Author Topic: what say ye  (Read 17125 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: what say ye
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 10:21:38 PM »
Was wondering if someone was going to take notice that it doesn't APPEAR to belong in a modified class also(actually it does).

Good eye for the picture only Jon, whether referencing the seat height or the wheel coverage caused by the number plate.

I checked it eye level in the pits, and a stringline will pass the seating position height test to the top of the RIMS to allow it in modified.

The wheel coverage explained in the streamlining section is "only" over by .375"-.500" and was done by another team some years back that took it way past the limits(pictured below, although we have found that going strictly by the picture is not a wise choice).

And since this bike obtained records and points in this configuration(illegal for any class actually), we have since allowed(or even overlooked :-o) "very small" overages  in this area for number plates, suspension settings and wheel position due to chain adjustments, etc. (especially for newcomers).
Unless of course it's something else I'm missing?

-----------------------------

In February of 2004 the ECTA MC Committee defined "forward of the rider" for an entrant as follows:

Forward of the rider in regards to Partial Streamlining is defined as:
"Anything in front of a contoured line drawn on the front of the riders body while
being viewed from a 90 degree profile and with him/her in their riding position".

That was our answer and many feel it still fits perfectly fine today.
Todd

racin jason

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »
bob
you would be correct if your statement was for any other race organization, but not the SCTA. In the SCTA you are SOMETIMES scrutinized to the legality of class entered right from the start... I have had a couple of arguments with mostly the bike tech guys, any even withdrew my 750mps bike from speed week 03 because of it. It was an ugly, ugly scene right in front of the magazine editor (Peter Jones) who was to race the bike ( he did not have a kind opinion of SCTA tech procedures in his article). The worst part of it was that there was 3 other bikes that were teched and currently racing that event including wink (one of the event tech guys) and Jasons bike was in impound not 30 feet away with the same tail on it!!!! Legality is truely with the eye of the tech guy... It is a well known problem and Latten is trying to fix it right now, i believe we will. My advise.. get your stuff legal to the book and race it at one event before b'vill so you can fix any problems before you go to the salt... Shoot that reminds me of another story about my 'liner's fire nozzles
To answer your question if you put a devise in front of the rider, that has a definate purpose, then it will be legal. But if you make a round edge or make it into a wedge as an attempt to get better air flow around it, they'll bust ya. if you mount a conputer, that would normally fit under the tail, up on the front fairing bracket and then angle it rearward, then yes they will bust ya. The tech guys arn't stupid.
kent

Just to clarify Kent, my AIRTECH LSR tail was perfectly legal. The tail was modified when i installed it to conform with the rules that year. The seat area as supplied was too low to be legal because with the rider in position it was impossible to see the entire rider from the side. I cut the original seat pan out and lowered the tail until i could be seen 100% from the side profile. I also trimmed the length and a substantial amount of material around the rear wheel to conform with the 180 degree rule. If i remember correctly that year there were other tail sections running that weren't 100% legal.
Then there was the time i was protested for a front mounted battery

:-D :-) :-)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 10:31:38 PM by racin jason »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 10:45:43 PM »
I guess I don't get it.
If you can't figure out what forward of the rider means you probably can't spot them in the first place.  :roll:

Jeez Jack,

You slap us for not knowing the rules, then slap me again for asking for clarification.. What gives???

There is always a reason for a question.... You think about it some more...

Jon

The question was legitimate and the answer didn't match, did it ?
Even worse is the selective application.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 10:47:22 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2007, 11:23:23 PM »
 So to summerize , it all boils down to the individual who is inspecting  on that particular day and at that particular time ,as to how they wish to interpret said rule ,not a particularly fair state of affairs and when you add in words like "apparent" it really becomes a joke ,apparent to whom ,add in the ambiguous and non defined "forward of rider " I think the rule needs to be clarified , drop "apparent" and add a more scientifically based word or phrase(it either does or does not streamline)  and define what "forward of the rider"   means so all have a common datum
Gary 
slower than most

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2007, 11:33:34 PM »
So to summerize , it all boils down to the individual who is inspecting  on that particular day and at that particular time ,as to how they wish to interpret said rule ,not a particularly fair state of affairs and when you add in words like "apparent" it really becomes a joke ,apparent to whom ,add in the ambiguous and non defined "forward of rider " I think the rule needs to be clarified , drop "apparent" and add a more scientifically based word or phrase(it either does or does not streamline)  and define what "forward of the rider"   means so all have a common datum
Gary 

And who you know or who you are...  :x
Who said "if you think there is a Clique, you ain't in it"?  Oh, it might have been me in another post...  :wink:
Most of the rules are in the eyes of the beholder... (me) Oh crap, I sound like Jack, been trying to break that habit!  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2007, 01:13:09 AM »
Dean,

A valid point. We have asked all the club reps to pass on to their membership that anyone can question the legality of an entry. You guys know your class the best. If you see something amiss, step up - point out an infraction to the tech/impound guys.

I would really like to see a body class infraction brought into question during the inspection procedure. A couple of us kinda walk the line at Speedweek to try and find class violations. We can't getm' all, but we try. I also ask the tech guys to bring any thing untoward they see to our attention.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2007, 03:04:33 AM »
Well , you can't argue with that.
The greatest failure is in the "Silence of the Lambs". :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

bak189

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
Yep, it all depends who is doing Tech. inspections,
in 2001 at Bonneville Speed Week, we brought out our "new" 125 c.c. bike with partial streamlining,
passed Tech. with no problem.........came back in 2002......no go....same bike.......same fairing....we had to cut the windscreen........when in the "down" racing position the riders head was inside the large windscreen.........we were told "the rider has to be seen completely from the side except for the fore-arms and hands"  Well, that took care of our wind-tunnel work  Like I said it all depends who does your Tech. inspection!!!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2007, 11:17:10 AM »
Gosh, it wasn't that way before the current flock of wizards / lizards !
The book is now full of holes, resultant mistakes, and interpreted by personnel objectives. :roll:

Offline pookie

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2007, 04:12:47 PM »
Is'nt the bike in the 2nd picture which is showen being tech at Bonneville a SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION bike and NOT a open bike.  on page 108 of the 2007 rule book there is a picture of  a special construction bike that looks awfully close to the one in question.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 05:26:53 PM »
An open bike would be non-streamlined forward of the rider and either A or M.
Special construction would be a purpose built bike designed for LSR and may be scratch built or a mass produced bike that has been modified beyond the restrictions of a class M.  :wink:

Offline pookie

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »
     and so, Mr." D", Hawkwind would be jumping to a  wrong contusion about the bike that was pictured at tech. The bike would be Special Construction therefore allowed the streamlining" in  front of the rider." OR did I miss something in this discussion.

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 10:51:56 PM »
No confusion here mate , rule applies to both modified frame and special construction ,prolly the only part of the rule that is clear .
My original question was to clarify the legality of an idea to a limited space issue I have , If I run only at Lake Gairdner there are no issues (clearly forward of the rider means the foremost extremity of said rider,otherwise the rule would state ,rearward of the rider or midpoint of the rider )  ,if I decide to bring my junk to Bonneville it appears from the many and varied answers I have received , I'm at the mercy of the tech section and how they perceive the rule on that day ( which is IMHO a crock of bovine feacies )
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 10:58:40 PM »
Ya, you sorta missed something.
Unfaired forward of the rider is allowed in A or M and the current fashionable term for them is "naked".
Partial streamlined would have various devices forward of the rider to control or direct the air.
Front fenders are allowed on both with some restrictions as to coverage. :wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 11:03:33 PM »
Gary gets it.
I can only hope sanity returns to the methods that get so much negative attention. :roll: