Author Topic: Ford 9 strength  (Read 26923 times)

Offline Unkl Ian

Re: Ford 9 strength
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 10:51:49 PM »
Is the Ford 8" rear an option for lower classes ?

Thanks.
Ian
I guess the answer is "a Secret" .

Offline hitz

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2007, 10:54:59 AM »
Is the Ford 8" rear an option for lower classes ?

Thanks.
Ian

I HOPE SO!

Harvey

Offline rebelce

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
    The basic rear end is almost finished. No nuts, cherries or whipped cream, vanilla all the way.  The axles were swapped, left for right to offset the pinion, giving my rear a little more room.
    The drag car I crew broke the timing gear right in half, so we picked up a steel straight cut set.  I have used these in the past and they whined like a loser on election day.  These came polished and were very quiet. It takes energy to make noise and I'm sure these folks didn't do it for looks.  Is there horsepower to be gained from this?    Also, where does one find nozzles to spray the oil?  I've been considering adding a brace to the bottom of the rear end housing and letting that be my sump.  The oil would gravity drain down, away from the gears, be picked up, cooled, filtered and sprayed from there.  Sound plausible? 

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2007, 11:32:10 AM »
I used an electric motor to run my dry sump system.  Once I calculated the volume I picked up the correct pulleys and some belts and put this together.  Still need to build a shroud and mill the shaft down a little.  If you add a brace on the bottom to double as your sump wouldn’t that hang down in the air stream?  Why not add the brace to the back of the housing where it will do more good and build a small sump?  I will try to post some pictures of the sump I built.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2007, 06:15:02 PM »
The sump I built looks more like an overgrown hockey puck.  Just machine flat the bottom of the housing and make something like this to fit.  I used an “o” ring to seal it with a –8 coming off the side.  I had Mike at Patterson build me a small tank.  He used the same style of baffling that he puts in the off shore race boat dry sump transmission tank.  He thought this type of baffling would work better and wont starve the system when the parachute deploys.

As for the nozzles I made mine once I figured out the spray pattern I wanted.

Offline rebelce

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2007, 07:15:07 PM »
You sure have some purdy parts there!  I did chuckle a bit when I saw your pump assembly.  I was just in the shop thinking of a very similar solution.  Tho I do think building my own nozzles will be out of the question, too many unknowns. When do you think it will be ready to run?

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2007, 11:14:14 AM »
Nozzle poss: pressure washer (pick your own spray pattern, but they're much higher pressure than your pump), oil burner, fuel injector.

Offline rebelce

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2007, 08:32:51 PM »
I found oil burner nozzles an attractive thought. So looking them up, I found them available in 30 degree and 45 degee sprays, in solid or conical patterns. Flows from fractions up to about 20 GPH.  I guess the next step is putting together the pump assembly and seeing how much pressure and flow the 12 volt motor up will put out.

Yes, a sump hanging down in the wind wouldn't be good. If it did, I wouldn't use it. Most of my energy is going into the head and fuel injection system right now anyway. The rear end will work as is.

I still would like to know about micro polishing the gears.  I've heard pro's and con's but not enough facts.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2007, 09:39:17 PM »
the gph rating of oil burner nozzles is at 100 psi, so you might want to start with a bigger nozzle than you think. the copper mesh on the back side of the nozzle is strainer that stops easily, but can be removed.
good luck
robbie

Offline maguromic

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2007, 10:40:36 PM »
I would not micro polish gears, it makes absolutely no senesce.  If  you look at the face of gears they ride in valleys and peaks.  When the gears are micro polished or REM finished, those valleys and peaks are eliminated.  All you end up with is more friction and heat.  Its far better to take them to a good shot peen shop and get them done. 

When I tested the different rear ends on the chassis dyno there was enough of a measurable difference between the shot peen and the micro polish gears that I wouldn’t want to run the polished or REM gears.  Micro polishing is good if you can get a Ra1 or better finish for DLC coating.  The only people that I hear running micro polished gears is NASCAR guys, then again they use bajo fittings on their dry sump pans to help flow.  Hmm Hmm.  Maybe this is why there is only about 10 cars on a given Sunday that has a good shot of winning, the rest are grid fillers.

Maybe one of the engineers on the board will chime in on this.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:56:05 PM by maguromic »

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:04 AM »
Yes, if your pump won't produce 100 psi, IIRC flow through an orifice ~ square root of (new press ÷ old press), so if you have 45 psi the new flow rate is 67%, so use the inverse or 149% of the nominal size to get the actual flow at 45 psi. If you have 60 psi: 129%, etc.
Shur-flo makes a nice small 45 psi 1 gpm 12 volt electric pump with iso mounts.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2008, 10:09:31 PM »
Another area is the gear oil itself. Run the lightest you can get away with and also the smallest amount. . . . . they normally ran 2 qts of 140 wt in it, they checked the temp one time after a run and it was over 250 deg F! so they next run they put in one qt of ATF,
No heat and they ran 8 or 9 mph faster and a couple of tenths quicker. So there is power in the diff.

Rex
I like the idea of running ATF in the diff, and I know the I/PRO Subaru Justy used it in the transaxle, but don't some ATF's lubricate better than others?  I'm not familiar enough with ATF to risk a rear end on the wrong formulation.  Would a light deisel grade motor oil (5w30) be a better compromise? 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Geo

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »
We ran ATF in our sedan car road racing in SCCA.  We would run all weekend in practice, qualifying and the 20 minute race.  No wear problems.  Regular rear axle with hypoid gears.  I know... top speed was only in the low 100s.

Geo

Offline Meteor

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
Someone mentioned the 8 inch ford rearend. it woould be fine for the lower classes up to about 300hp for drag racing. I ran a 311hp 200 cubic in 6 cyl. in a 66 Mustang coupe and never tore the rearend up. raped the C-3 trans then went to a full C-4.

There are some shops that do posi units for the 8 inch. I am going to keep the 8in. in my Mercury unless I destroy it. since there is less shock with 3:00 to 1 gears I dont think HP will be that big of a problem with 400 HP since its not being launched like a drag car.

John

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 09:28:47 PM »
According to Beaver at Winters QuickChange rear ends, " you don't need no stinkin rear end pump to run five miles, unless you want one more do-dad to chance screwing up".........Bob, who spent three grand there and was talked out of a pump.................
Bob Drury