
[/quote]

I think Dan gets it. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »
The shape and size of the end plate is also used for tuning of the wing.  You can increase down force and decrease drag at the same time with the shape and size of your end plate.  This helps maintain the pressure differential above and below the wing.  An important part to look at when designing your end plates is the height of the end plate to the relative span of the wing.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”