Author Topic: what say ye  (Read 17122 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: what say ye
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 11:40:16 AM »
"APPAIRENTLY MOST INTERPERTATIONS" (ya gotta just love them words if you don't know what you are doing, don't care except to take care of your friends, or have the respect of the competitors) don't work unless you are allowed that degree of freedom.
Make it clearly simple and equally applied, even for boys, and you will have something to be proud of.
Short of that is just short. :wink:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 02:17:02 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2007, 01:51:31 PM »
ya know i don't think this was to be another "bag on the SCTA" thread. when i put myself in there shoes i think the scta is doing a good job. The bike side of our fun is growing alot faster than the car side. I think we have alot more "creative rule interpreter's" that want the rules bent there way. this causes the bike rules to get really complicated. the more we push the rules, the more complicated they get, needing more clarification. to answer the question about this thread... the tech inspector was at fault, as was the competitor! Listen,,, we have a good bunch of tech inspectors at el mo right now.. the biggest problems are at Bonneville when we get the once a year inspectors that have there own agenda an there own rule interpretation. Eliminate them and the problems will "reduce".... and the tech lines will "increase". So tech yourself, follow the printed rules, ask for clarification beforehand, actually be specific in your question and don't ask a leading question... if you ask " what is considered in front of the rider"? ask instead " I plan to add a oil tank at the bottom of my bike and i intend to make it a wedge shape for better air flow"? You will absolutely get a direct response, whether it is positive or negative in your direction, but you will get a response. The tech guys are volunteers and most have day jobs.... direct questions that only require a yes or no will make every one happy.
kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »
Who was it that mentioned the bad experience at tech that also generated the bad press ?
I guess some people are treated more equal than others.
The cases mentioned are really real and not MOST riders APPARENT INTERPERTATION.
"Politrics are strange bedfellows."  :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2007, 02:58:55 PM »
Yes it was me... giving an example how some things get through and others don't. My experience came from a once a year tech guy at Bonneville. I will also add, I have had problems with the "oncer" tech guy in the car lane at Bonneville almost every year, so the problems are not limited to just the bike side. i have "never" had a problem with the regulars at elmo. I will also take this opportunity to actually say the the asshole tech guy is actually "one" guy... for 3 years he "f" with me... last year when he came over and asked for my log book to tech me I said "no"...I'll wait.  Since '05 i will only allow Lee, JD, or Mike to tech my car, and will only allow Russ, Tom, or Rob to tech my bikes. I will, and have waited all day to only allow them to tech my stuff. I absolutely trust these 6 guys with my life.... no one else!!!! If they tell me i need to change something I'll do it without question and hopefully on the spot with them watching. Trust comes from both direction, me trusting them to keep me safe, and them trusting me to keep myself safe.  On the other hand, Bob and Van are very good friends, that's exactly why i would never let them tech my bikes! I would never want to compromise our friendship with my creative "rule interpreting" junk, thats another reason why i take my bikes to the head honchos... lol.
kent

