Author Topic: question about record setting  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

question about record setting
« on: May 06, 2007, 09:56:11 PM »
Lets say someone ups a record a few MPH after making their two passes and is all checked out but did not want to push their car as hard as it could for whatever reason....(new car, did not want to hurt the motor, testing settings ect).....

If you wanted to re-run, as you already have the record, to raise what you have already done do you have to run twice again......or do they take the last two runs (the last run you made on your first attempt) and the new run......or the fastest of the three and discard the lowest?

Thanks for clearing this up......

-JH

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Larry Forstall

Re: question about record setting
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »
SCTA mandates two consecutive runs. Once two runs are completed, the record attempt is over. So NO you can't keep making runs to try to better your past performance. Before 1990 the first run didn't count, it merely qualified a competitor to attempt a two-way record run.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 10:56:02 PM »
Well does that mean that you can officially discard a run attempt....

Lets say a guy goes out their and makes a pass....and blows a fuel pump fuse and crawled by the last trap at 35mph.......does he then have to make another run to cancel the bad run or can you discard the first run, or do you have to set a record setting run on the first attempt? If the current record was 200.01 and I ran 200 on my first run I would want that to be my first attempt....even though it technically was not at record speed...would not want to run twice again especially if I knew that I would be able to make a record average in my next.

It is too bad that you cant mix and match runs....to me as long as the car did two good runs it should not matter if they were done in separate paired sequences as long as you were able to get it done during that speedweek.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:57:54 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:00:36 PM »
You have to go faster than the current record to be able to qualify for the second run to set the record.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
Once you have made your run over the existing record and come to Impound, you will stay there until a return run is called for (always the next morning with possibility of the same day if it is the last day).

If you leave impound with the vehicle; your qualifying run will be negated and you will need to start the process again.

The next morning you will make a return run, when it is averaged with the previous qualifying run, and if it averages over the existing record you will have said record after it is certified. Also the same relative mile will be used and only the highest average will be used, you do not get to pick if 2 or 3 are over the record.

If you choose to raise it, you must now qualify on the higher "new" record which has been set. You will need to return to Impound if you are successful in doing it and run the following day.

Do not try to over think this process.  Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 11:38:42 PM »
I think Bub even changed to that format for 2007.  You must exceed the current record for a run to qualify as the first half of a record attempt.  Something goes amiss, start over.  it is really easier than the SCTA pre 1990 qualify and then 2 record passes  :wink:
You never are required to take a slower than you think you can go run, but anytime you run against your own record, it is easier, so take the soft one, then move it up after it is yours...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 11:43:09 PM »
Thanks all......
Makes sense now

*Andres Segovia