Author Topic: cb radio  (Read 9211 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: cb radio
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 10:04:45 AM »
The big problem at the salt is hand helds with attached antennas may recieve ok but don't transmit with the antenna in the cab of a truck. Thats why we would really see dash mounted radios with a good roof mounted antenna. We need to hear you as well as talk to you. It's still the best link of communication we have. Work with us on this.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 10:38:18 AM »
1/2, full, with and with out metallic guy wires, and on a all metallic vehicle that is additionally grounded to prevent "Salt Rabbits" will fail to proceed when you get a lightening strike on the past horizon as one example.
Other times they can work just fine.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 11:40:20 AM »
The miles aren't any longer at Bonneville, compared to El Mirage -- There're just more of 'em.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 11:42:52 AM »
Jack, for chrissakes, I just got up and am barely into my second cup of coffee.  What the hell did you just say?  Is this some Jihadist code?  Sign me Vaccant in Vancouver...................
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 12:48:49 PM »
Jack, for chrissakes, I just got up and am barely into my second cup of coffee.  What the hell did you just say?  Is this some Jihadist code?  Sign me Vaccant in Vancouver...................
You have to read the post in total to follow the progress.
Try again.
Remember:
 You have to read it yourself from the beginning. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:58 PM »
Ok, Ok, I WANT TO TRY!

1/2, CB antenna full, CB antenna with and with out metallic guy wires,to hold them and on a all metallic vehicle that is additionally grounded to prevent "Salt Rabbits" (on the roof of your car with a ground strap to avoid . . . What the hell is a Salt Rabbit? The shock you get from the static build up?) will fail to proceed (work) when you get a lightening strike on the past horizon (lightning strike in the vicinity) as one example.
Other times they
(CB radios) can work just fine.

HOW'D I DO, HUH? HUH?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 09:55:47 PM »
I feel a hangover coming on.................. :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 07:19:55 AM »
Wait, wait!  It's my turn to try:

"It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide."

There.  Is that clearer now?

About the longest CB antenna you'll see on a (moving) vehicle is the old 108" whip -- the kind that usually has a big spring mounted at the bottom and no loading coils anywhere.  That's a 1/4 wave antenna.  Anything  - ANYTHING - shorter than 108" is provided with a coil someplace in the antenna to make the electrical characteristics of the antenna longer than the antenna really is.  So, for instance, while it might be possible to make the antenna "act" as if it is a full wave long (11 meters, or about 36 feet), it's a trick done with loads to change the actual length into virtual length.  There are some advantages to having a longer antenna -- but there are some DISadvantages to having loading coils in an antenna, so a "full wave" antenna that isn't literally a full wave long -- isn't necessarily better than a shorter antenna with no loading coils.

I mentioned guy wires only to point out that a long antenna isn't very stable when mounted on a moving vehicle -- so some stability-enhancing critters, such as guys, would be necessary.  That guy wires are hard to keep attached to the ground when the vehicle is under way --- was my point.  Non-guyed antennas do exist, for sure -- we've all seen tall poles that aren't guyed.  They commonly have big structures holding them in place -- like a big-ass lump of concrete buried underground, to which the pole is firmly attached.  Back we go to the difficulties of the real world -- having an 8'x8'x'8' cube of concrete under your RV will no doubt make for challenging handling and poor fuel economy.  If the RV is parked, on the Salt, for instance, the BLM would like be upset by the equipment you'd have to bring in to install that hunk o' cement.

Back to real work for me -- gotta write some commercials.  Have a nice day, ladies and gentlemen.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 10:27:07 AM »
On the average , you guys are pretty average.
Bob's hangover is likely from too much coffee, but he knows that and does it anyway.
Glen knows abour "Salt Rabbits", light flashes, and grounding also.
Single conductor, and wired in series timing cells will pick up a charge from the salt by just lying there.
I have measured as much as 8 VDC in a single wire that is just streached out for 6k feet and attached to nothing.
"Salt Rabbits" are the unseen things that would occasionally trip a cell.
There is a cure for that. :wink:

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
The cure for that:

Kill the wabbit!

Rick
Rick

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 11:53:14 AM »
Aaaaaah, now I don't get it....................  Another cup Edith.............. :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 12:25:40 PM »
Jack, et al,

I would like to collect a few "salt rabbits" for scheduled release so that my junk would trip the lights just fast enough to get me into the "phantom salt rabbit two club". I hear that you get a lime green hat and the award is presented by a six footer with long ears named Harvey. :-D

Counterpoises and random ground planes and capacitive coupling aside, there is some weird stuff that happens on the salt and on the sea. :-o

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline John Nimphius

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
"Counterpoises and random ground planes and capacitive coupling aside, there is some weird stuff that happens on the salt and on the sea."

Nothing more weird than we see here!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 02:42:26 PM »
In the days of the visible light source and incandescent bulb we had some problems.
Higbee and I were setting up the lights way after dark one night and testing communications for a private testing session.
The motorhome / clock operator would call a hit on the clocks as we drove them but we were still 100+- feet away.
It turned out to be a moth that was drawn by the light source and flew up every time we approached.
That is just one case of a "Salt Rabbit", there are pure electrical ones also.
We only seemingly missed 2 times since 89 and we found they missed the lights both times.
I can't  fix that.