bak189

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:19 PM »
Speaking for myself and my team.......we have found no problems with the "regular" SCTA/BNI Tech. inspectors, they do a great job.
Tom Evans and I go back a very long way, and he does a outstanding job.....yes, Tom and I have had our problems, but Tom has always taken time to explain where I was wrong in my interpretation
of a certain rule.  The problem some of us have is not with the great people working Tech. but with the procedure and the no input on rule writing and rule changes.  In addition it would be nice to know who is on the rules committee, and who is making the rules for us M/C racers at BNI.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2007, 06:09:31 PM »
I want to say that I wasn't "baggin' on the SCTA".  As with Bob I trust Tom or Rob to tech my bike.  I don't have any "interpretive" fittings on the bike.  The thing that bothers me is the fact that fundamental changes (i.e. the modified class rule change regarding engine manufacturers) are done with very little time before the El Mirage May meet.  That and the lack of input asked from the riders.  But I do feel that it is tech you are going through not classification.  If you feel that the mods you have done are legal be prepared to back them up.  That is unless you know.............................................................
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2007, 06:59:11 PM »
While I realize this thread has turned into a bike issue, I would like to add a little input.  Ten years ago I showed up at Speedweek and after a 43 week car build plus three days on the salt, I finally made it to tech.  Jim Miller proceeded to poke, pull, push, tweak and eyeball everything on my car and although I was squirming with angst, he treated me with respect and offered nothing but encouragement and a few helpful suggestions.  I have taken my car thru tech at every Speedweek since, and not once have I had a problem with any inspector and I don't think I have ever had the same one twice.
This brings to mind , why are the bike guys having so many problems?  Could it be attitudes, ego conflicts, lack of reading and re-reading the rule book, lack of preparation or as some have posted, a lack of knowledge by certain inspectors?
Perhaps if you guys had more participation at club meetings you might get your club reps to put more pressure on the SCTA/BNI to better train the bike inspectors.  If there is a problem with certain inspectors, tell the club reps and have it passed along to the organization.  Are the problems being caused by too many classes or by entrants rolling up to tech to find out if they are legal or not?   As many have suggested, if you are not sure you are legal, call the tech guy listed in the rule book, and better yet send him PICTURES rather than holding up the line arguing  a moot point.
A while back, J.D. suggested having pictures and pertanent information as to changes or modifications in your log book, and I think thats a pretty good idea.
I am not trying to rag on bikers or anyone else, but most problems turn out to be a two way deal...........
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2007, 07:15:59 PM »
Could it be with over 1800 MC classes they get a little confused in MC tech. The car rules guys had their changes before the end of the year, why didn't the bikers again this year. I'm starting to sound like Dolan. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
i believe, and stand ready to be corrected, that all this years changes were because of incidences from last year. I am confidant none of the changes were to disqualify anyone and those negatively affected still have some class to fit into. if you want to be involved, get involved, some of you might not be able to, but try anyhow.
kent

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »
Can I slightly derail this thread and ask what's the "average" time it takes to get a motorcycle through tech inspection at Bonneville? I'm thinking for instance the typical Aug Speedweek. Just wondering!
Thanks!
(I'll make it there some day - I hear they have no cones! :-D )
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 10:49:40 AM »
Depends on when you get in line as there is usually over 100 bikes at speed week. The 1st day is the longest. It's one of the reasons we are starting inspection etc. a day early. Don't worry Deb, it's worth the wait and you get to see what everybody else has as well.Cars and bikes. It's a happening.

Oh, by the way we do have cones but no turns in the shut down area until you turn out. Hope you are healing fast and will be back soon, say hi to Todd.

Glen :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 11:03:19 AM »
Can I slightly derail this thread and ask what's the "average" time it takes to get a motorcycle through tech inspection at Bonneville? I'm thinking for instance the typical Aug Speed week. Just wondering!
Thanks!
(I'll make it there some day - I hear they have no cones! :-D )
Deb

As Glen said you can't race until Sat., so you get there Thursday or Friday early in the morning and while some of the crew is setting the pits up go get in line.  You will be done sometime that day and it will be the last day you feel rested, unless you just drove 1800 miles straight through  :evil:, then you won't feel rested again until about a week after you are back home  :cry:,

come on out,

Sum

bak189

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 11:18:18 AM »
The BUB, has NO cones.........short Tech. lines.........
shorter waits to run..............more hotel rooms.........
cheaper hotel rooms..........cooler weather............
National and International Records...........Sidecars w/passengers...........free bottled water...........many
M/C Liners...........World Fastest M/C liner........
Smiling faces, because they pay$$$$$$$$$$$$.....
Great FREE Award presentation (with food)..........
And the really BIG ONE, NO CARS.......ALL M/C..........
See ya there............................

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »
Sidecars w/passengers <-- Sweet, I'm gonna stick Todd in the hack!  :evil:

Ok, but really, I didn't ask how long are the "lines" I really was wondering about how long does it take to tech the bike. Like, I roll it up under the tarp, hand Mr Tech my sheet (or however that goes), start the stop watch....   About how long does that part take? (assuming newbies take longer and the old salts can be a bit quicker) So whats the norm? 5 minutes, 15, 30, 45, an hour.... ?

Thanks!

Deb

(PS: Glen, healing away & rarin to go! Check-up in a week to see how the progress goes & hopefully a "back on the bike" date then!)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 12:29:32 PM »
Short lines, long wait., and so it goes.
The FIM tech failure should make good reading. :wink: