Author Topic: Motec help--Jon/Joe  (Read 8543 times)

Offline firemanjim

Re: Motec help--Jon/Joe
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 04:27:44 PM »
OK,I bit the bullet and called Dave.Had a talk about what I needed and he is putting together a quote.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 07:22:19 PM »
Jim,

If need be I can share a couple pictures of what we did with our cam sensor and pickup  and crank sensor and pickup if need be. If that will help and give you an idea let me know and ill post them here.

jon

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2007, 12:50:39 AM »
Jon,yes pics would be great.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

landracing

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2007, 01:42:21 AM »
Here are some pics of the cam sensor we made. Because of limited space, between the valve area, this was the only logical place and is a very slim FRAGILE piece. With a magnet expoxied in the middle of the collar that was made. Just clears everything. This is the second design (note the FRAGILE mentioned before). John Gowetski (Speed limit 1000) gets credit for the piece. Then a bung was welded on the valve cover for the sensor.

landracing

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2007, 01:52:07 AM »
As for the crank sensor setup. At the time of initial build, and of course because its a 1992, there isnt anything in aftermarket for this piece of junk, we adapted a piece to work. I was running a Schnitz controller at the time and it only worked with Dyna pickups and coils. So I looked around the catalog and found a pickup and sensor for a KZ1000 early 80's. The we modified the crank rotor to fit on the end of my crank, and some small modifications to the pickups and got them bolted in place.

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 12:20:16 PM »
Here are some pics of the cam sensor we made. Because of limited space, between the valve area, this was the only logical place and is a very slim FRAGILE piece. With a magnet expoxied in the middle of the collar that was made. Just clears everything. This is the second design (note the FRAGILE mentioned before). John Gowetski (Speed limit 1000) gets credit for the piece. Then a bung was welded on the valve cover for the sensor.

Is the collar two pieces that are screwed together and held to the cam with that clamping force??  An index pin or anything??  The magnet goes into that hole??

Good work guys,

Sum

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 01:08:58 PM »
[quote author=Sumner link=topic=2386.msg28202#msg28202 date=1178295616

Is the collar two pieces that are screwed together and held to the cam with that clamping force??  An index pin or anything??  The magnet goes into that hole??

Good work guys,

Sum

[/quote]

Yes it is screwed together. I made the first one from aluminum but because of the .25 magnet it was too thin, only .300 between the cam lobes, then I used 304 stainless to make another. The magnet goes in from the inside with only a .230 window so it will stay in at speed. It clamps good so we didn´t need an index pin. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
Yes it is screwed together. I made the first one from aluminum but because of the .25 magnet it was too thin, only .300 between the cam lobes, then I used 304 stainless to make another. The magnet goes in from the inside with only a .230 window so it will stay in at speed. It clamps good so we didn´t need an index pin. :-D

Thanks, but a couple dumb questions yet.  I'm not familiar with the head, are the two bottom arrows pointing to lifter bores and is that were you come up with the .300 between them (horizontal arrows)??

Sum

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 04:11:50 PM »
Sum.

You are correct it is the lifter bores that were the problem. I am in Costa Rica, so I didn´t get enough sleep to think straight today, but I am having a great time. If you need something you are welcome to PM me. John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »
Sum.

You are correct it is the lifter bores that were the problem. I am in Costa Rica, so I didn´t get enough sleep to think straight today, but I am having a great time. If you need something you are welcome to PM me. John

Well keep having fun..........probably the first info I've gotten out of Costa Rica  8-) ........and good info at that  :-D .

c ya,

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »
They have computers in Costa Rica??  :-o
Have fun, I should be in Denver when you get back.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »
Guys thanks for the endorsements and yes will be at speed week and bub.. speed week generally my vacation to go play.. BUB donations accepted LOL.. Jon get some fresh beer LOL use the left over one for thawing some ice LOL.. Though I can not figure out how I would leave one behind.. Angela probably distracted me.. LOL.. Jim have figured out both what i think you need to do with options will call either later today or tomorrow afternoon..
Dave