Author Topic: First time at the lakes  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Walter

• Nash & Kirchner, P.C.
First time at the lakes
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:05:02 PM »
I made my maiden voyage to El Mirage this past weekend with some old friends running a C Fuel Roadster.  I have competed in and watched many different kinds of car and motorcycle events for more than 4 decades, but had never even spectated at the lakes or the Salt Flats.  I was struck by the atmosphere which was much like drag racing in the Sixties:  lots of fun, good people, and some great racing.  I will be back!  It helped that the car I was there with (Steinegger & Eshenbaugh C/FR) ran 233 on a 228 record.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: First time at the lakes
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 10:51:34 PM »
Kinda refreshing, ain't it... :-D
Except for the heat, the sun, the dust... you now what I mean...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline promachine

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 11:01:27 PM »
That was a great pass, and even though he was running on our record I am
looking forward to what he has for us in June.
We would hate to loose that record but are still fans of any bad ass, nitro
burning , real highboy roadster that can put one down the track.
Pull that belly pan off and make it legal, I will cheer you on with a tear in my eye. Good luck! :cry:
                 John Beck/ 811 fuel roadster
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline Walter

• Nash & Kirchner, P.C.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »
Part of the charm of LSR racing is people like John rooting for their own class competitors to run faster.

The S&E boys were a little bummed about the floor pan issue (bevelled, not 90 degree angle).  They bought the car built that way, have run it only 6 times and did not realize the problem.  The Tech fellows said they have known for years the car had an improper floor pan, but never mentioned it during 6 prior tech inspections to the new owners....until after they set a record.  It'll be fixed for the next event and they will be back running strong.

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:00:49 AM »
Walter,

As sad as JD and I were to deny the record it is not the safety inspector's role to certify the body. The rules are written to certain class specifications and if not clear there are many people you can ask for help. In the impound we do not see every car that is running, only those who quailify for a record.

Cars and rules change, it is the entrant's responsibility to ensure their car is legal for the class they are running. We had seen the car for many years and knew of the step pan issue. Maybe the seller coould have mentioned that he was warned several times, maybe not. All I can say to anyone is buyer beware.

I look forward to the car being back in impound and being able to hand Al one of our Merlot colored El Mirage 200 MPH Club hats. The changes we discussed to modify the wheelbase and other items will certaintly make this one roadster to be feared.

DW

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:05:45 PM »
Dan --

What was the wheelbase issue?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »
Not a problem. They are going to stretch the wheelbase a few inches. They are short on the overall length so they will add to the hood and move the rear axle back.

DW

Offline mkilger

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »
Is the roadster that ran 233 going to the lake next weekend?? Hope they got there (step pan) fixed. nice pass.

Offline Walter

• Nash & Kirchner, P.C.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 09:55:14 PM »
The plan is for the Steinegger & Eshenbaugh C/FR to be there in June with the pan fixed.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 01:07:59 AM »
If there was a known discrepancy in the vehicle, would it not be appropriate to enter it in the log when an inspector knew about it ?
If an official has prior knowledge of a vehicle that is not in compliance and lets it repeatedly go, is that not a disservice to the rest of the field ?
Can anyone name another racing organization that works like that ? :x
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:10:29 AM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:00:07 AM »
If there was a known discrepancy in the vehicle, would it not be appropriate to enter it in the log when an inspector knew about it ?
If an official has prior knowledge of a vehicle that is not in compliance and lets it repeatedly go, is that not a disservice to the rest of the field ?
Can anyone name another racing organization that works like that ? :x

BNI !!  :x  or was that a rhetorical question, sorry Jack I couldn't tell  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 09:16:05 AM »
Jack,

A slip thru the cracks. JD thought I had told them and I thought he had told them. I would think that option three would be the seller mentioning that he had been told several times that the step pan was illegal, and finally buyer beware.

Won't happen again,

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 01:19:55 PM »
The "Won't happen again log" has multiple purposes and a good result if used correctly. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"