Author Topic: How to untangle a parachute  (Read 16370 times)

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
How to untangle a parachute
« on: May 12, 2007, 11:11:35 PM »
Okay, so I'm outside getting ready to hang up my parachute until the next race, and here I am (again) untangling the lines.  Now it's an "X" style chute with four flat nylon "straps" running from a yoke back to each of the four points of the "X".  Invariably (sorry for the big word Jack D.) the straps do not stay parallel to each other and I sit there for sometimes 1/2 an hour of trial and error while I reach through lines 2 and 3 to grab 4 and then pull it through.  Then I pull everything tight and...Rats!  Now it's even worse... and I can't figure out what I just did so I can undo it and try maybe reaching between 1 and 4 and pulling 3 to see if that works.

Eventually I must just get lucky because all of a sudden I look up and Ta DAHH, the lines are all straight.

Now I realize that this activity does keep me off the streets making Western Civilization a bit safer for these precious few minutes, but I'm not sure that that fact is offset by the frustration I feel each time I do this exercise. 

Soooo... does anyone have, or know of, "THE" system for doing this un-tangling drill?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

Super Kaz

Re: How to untangle a parachute
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:33:13 PM »
Okay, so I'm outside getting ready to hang up my parachute until the next race, and here I am (again) untangling the lines.  Now it's an "X" style chute with four flat nylon "straps" running from a yoke back to each of the four points of the "X".  Invariably (sorry for the big word Jack D.) the straps do not stay parallel to each other and I sit there for sometimes 1/2 an hour of trial and error while I reach through lines 2 and 3 to grab 4 and then pull it through.  Then I pull everything tight and...Rats!  Now it's even worse... and I can't figure out what I just did so I can undo it and try maybe reaching between 1 and 4 and pulling 3 to see if that works.

Eventually I must just get lucky because all of a sudden I look up and Ta DAHH, the lines are all straight.

Now I realize that this activity does keep me off the streets making Western Civilization a bit safer for these precious few minutes, but I'm not sure that that fact is offset by the frustration I feel each time I do this exercise. 

Soooo... does anyone have, or know of, "THE" system for doing this un-tangling drill?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

More Baby powder :wink:!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:21:38 AM »
It is as easy as putting your pants on with the zipper in the front.
Ya, I can see where it would give you a problem.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:32:11 AM »
You think you got problems.  When I built my car a decade ago, I contacted a safety equipment vendor who many of you know, told him the pertinent info on the car, and let him talk me into twin crossform chutes tied together at the tether end by a single line, and a  non removable tether from each chuteto the single pilot chute, and packed in a single chute bag.  Everytime I pulled the chute the two chutes decided to make love and create a poorly woven Navajo rug.  Average repack time: about a hour with 50 minutes of that time spent straightening the shroud lines.  In answer to your question may I suggest carrying a 6" Bowie knife.
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:39:46 AM »
It really quite easy, you just start at the last tie, keep the straps phlat (WWJD) till you get to the wad and then pull the #4 strap thru the #2 and #3, if that makes the wad tighter, try the #1. We never take more than 29 minutes to get it straightened out...  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:25:28 AM »
When you need a new chute try to find a tri-form chute with the 3 lines...takes less than 5 minutes. Also easier to wash out at the salt.

By choking  down on the 3 lines you can lighten the intensity of the hit. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 11:31:53 AM »
WDSD ?
3, 4 , 6, 20 lines are all the same with respect to choking them down to tune (soften ) the hit.
Spend the time to pick it up properly and not just stuff it in something after you use it and the tangles will go over to bother the other guy.
They are fun to watch.
The only time we had a little problem was when my kid Sean at about 15, packed the liner chute in the pits.
The theory with that was "You train them right early and nobody has to stay late." (me)
He did a fine job and I would trust him as did Guthrie who was driving.
It seems that the drip loop from the anchor to the pack was around the flagging that surrounded the pits.
Now in comes the knife to save the day. :wink:

POP QUIZ:
What do you think he cut ?

PS: Don't tell the stake pounders because it is a big part of their life.  :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 09:59:56 PM »
So, ummm... we've confirmed yet again that this forum is full of uummm... (let's be generous here) information. 

But the question remains.  Assuming that the chute gets tangled is there any "system" to untangle it?

Thanks (I think)

Jim
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »
The best and only system is to figure out why it tangled and work on that.
Pick it up as carefully as you pack it and it will do the rest. :wink:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »
Stop me if I have already told this one, but several years ago as I am walking by the Ferrari with the Big Block Chevy stuffed in the back, I noticed one of the guys stuffing a wadded up parachute in the bag.  Assuming they were broken and leaving, I asked him what was wrong.  "Nothing" he replied, "just packing the chute".  I stared in disbelief at a quarter million bucks worth of car and offered him a five minute lesson in repacking a chute.  "Thanks, he says, this thing never comes out untangled"..............go figure.  As I walked away I made it about fifty yards and here sits a Pantera with a guy doing the exact same thing.  It just shows money does not automaticly buy brains.  Not that I want to create any more work for the Safety Inspectors, but I wonder how many cars and car owners don't have a clue about how important proper chute packing is.  Thank God Floating Mountain isn't any closer.
  Jim, start at the tether base, straighten the shroud lines at that point, and walk towards the chute keeping the shroud lines straightend as you go.  Have your partner start untangling the chute when you are half way to it.  If this does't work or if your partner is missing, reach to your side, pull our the Bowie knife, and attack the wad like O.J. Simpson in a rage.  Always carry a spare chute for such emergencies.................Bob
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 12:58:41 PM »
I just thunk up a new profit center to keep my kid gainfully employed and his dad fully FUNded.
Bob, can you be the "Barker" ? :wink:

I just couldn't help myself. LOL

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
Arf.................... :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Richard Thomason

• http://www.dannyboystreamliner.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 02:19:42 PM »
I know exactly who you were talking about. One of the ladies from his pits spent quite a bit of time in our pits and were amazed that Ed and I packed our own chutes. Maybe those guys should figure out before hand how many runs they are going to make, buy that many chutes and change each run. Then send them back to the manufacturer for repacking.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 02:57:16 PM »
I know exactly who you were talking about. One of the ladies from his pits spent quite a bit of time in our pits and were amazed that Ed and I packed our own chutes. Maybe those guys should figure out before hand how many runs they are going to make, buy that many chutes and change each run. Then send them back to the manufacturer for repacking.

You see what happens when I don't cut Richard in for a % ?
All that money going home without me and the blow to my FUNding is hard to absorb.
At least Bob got back with his resume right away and even before we disCUSSED compensation.
If we get an exclusive with SCTA, we can also charge the people that prefer to pack it themselves like a "Corkage Charge" in a restaurant. :wink:

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »
Yeah, Bob.  That's pretty much what I do.  Except for the Bowie knife thing.  I guess I'm just not a big $$'s racer like y'all so that I can use a dispos-a-chute.  It's just that when I get back to the chute I sometimes appear to have just one line twisted and I can't figure out how to "un-twist" one and not re-twist another.

Oh well... maybe Jack D.'s translator will show up today and re-write some of his "wisdoms".

Later,

Jim
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License