Author Topic: Fuel Tank Vent - what to use?  (Read 6049 times)

Offline JimW

Fuel Tank Vent - what to use?
« on: May 30, 2007, 09:10:37 AM »
I need to vent the fuel tank I just built.

What is being used for a fuel tank vent?  Something that allows air in, but won't let fuel out in case of a roll-over.

Is there a standard device?  A line to a catch can?  Coil of tubing?

Thanks!

Jim.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Fuel Tank Vent - what to use?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »
Fuel-Safe makes a roll over check valve.  Several others also I'm sure.  Check the advertisers in the back of the rule book.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »
Take the end of the vent line to an area that is protected as well as any other fuel line. not in a low pressure area, drains well, and ends up above the tank in an upset.
A little baby filter on the end will keep out the same stuff you want to keep out of any other fuel line. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:45:01 AM »
Pretty standard street rod stuff: $11.00

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=97/category_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd97.htm

This should meet federal standards.  Suitable for Bonneville??

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »
Take the end of the vent line to an area that is protected as well as any other fuel line. not in a low pressure area, drains well, and ends up above the tank in an upset.
A little baby filter on the end will keep out the same stuff you want to keep out of any other fuel line. :wink:

Jack, had a hard time doing this because we couldn't decide if the car would be on it's top, right or left side.   :-o
So we spent the $10 on a vent check instead of plumbing all the possibilities...  :roll: 
Stainless

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
If you need one I have a brand new, unused Jaz filtered tip valve.
(the fuel cell I purchased came with one).
Will take $15 if you are interested.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D220020&N=700+115&autoview=sku
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:03:33 PM »
Check valves are a good start but ff you route the vent line out the top, around to the right and across the bottom to the left, what part is not on top above the fuel level in any rollover upset ?
Even if you stand it on it's nose, with the line routed from front to back as it goes around it will work where a check valve won't.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 02:07:54 PM »
Check valves are a good start but ff you route the vent line out the top, around to the right and across the bottom to the left, what part is not on top above the fuel level in any rollover upset ?
Even if you stand it on it's nose, with the line routed from front to back as it goes around it will work where a check valve won't.  :wink:

Yep, that's pretty much the way the line out of the check ball goes, except for the front to back thing, not expecting it to stand very long on the nose or tail...  :-o  It's the belt and suspenders mindset that helps get you older  :wink:
Stainless

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 02:22:39 PM »
'The belt is just to show off your buckle before "DUNLAP", but it is the suspenders that keep you pants up."
We will let Sum report on my full race adaption. :wink:

DUNLAP defined: When your belt line is bigger than your ass and it "DUNLAPPED" over your big gold buckle anyway, suspenders are indicated.

Offline JimW

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.  I'm going to use a combination of line routing, check valve, and end filter.

Thanks!
Jim.

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 01:28:40 PM »
Make sure your filter, vent lines etc. are big enough. you can run out of fuel pretty easily.

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 09:01:14 PM »
Richard is sho nuff right on :mrgreen:

At higher flow rates of fuel use, the vent, filter and lines needs to supply air above the liquid level at an equal or greater capacity or it has the effect of changing the fuel delivery curve. :lol:

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.