Author Topic: torqueing your nuts!  (Read 9831 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: torqueing your nuts!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 01:39:41 PM »
"Made in China" isn't a brand name?? :? :?

Mike
You would be surprized. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 03:09:35 PM »
I wasn't going to chime in on this thread, but today's the day I decided to declare it officially springtime in the U.P., and installed the Moon Discs on the pickup.  As long as I was doing that -- I put on brand-new lug nuts, seeing as how they're a 22mm hex but everybody used a 7/8 on 'em for the past 2 3/4 years -- so the shoulders were pretty rounded.  Yes, I was one of those sinners -- but to go along with the DeWalt next-to-the-biggest 1/2" drive 18V impact wrench tool I bought myself for Christmas -- I got a 22mm impact socket, too.

So off came the old ones, on went the new.  I had put some anti-seize on the threads of the studs a year or so ago -- and it got so dry and sticky that I had a hell of a time getting the old ones off.  I decided not to use it any more on this application.  I spun the new nuts on and used the DeWalt -- which does not have variable torque -- to snug up all eight on each wheel.  Then I checked with a torque wrench, and son-of-a-gun, they're at just about 100 ft-lb.  Okay, they'll stay on 'til tomorrow when I'll ask the GMC dealer what the factory spec is.

As a comparison, the Chicago Pee-new-matic impact wrench, running on 80# shop air, gets the nuts to way higher torque (although I haven't measured it).

If nothing else this thread has got me to torque my wheel lug nuts (notice how carefully I explain what nuts I'm torquing -- no teasing me, hey?).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 10:10:19 PM »
Torquing your nuts brings up the vision of twisting and force which caused me to cringe at the thought.

One thing I never thought of, but made good sense was to put anti-seize on the bearing interface between the lug nut and wheel.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 11:18:21 PM »
Well grade 5's 1/2 X 20 threads call for about 76.5 ft lbs -  according to some charts -  but all make it clear it's an unexact science.  grade 8's call for about 119 if I recall.  Chevy calls for 100 lbs -  that what I always torque to in road racing or autox.

I have torque sticks -  I guess I'll start at about 85 and check after each run.  The idea of keeping stepping up in torque until the wheel holds it's value -  that sounds like a winner to me!

See Jack -  I do listen to experience -  particularly when they give me actual numbers and information -  instead of spouting useless self inflating grandeurization rhetoric.

carl Johansson

Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 11:44:31 PM »
[quote author=

See Jack -  I do listen to experience -  particularly when they give me actual numbers and information -  instead of spouting useless self inflating grandeurization rhetoric.

carl Johansson

[/quote]
Not Jack :roll: :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »
The answer was matched to the level of the question that you seem to have had the answer to all along. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 12:00:37 AM »
Quote from: JackD link=topic=2361.msg27794#msg27794 date=1177813085
[/quote

The recommended torque is listed and is not the same for all fasteners even if they are the same physical dimension.
I might suggest you ask the supplier unless you have already used him up. :roll:

Jack has a real good piece of advice here- had bunch of  Italian bolts & nuts for track pads on  D-8- looked in cummins book for torque- 400 ft lbs- worried about quality of foreign bolts -called supplier- he said 400 seems a little high- torque to 275 and give em 2 flats- surprise-surprise- my wrench only goes to 600 lb = 1 & 1/2 flats-and these ended up an estimated 800-bright spot- made pulling on wrench easier as 1" air wrench did rest..russ P.S. I have better luck w/ open gear grease instead of never seize {as long as fastener doesn't get hot}& we have the bville locktite here all winter long--hwy depts see to that..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 12:07:16 AM by russ jensen »
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.

Offline Freud

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 12:27:28 AM »
I've heard of Little LuLu using axle grease but "torquing your nuts" is
a painful sounding term to me. Is it common in the vernacular of
todays youth or of their parents? It must be bad if it includes a hex.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:59 AM »
I've heard of Little LuLu using axle grease but "torquing your nuts" is
a painful sounding term to me. Is it common in the vernacular of
todays youth or of their parents? It must be bad if it includes a hex.
FREUD
Don't mind him.
I tell him all kinds of stuff just for effect.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
'On young, true squirt.
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 05:23:39 AM »
There's great stuff in I think a chapter called "Why things break" of Carroll Smith's book "Engineer to win" .The book also has chapters on steelmaking ( :?) which I (at least) found fascinating.....his explanation of the limited useability of bolts exceeding 8.8 is neat and sober...there's also a great graph showing the effects of different lubricants or the lack thereof on the applied and actual torque on fasteners .And , he's funny too. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline russ jensen

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 11:07:07 PM »
I wasn't going to chime in on this thread,   I had put some anti-seize on the threads of the studs a year or so ago -- and it got so dry and sticky that I had a hell of a time getting the old ones off.  -----I put this in another post & got to thinking that if people in some regions of country don't know what kerosene is-there are probably don't know what I'm talking  bout w/ open gear grease.. It's not what you think of when you think about grease- it sprays on & films over  & doesn't collect dust etc.-works better than anti seize where high heat isn't a factor-- I get my supply {aerosol cans} @ napa-called open gear lube - Mac's  1366- ..russ
speed is expensive-how fast do you want to go?-to soon old & to late smart.